The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

I've used 24/0 in seedling and then 18/6 and 20/4. I've read some comments from growers that 24/0 has resulted in a decreased yield but I haven't seen any research to confirm that.
I think it's a good idea to let the ladies have a little nap, also give my lights and electric meter a little break.

I think it's a good idea to let the ladies have a little nap, also give my lights and electric meter a little break.
Yup, a lot of growers follow that, myself to some extent. What is interesting is that a plants "dark period" doesn't have anything to do with lighting - plants do their "dark period" processing in 24/0 the same way they do at 18/6.

Re. the electric meter - no doubt. I live in CA which has/had the second highest rates in the lower 48.

The killer for me is the 14k BTU portable AC unit. My little 2' x 4' tent is in an unheated garage in SoCal so when it gets really hot, I have to cool down 500 sq. ft. of garage. If I do a grow this summer, I'm definitely going to let temps rise a bit higher.

Yup, a lot of growers follow that, myself to some extent. What is interesting is that a plants "dark period" doesn't have anything to do with lighting - plants do their "dark period" processing in 24/0 the same way they do at 18/6.

Re. the electric meter - no doubt. I live in CA which has/had the second highest rates in the lower 48.

The killer for me is the 14k BTU portable AC unit. My little 2' x 4' tent is in an unheated garage in SoCal so when it gets really hot, I have to cool down 500 sq. ft. of garage. If I do a grow this summer, I'm definitely going to let temps rise a bit higher.
Yup, I am in So Cal also, Lucky to be on the coast, but it still gets hot... I grow in a insulated shed that I built in my back yard (approx 60 square feet). I gave up on the AC, my electric bill was going through the roof. I keep lights off during the day (9:am - 3: pm). I have a 8" AC Infinity exhaust fan with a controller, fan comes on at 76 degrees and does not shut off until temp drops to 75 degrees. I have a filtered passive air intake, so when it gets warm I have constant air exchange. Temps pretty much stay the same in the shed as it is outside during the day and stay around 75 at night. When I finish my current grow I will do a Indica photo grow and hopefully have that complete by July...

Yup, I am in So Cal also, Lucky to be on the coast, but it still gets hot... I grow in a insulated shed that I built in my back yard (approx 60 square feet). I gave up on the AC, my electric bill was going through the roof. I keep lights off during the day (9:am - 3: pm). I have a 8" AC Infinity exhaust fan with a controller, fan comes on at 76 degrees and does not shut off until temp drops to 75 degrees. I have a filtered passive air intake, so when it gets warm I have constant air exchange. Temps pretty much stay the same in the shed as it is outside during the day and stay around 75 at night. When I finish my current grow I will do a Indica photo grow and hopefully have that complete by July...
Never checked it before but I'm 12 miles by road/10± as the crow flies. Laguna Beach & Newport Beach are noticeably cooler. Just ten miles inland is too much of a good thing for me. I did time in the desert when I was in the Army so I can deal with high heat but the temps in the Inland Empire are just brutal for growing.

"I grow in a insulated shed that I built in my back yard" - that's so great. That's an excellent idea for venting the building and it sure paid off. No $$ for AC. Tremendous. Any issues with nute balance or with high levels of water consumption?
I gotta admit that I've pondered the idea of buying or building a shed and, one of the things that I couldn't get my head around was the AC issue. Sounds like you're on to something!

Never checked it before but I'm 12 miles by road/10± as the crow flies. Laguna Beach & Newport Beach are noticeably cooler. Just ten miles inland is too much of a good thing for me. I did time in the desert when I was in the Army so I can deal with high heat but the temps in the Inland Empire are just brutal for growing.

"I grow in a insulated shed that I built in my back yard" - that's so great. That's an excellent idea for venting the building and it sure paid off. No $$ for AC. Tremendous. Any issues with nute balance or with high levels of water consumption?
I gotta admit that I've pondered the idea of buying or building a shed and, one of the things that I couldn't get my head around was the AC issue. Sounds like you're on to something!
I grow in 20 gallon grow bags, Living organic soil. I only need to water once maybe twice a week. I only top dress with Malted barley, kelp meal, neem meal, crustacean meal, Microbes, coconut water, teas. Also Buildabloom from BAS. I was born and raised in the IE... Been out of that area for almost 35 years now.

:thumb:Learned an interesting tid bit yesterday. While chatting with my hydro shop owner, it turns out that the nutes (non sponsors) I have been using for the past four years have not gone up in price in the eighteen years he has owned the shop. Doubt there are many products out there that can make that claim. Best part is, $40 in product will equate to 2+ lbs. bud, and there ain't nothin wrong with that.:lot-o-toke:

:thumb:Learned an interesting tid bit yesterday. While chatting with my hydro shop owner, it turns out that the nutes (non sponsors) I have been using for the past four years have not gone up in price in the eighteen years he has owned the shop. Doubt there are many products out there that can make that claim. Best part is, $40 in product will equate to 2+ lbs. bud, and there ain't nothin wrong with that.:lot-o-toke:
I switched off of bottled nutes after my last grow. No sense paying to air freight something that's 99% water.

I switched off of bottled nutes after my last grow. No sense paying to air freight something that's 99% water.
Growing organic is so much easier... :hookah:

Growing organic is so much easier... :hookah:
Never even looked into organic growing.

I've got no complaints about RDWC and I like the fact that it's "cut and dried" (so to speak) - X number of gallons of water, N grams of this, Y grams of that. Add in so many µmols of light for so many hours. The numeric aspects of it fit my way of thinking and it's clean - water, shiny plastic, small electronic and mechanical devices…gadgets.

Put that all together and out comes weed. :smokin:

Works for me.

I grow in 20 gallon grow bags, Living organic soil. I only need to water once maybe twice a week. I only top dress with Malted barley, kelp meal, neem meal, crustacean meal, Microbes, coconut water, teas. Also Buildabloom from BAS. I was born and raised in the IE... Been out of that area for almost 35 years now.
35 years - it's changed a bit! I've been here in North County OC since 2005. Believe it or not, they found places to put more roads!
:)

20 gallons is a big SOB, right? Watering just twice a week must be nice. I really like the idea of being able to move plants around vs having my plants in one big res. Pros and cons to each approach, no doubt.

20 gallons is a big SOB, right? Watering just twice a week must be nice. I really like the idea of being able to move plants around vs having my plants in one big res. Pros and cons to each approach, no doubt.
Doubt he is moving a 20 gal. grow bag very far unless on a dolly. Hydro systems tend to limit mobility. Would love to have the ability to move around my plants but working in small grow spaces limits that. My solution, and again there are cons, is to rotate my whole system allowing access to plants in the rear.
Easily turns 180 degrees in either direction without getting lines entangled. Although this works well it is still no perfect solution.

Doubt he is moving a 20 gal. grow bag very far unless on a dolly. Hydro systems tend to limit mobility. Would love to have the ability to move around my plants but working in small grow spaces limits that. My solution, and again there are cons, is to rotate my whole system allowing access to plants in the rear.
Easily turns 180 degrees in either direction without getting lines entangled. Although this works well it is still no perfect solution.
Ingenious!

looking for some advice on cloneing, I've never had much success with it. I have 4 branches I dipped in cloneing gel and put in a cup of spring water, I have no useable soil and no money in the budget for supplies. I watched my dad over the decades start clippings from a wide variety of plants and all he did was put em in a shot glass with water put it on a window sill and they always grew. unfortunately I don't think I inherited his green thumb. am I destined for failure or can they grow roots in water, should I add some nutes to the water ? the parent plant is seven days 12/12 so I think the cuttings need to have 18 hrs of light to revert to veg, I have 2 options for light, a 9watt 3300K LED grow bulb or a 100watt 6400K CFL grow bulb. I have 5gal bucket cooler for an incubator. if they grow it would really be nice. any and all advice is welcome.

IMG_20220320_065106291.jpg

IMG_20220320_065132691.jpg

IMG_20220320_065419725.jpg

IMG_20220320_065449097.jpg

IMG_20220320_065342172.jpg

you'll be cooking them in that contraption. you're cloning, not keeping a bucket of chicken warm for delivery.

there are a billion ways to successfully clone. i hempy clone - in a cup of straight perlite - as it's so easy and hempy is my main grow media. it can be transferred easy at up pot to any media though.

others use grow plugs which make it super easy as well. again once the cutting has roots in the plug you can move it to any media of your choice. some folk literally huck them a glass of water. usually the cutting's been prepped. you should prep the stem and leaves when cloning.

you could also look in to building a cheap bubbler or aero cloner. i built a cheap bubbler before and had great results.

i'd also suggest using a better light. i clone under my main veg light. i usually dial it back to 50% or under. you could get away with using a few of the pictured lights. but you'd need more than one, in an open area, preferably with the clones under a plastic dome.

you'll be cooking them in that contraption. you're cloning, not keeping a bucket of chicken warm for delivery.
LOL at this :)

For cloning you should have 18-24 hours of light, but you don't want a lot of light. Too much light encourages the cuttings to grow instead of root. Likewise you went to keep the humidity up so a dome is helpful. Just be careful not to keep too much humidity under the dome. If you see water droplets covering the cuttings, take off the dome until they dry out. And finally clones like a warm place. Put your clones somewhere warm or use a heat mat. A bit of nutrients won't hurt but I wouldn't go over 500ppm. 250ppm of cal-mag is probably fine.

All that said I have cloned cuttings sitting on the windowsill in a cup of water ;)

:ganjamon: Here we go again. Got a couple of gals all dressed up and ready to go. One I have topped twice and one topped herself twice. Four weeks of LST and my screen is just about full. Doubled up on the lights this morning and will give them 48 hours to position themselves under the new arrangement before I flip the timer to a 12/12 cycle. Should be ready just as the heat of summer is coming on. Gotta love a spring harvest. :yummy:

Hi all…on some older posts here, I detailed my last grow. I got about 12 oz from three plants. Now I have weed to work with and I’ve been experimenting with edibles. My goal is to decrease actual smoking to give my lungs a break. I only have herb to work with…no oils or extracts.

I decarbed some weed at 250F for 35 minutes in a Reynolds’s turkey cooking bag. (I cut up nuggs to about the size of peas and lay the sealed bag flat in the oven.) Then I use a coffee grinder to finely grind the weed.

For $15 I got a 0.00 gr. precision balance on Amazon and some “0” plain gelatin capsules.

During my research, I read that certain fats enhance the uptake or mobility of the THC. Now I weigh out about 0.30 grams of decarbed weed and using a small coffee stirrer as a spatula, I blend the weed powder and the melted oil to form a sort of rough paste, and load the concoction into a gel cap. I use coconut oil (solid at rm temp-melts with a little warmth) or butter. I recommend keeping these refrigerated or used within a couple of days.

They work!! I find the little weed bombs work nicely. They work best on an empty stomach. I’ll often take one after morning coffee around 10 or so. The high develops in about an hour, peaks for 1.5-2 hours and then pleasantly fades over another couple of hours. Makes for a nice 3-4 hour buzz!
If I want a buzz after dinner, I take one about 45 minutes before I eat. The high will not be as intense, but by the end of dinner, I experience a pleasant buzz for awhile.

I have no idea of the dosage. I’m experimenting with different quantities of cannabis in each capsule, but I also recognize that every plant is different. Good luck if you want to give this a try…it’s not difficult and there’s room for creativity ! I’d love to hear comments, suggestions, or questions.

Hiker

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom