TheEngineer - Grow Journal #1

Re: theengineer; grow journal #1

I was thinking that the lamp is only 9 inches above them, so if I put it to 600w, I'd just have to move it a little further away - they are only 3 weeks old, and came straight from LED grow lights to HPS :Namaste:

I never let mine get closer than about 6 inches or so in previous grows, but I might just crank her back up to 600w and drop a few inches closer :Namaste:

yeah, it is hard to ignore the claims of LED matching, and even beating HPS. unfortunately, I have yet to see that confirmed anywhere.

it is all very confusing, they say there is no trade off in watts, so 600w HPS = 600w LED - but does that mean total power, or actual draw power? I've even seen claims that 300w of LED = 800w of HPS!

hey 'JohnC, when using watt guides, do you go by the total wattage of the LED unit, or is it the draw watts?

ie, if 400w LED = 600W HPS, is that draw wattage comparison, or is it a watt for watt comparison?

also, in the charts above, it suggests watts per square foot - again, is this drawn or the unit's total?

thanks for your help :Namaste:

yes, it certainly is, and according to it I need 420w of LED to match my 600w HPS - but this isn't clear whether it is 420 drawn watts, or the units rated wattage.

my tent is 4 square foot [24" x 24"], so I've got 150w HPS per square foot to match with LED, which seems to be as above, 420w at a required 35w per square foot :Namaste:

I'll be able to make my mind up once someone clears up the above...

Sub'd. Looking good :) I have some of the Lemon Kush you talked about growing right now. They grow like hell under my mars 2 700w.

This was from one of my posts on my White Russians:

"I am getting another led myself and I am going for a Mars ll 1200. CO Finest on this site recommends 35 wall watts per sq foot of growspace if that helps. It is to go into a 1.2 x 1.2 M tent."

As you can see COF recommends 35 wall watts per sq foot of growspace which was then backed up by KJC posting the link as you have above.

They are both great people on here and I took the advice from them and went with it.

Hope this helps.

This was from one of my posts on my White Russians:

"I am getting another led myself and I am going for a Mars ll 1200. CO Finest on this site recommends 35 wall watts per sq foot of growspace if that helps. It is to go into a 1.2 x 1.2 M tent."

As you can see COF recommends 35 wall watts per sq foot of growspace which was then backed up by KJC posting the link as you have above.

They are both great people on here and I took the advice from them and went with it.

Hope this helps.
thats good to know! Well i was lucky since i ordered the 700w which should draw around 350 wall watts and i have 1x1m tent, so that should work out just fine for me. And also could be the reason why my plants grow so well :)

thats good to know! Well i was lucky since i ordered the 700w which should draw around 350 wall watts and i have 1x1m tent, so that should work out just fine for me. And also could be the reason why my plants grow so well :)

That's good to know isn't it?

There are loads of very helpful people on this site which is great.

sorry if I'm being dumb; but what are wall watts? is this actual draw?

that would answer my question above - I need 420 watts to match my HPS, so does that mean I need an 800w LED panel that draws about 450 watts, or just a circa 450w panel?

Back
Top Bottom