The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

Cool thread ...lots of really nice looking picz here.....but here's a few of mine first three pics are a Twizzlers auto in week 4 and the last pic is week 3 whiskey Zulu auto.

IMG_20220321_114319269.jpg

IMG_20220321_114303269.jpg

IMG_20220321_114224785.jpg

IMG_20220321_113917785.jpg

The OP hasn't been seen in these here parts for some time, but I can answer your question.

Yes, you can go ahead and top above the 4th node. When you do, leave a decent stump, as this will help prevent splitting later on as the plant gets bigger and stronger. The limbs will fight against the ties later on and it can become a weak point at the trunk, where a bit of a jostle from a bump or strong wind can cause the stem to split.

Leaving a good stump at this topping can help prevent that from happening.

Good luck with your quad! There are many who follow the practice so feel free to ask any questions that come up.

@Kanno26 has a grow going now that we helped him get started with quadlining and has asked some great questions as he learns. You can follow his here: Kanno's quadlining grow
Good point on leaving the stump as a buffer.. great idea and advice.

Good morning , QuadSquaders. Have a quick question for you. My 7 ladies and undetermined Gigi are about to go under the proverbial knife.
You say remove nodes 1-4 but if nodes 5 &6 has a 3 leaf fan, do I keep them or remove them also?
Thanks for your time and have a great week-end.
Scott
I top at 4-5 and never remove lower nodes.. everything gets bent even and gets a chance to grow... If they stay small after a canopy is established then the lowers get cut(lollipop)

Good morning , QuadSquaders. Have a quick question for you. My 7 ladies and undetermined Gigi are about to go under the proverbial knife.
You say remove nodes 1-4 but if nodes 5 &6 has a 3 leaf fan, do I keep them or remove them also?
Thanks for your time and have a great week-end.
Scott
Are you dealing with a clone with alternating nodes? Usually it's remove nodes 1-2, leaving nodes 3-4 and topping above the fourth.

With clones its a little different and I try to leave two nodes that are pretty close together since they won't be even, and then try to slow the upper one a bit while the lower one catches up.

I top at 4-5 and never remove lower nodes.. everything gets bent even and gets a chance to grow... If they stay small after a canopy is established then the lowers get cut(lollipop)
I thought that nodes 1-4 had to def. go. Thank you
Depending on how tall or squat she is, but if I’m going for the quad line I try for top above the 4th and cut off the 1st&2nd so the 3rd&4th r left
Even if they are not mature with only 3 leafs? And yeah, a few are quite squat and nodes are teeny weeny. Should I wait to ensure a clean pinch off?
Are you dealing with a clone with alternating nodes? Usually it's remove nodes 1-2, leaving nodes 3-4 and topping above the fourth.
Not clones, seedlings. May I assume that by nodeds3-4, you mean 3rd and 4th "pair"? Otherwise, I would just have 2 branches.

Thank you kindly, gents. These may be stupid questions and it is my first true grow since joining. I have 8 to care for and they are growing a tad differently although they are of the same strain, but 1 unsexed GG.

I thought that nodes 1-4 had to def. go. Thank you
Hey so this is just how I do it...everyone is slightly different. But I dont remove the lower because all the little shoots have the potential to grow big to.
Check out photos below .. I topped at forth node...cross trained it....and all the lower stuff has come to top each with its own cola....yes there is some smaller growth but I don't mind.

IMG_20220305_132344537.jpg

IMG_20220313_115930515.jpg

IMG_20220318_184632928.jpg

IMG_20220320_114707303.jpg

IMG_20220421_135651704.jpg

Hey so this is just how I do it...everyone is slightly different. But I dont remove the lower because all the little shoots have the potential to grow big to.
Check out photos below .. I topped at forth node...cross trained it....and all the lower stuff has come to top each with its own cola....yes there is some smaller growth but I don't mind.

IMG_20220305_132344537.jpg

IMG_20220313_115930515.jpg

IMG_20220318_184632928.jpg

IMG_20220320_114707303.jpg

IMG_20220421_135651704.jpg
Thanks, Happy. Seemed to work for you well. I did remove node 1 &2 on most ( not the stumpy ones) but will check it carefully from here on in. Thanks for the FYI, Bro! Always appreciated and Kudos on your present grow, sweet results. I will be happy with half of your yield my first year here.:adore:

Not clones, seedlings. May I assume that by nodeds3-4, you mean 3rd and 4th "pair"? Otherwise, I would just have 2 branches.
Yes, on seedlings it is 3rd and 4th pair, and then cutting off 1st and 2nd, leaving you with 4 branches, hence the name quadlining. Here's the first page which explains the process pretty well with pictures.

Thank you kindly, gents. These may be stupid questions and it is my first true grow since joining
Not stupid questions. That's how we learn. If something's not clear, ask. You may get slightly different takes on the details, but the principles are the same.

@Kanno26 asked some good questions starting Here in his thread if you want a play-by-play.

His plants are looking great in flower.

Oi Azimuth, or anyone... are indicas/strong indica hybrids inappropriate for quadlining? thanks for being here, really benefitting from this thread.

Cool thread ...lots of really nice looking picz here.....but here's a few of mine first three pics are a Twizzlers auto in week 4 and the last pic is week 3 whiskey Zulu auto.

IMG_20220321_114319269.jpg

IMG_20220321_114303269.jpg

Whats up with the purple, Haz? Last years' batch went that color and my tri's seemed to have dried near the end. I was sad :(
Was it the strain or a cal-mag deficiency?

Was it the strain or a cal-mag deficiency?
Wow how did I miss that...... Any how no leaf issue that was the lighting... Under the blurple they look dark... But that strain was called trizzlerz

This is my first quadlining effort. Had to put 2 outside 3 weeks ago to make room for the othersw in veg. Nights got chilly, stems were fragile but managed to train w/out damage. Need to put 2 more this weekend. Nights still cool but need the space.
Thanks to quadlining, I have NEVER seen such strong and nutrient flowing stems since I started growing a few years back.

IMG_20220529.jpg

I have 2 more to pant in 30gal. fabric to make room for the 3 that I grow indoors.
IMG_20220529_7.jpg

Thanks @Asesino85 . Well documented!:adore:

You are very welcome! I haven't been on these forums in quite some time. I am glad to see this thread is still alive and helping people out! Keep up the good work everyone!
Nice to see you back @Asesino85 ! Lots of new adoptees of your technique since you've been away. Just shows how simple and effective it is.

Hello fellow #Quadsquad followers. Since uppotting my indoors, I have been slowing cuttting my undergrowth and have started on middle fan leaves, just a couple at a time.

IMG_20220618-Deidre.jpg
IMG_20220618_Eve.jpg

I ask you all. Should I keep trimming some inside fan leaves and see if the little ones can catch up? Or remove some that have little to no chance?

I did as @Bill284 suggested and put 4 LED white lights on 24/7 above the canopies to imrove the veg growth.

Thank you and have a great week-end.

Hello fellow #Quadsquad followers. Since uppotting my indoors, I have been slowing cuttting my undergrowth and have started on middle fan leaves, just a couple at a time.

IMG_20220618-Deidre.jpg
IMG_20220618_Eve.jpg

I ask you all. Should I keep trimming some inside fan leaves and see if the little ones can catch up? Or remove some that have little to no chance?

I did as @Bill284 suggested and put 4 LED white lights on 24/7 above the canopies to imrove the veg growth.

Thank you and have a great week-end.
It's a different grow than I usually do.
When do you intend to flip to flower.
I normally clean under the skirt before flip.
And I like to leave everything until then.
I found the more I cut off the more grew back.
Plus it reduces her ability to absorb energy.
Quadlining not my Forte.
I grewem fast and big, complete opposite of this.
But it looks absolutely beautiful.
Could be pic of the Month.
Excellent work.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

The idea with quadlining isn't to have a bazillion tops but to top once, and then train the remaining branches to give you a great harvest in less time than other methods. Personally I like fewer, but larger, colas so I don't let everything grow. But I'm not topping at that point, but rather taking it off at the branch.

That's the beauty of this approach, you can train how you like after the basic structure is established.

@Kanno26 tried four different thinning methods on his last grow to find which he liked best.

Back
Top Bottom