Too Old's Indoor Hempy Auto Fem Candy Cane - 2014

Update - day 27 from sprout: can finally see some growth! The girls have been on 1/4 nutes for about one week (due to increase on Tuesday, to 1/2 nutes). Both seem healthy and happy, so far so good. The light is about 12" away, and I was thinking about moving them closer, but they don't seem to be stretching for it, so I think I'll wait another day or two. Temps outside have come up a bit, and we've had snow in the last couple days, so RH is up to around 40%, which is nice.
CandyCane2014_012.jpg
CandyCane2014_013.jpg
CandyCane2014_014.jpg
CandyCane2014_015.jpg

Hope all is green in your world!

looking great man! Hope you don't mind me stopping in, Im exactly 7 days behind you with my girls.
I've never tried autos before either so Ill be keeping an eye on this one!

with all of that secondary growth, and your number of nodes, you should be in the clear for full strength feeding and topping.
My girls are being fed full strength with no ill effect. :goodjob:

Thanks Catman. I was getting a little concerned about the growth rate, but like you all said - patience, it'll come. And look! There it is!

Welcome jinn. Glad you could make it. Both ladies are at the 5th node, and compact. Good spacing between the nodes, that's why I was a little hesitant to raise them up to the light. They still look a little tender and I didn't want to fry them or overnute them. From what I've seen, the autos are very susceptible to nute burn when they are young (and they still have lots of time to catch up, if needed.) Also, everything I've seen or read about autos is that topping is a definite no-no, creates too much stress and sets them back big time. But, this is my first time, and I really am just going by others info. Anyways, welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

I believe Light addict is going to put up a tutorial after his next grow, but you can actually top autos evidently.
Other than that, Im happy to sit here and watch more lovely ladies grow!

edit: found where it was mentioned.
Multi-Strain - Multi-Media - LED - Grow

Hey Green Dreamz :)
On the auto topic of training and topping. You can most definitely top autos to great success. I used to run auto only and worked a way to top train for good constant yield. You just have to top on a micro scale, just like skunnys soft topping but lots smaller and early on. They hardly miss a beat with this. Then just use simple lst to train limbs out horizontal and into even space. I even twist the stem slightly so limbs don't repeat over each other. :) Simple but effective! :)

I think I've seen LA's comments on topping autos. But didn't he "micro-top" the buds, just to dense them up? Let me know when and where, please, I'm more than willing to top plants. If it turns out that autos benefit the same as photos, how can we lose?

Hi too old, enjoyed catching up on your nice journal. The last pics of your plants look fantastic - good job.
I would echo what Jinn discussed and posted from Green Dreamz re: the micro-topping. I've only grown autos the past years and with the cross that I'm growing (NL x Afghan x Ruderalis Skunk) the results of the ones I wallop-topped were not good; basically shocked the heck out of the plant and shut the whole thing down to different degrees to the point of not growing anymore. My cross has responded very well to micro-topping my making bigger, denser and more robust budz.
Look forward to following your gro and thanks for sharing.

:thumb:

Welcome colorfuldayze. Nice to see a new face. Thanks for the nice bit of info on the topping issue. Looks like I'm going to have to go for it. I've always liked how we can sculpt these wonderful plants, now I know I can do it here, too.

Just had a quick look via your sig link. WOW! Nice nugs, colorfuldayze. Congrats on AK's vote for reason. With CA, OR, WA, and AK joining the sensible world, all we have to do is get BC to join in and we can put the West Coast where it really belongs! Here's hopin'.

Welcome colorfuldayze. Nice to see a new face. Thanks for the nice bit of info on the topping issue. Looks like I'm going to have to go for it. I've always liked how we can sculpt these wonderful plants, now I know I can do it here, too.

Just had a quick look via your sig link. WOW! Nice nugs, colorfuldayze. Congrats on AK's vote for reason. With CA, OR, WA, and AK joining the sensible world, all we have to do is get BC to join in and we can put the West Coast where it really belongs! Here's hopin'.

Thanks too old and agreed re: BC joining in. Didn't BC previously relax laws in the late 90s? What's the status now w/ MMJ vs. personal use? cheers

:blunt:

Soup - yeah, looking at pics from last week and you'd never know they were the same plants. I think seeing them everyday blinds you to their actual progress.

Colorfuldayze - It seems that the legislation is in a no-man's land. Health Canada is in court with possession and licensing issues; unless you previously held a growers license, no cultivation is allowed. BC legislature has relaxed slightly. Limited to five or less plants, any more is jail time, not sure about possession of "dried". There is probably more to it than this, but I really don't care what they say. I don't think they are going to throw all of us cancer patients in jail. (You can still get a prescription from your doc, if he's willing). It's kind of a wait and see thing. We do have an election due soon, so maybe, it will come up for review.

Soup - yeah, looking at pics from last week and you'd never know they were the same plants. I think seeing them everyday blinds you to their actual progress.

Colorfuldayze - It seems that the legislation is in a no-man's land. Health Canada is in court with possession and licensing issues; unless you previously held a growers license, no cultivation is allowed. BC legislature has relaxed slightly. Limited to five or less plants, any more is jail time, not sure about possession of "dried". There is probably more to it than this, but I really don't care what they say. I don't think they are going to throw all of us cancer patients in jail. (You can still get a prescription from your doc, if he's willing). It's kind of a wait and see thing. We do have an election due soon, so maybe, it will come up for review.

Thanks for the info on BC too old - good to know where our neighbor is at. Sending ya'll good legalization vibes. It was also a wait and see thing in AK for years too because of the conflicting state and federal laws; however, from what I ever saw in the news over the years it was mainly/only large grows that were being shut down. Viva la legalization in BC!! Cheers

Went out to feed the ladies tonight (through 10" of fresh snow....but hey.....NO bugs), and can actually see the growth from a day ago. I micro-topped one plant, well I tried to. It turned out more like a mini-fim. Don't really know if I got enough or too much, but we'll see later. Lowered the fourth mylar curtain as well (was a little hesitant earlier in case the temps spiked on young plants, but the stems are good and the leaves are nicely formed, now), so now they are bathing in MH. Busy day tomorrow with all the snow plowing...phone's been ringing all day. Early night tonight.

Day 32 Update - really low RH today, 20%. But I guess that is to be expected at -32*C. Sat with the girls until the RH came up to 38% just to make sure (took about an hour). I don't know if it was wishful thinking, but I'm pretty sure I saw pre-flowers on both ladies. It was kind of a strange mixture of emotions finding them, first of course was Yahoo!, but then it was Hmmmm...the girls are still pretty small. Being my first autos, I never know what to expect. They are definitely healthy, and steadily growing, but a lot of uncertainty on what is supposed to be happening, how big, etc., etc. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Good news man! should get exciting soon when flowering kicks in etc. Also with my autos there was a fair bit of a gap between pre-flowers and the full on flowering kicking in, and during that gap they stretched like crazy, i've read other people say the same that they grow allot in the gap. Who knows how much :) its a mistery for now lol

Do you know much about your strain? like the size other people get them to?

Back
Top Bottom