Trade Secret: Compost Tea Recipe

I have been trying to get people to do teas on here for quite a while and just found this thread. I got a guy just a few days ago to use it and his pythium problem in his Hydro grow that he could not get rid of doing everything in the book to sterilize failed. a few days with the tea and its fixed.

Anyway the reason I am posting is the recipe up front is very similar to the one I have posted but I add Alfalfa and Crab meal and instead of Humic acid I add the ancient forest soil and let it leach out from there.

Try adding Alfalfa and Crab meal (or shrimp meal) to that and you will be very happy.

You can get it done in 12 hours but I usually go 24.

in the DWC section I have a bunch of posts on it. I like to point people at this one which came out way after I was trying to get people on board. It has a decent explanation of all the things and why. at the very end I added my recipe. For DWC you have to adjust the dose to the res size. in soil you just use 2-4 cups and drive it in with pH'd water.

Mine comes out at the end of the process at about 800 ppm and about 6.9pH.

The crustaceans will break down into Chitosan which is the main ingredient in Bud factor X. It is fantastic for all stages of growth but really makes blooming explode. Chitosan has a long list of benefits to the plant. the short of it is it makes the plant have an allergic reaction of sorts. it thinks it is infested with insects. so it runs up its natural immune system which includes running up the resin. the whole plant will get sticky to make it in hospitable. the flowers will explode trying to get a better chance to propagate.

Alfalfa is well known since forever as being very good for our types of plants.

I avoid the Bat Guano only because it is harvested unethically and unsustainably but it is great stuff. It is just real bad on the environment the way the vast majority of it is gathered.

Worm castings do the trick just fine.

There are a bagillion tea recipes. All of them are better than not using a tea.

I use a good hydro air pump with good sized air-stones and I stir it every few hours for the reasons noted. Every 12 hours you add a bit of sugars to keep the bacteria breeding. 2 times back I over did the sugars and it was overflowing with foam as the bacteria were breeding wildly...but not a big deal.

I have a bunch of people using it in their journals now and they are loving it.

You can follow the recipe I posted at the end here ... in DWC my nute uptake more than doubled. I had to start topping off my res daily with 5 gallons of heavy concentrations.

Tea Bag your DWC

I use that tea in both my hydro and soil grows.

Can someone figure out a 5 Gallon bath of tea for me. I only do about 6 plants at a time so anymore would be a waste. Growing in a 8x4x7 tent with Mars 2..1200 in soil.

I do 5 gallons all the time I just up the stuff. it is not magic nor very precise. it really matters more the whole enviro and what you are using it for. If you strictly are about the microbes then it doesn't take a lot. If you are feeding then you can up the concentration a lot.

At the link above I posted a 1.5-2 gallon recipe that I cut basically down to 25% from the 5 gallon recipe. I use that on grow betwee 4-8 plants as I use 2-6 cups per plant depending. Usually not more than 4 cups per plant.

So pasting it below and rejiggering the numbers...

5 gallons RO or de-chlorinated water at room temp or roughly 70F.

Recipe: (the units here are a totally made up thing, feel free to experiment but this is what I used)
1 cup alfalfa
*** 1/2 cup crab meal - next time I may try 1 cup and see what happens Only in bloom for beginners and I cut it in half for ya.
1 cup Earthworm Castings
1 cups Humus soil
1 cup Oatmeal
Alaska kelp fertilizer - followed bottle instructions for 5 gallons
Aphrodites Extraction - 1 teaspoon (again molasses is fine just doesn't get you as good of microbial life)
Hygrozyme - 15ml (10ml per gallon)
Fulvic Acid - 23ml (15ml per gallon)

The point is the microbes fix the uptake so it really doesn't matter how strong it is as long as you don't go way overboard. Like all things a bit of restraint is better. And don't worry about it being overly precise. You are growing bacteria in crap. The fact that you are doing it at all and fixing you roots is all that matters. Best thing you can do for you plants after a good light.

:goodluck:

:420: Hello 420mag users! :420:
LeafLady here again. For those of you who don't know us, LeafLady is our alias here @420mag and logo for our Bay Area Cannabis dispensary. We try to use the best methods of growing available.

This time we'll show you how we make the best Compost Tea for Cannabis plants in Veg and in Flower. The best part about this recipe is that you can use it for root feeding and foliar (spray on leafs) feeding. It will keep your plants green, healthy, and free of pests!

Brew 72 hours before use.
Adjust pH to 5.5 - 6.2

Keep a minimum of 2 air-stones in your res to keep it alive!

Total retail cost: $100 - $140

COMPOST TEA
Per 15 gallons.

4 Cups: Organic Compost
2 Cups: Worm Castings
1 Cup: Bat Guano
1 Cup: Sea Bird Guano
1 1/2 Cups: Sea Plex (Seaweed)
1 Cup: Humex (Humic Acid)
1 Cup: Fulvex (Fulvic Acid)
6 oz (1/2 Jar) Unsulferized Molasses

Some pictures of what we use:
Super Bat Super Tea
SuperTeaMixLiquid-gal.jpg

A higher nitrogen and potassium ratio for all-around growth made from bat and seabird guano, plus earthworm castings. Use in soil or hydroponic applications. All organic materials; no synthetics used.

Super Bat Budswel
BudswellLiquid_1Gal.jpg

For strong, multiple tops in flowering plants. A high phosphorous mix of bat and seabird guano plus earthworm castings. Use in soil or hydroponic applications. All organic materials; no synthetics used.

Seaplex

Seaplex allows growers to take advantage of the myriad benefits of Ascophyllum nodosum kelp in certified organic crop production. It provides high concentrations of amino acids, plant hormones, enzymes and more to soil or hydroponic gardens. This water-soluble supplement enhances growth, promotes increased fruit size and yield.

Humex H2

You see, humic acid provides natural carrier compounds that transport nutrients and vitamins into your plants more efficiently enhancing their growth. Enhances smell.

Fulvex F1

GRANDMA ENGGY'S F-1 is golden clear and is the purest Fulvic available. We've seen other companies trying to make and sell Fulvic Acid, but testing shows their Fulvic formulas just can't match the purity, quality and potency of Grandma's seven-time extracted brew.

Unsulferized Molasses
WS-Org%20Molasses.jpg

This stuff keeps the tea alive. Feeding sugars to the bacteria. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals and trace elements naturally present in the sugar cane plant and is a good source of iron, vitamin B6, potassium, calcium and magnesium.

Let us know if you have any questions! Brewing pictures to follow soon..
:Namaste:

I'm a newbie, I have questions how much do you feed per plant or better yet how much do you mix per plant? I don't quite understand. I'm confused. Please explain...

The only issue I see is microbial life thrives in more nuetral ph range 6.5-6.8 this is not hydroponics and we aren’t creating nutrients here , we’re targeting specific microbial life to break down the organic matter in your soil. Ph 5.5-6.2 will kill most microbial life. But a little reading on the internet would have taught you that. Your just adding more organic matter with nothing to break it down

I know this is an old post. But for any future growers or people looking for knowledge. Compost tea is a myth. It's a bunch of bullshit. Its marketed bullshit. It's expensive.time consuming and a waste of your time.

There is ZERO SCIENTIFIC PROOF it works. Its simply stoner fucking bro science passed on from stoner to stoner and preached as gospel. Educate yourselves. Just use compost.

Growing organicly with all these amendments and teas is as big of a money grab as any synthetic nutrient line and everyones falling for it.

I know this is an old post. But for any future growers or people looking for knowledge. Compost tea is a myth. It's a bunch of bullshit. Its marketed bullshit. It's expensive.time consuming and a waste of your time.

There is ZERO SCIENTIFIC PROOF it works. Its simply stoner fucking bro science passed on from stoner to stoner and preached as gospel. Educate yourselves. Just use compost.

Growing organicly with all these amendments and teas is as big of a money grab as any synthetic nutrient line and everyones falling for it.
I disagree , I do agree you don’t know what you are culturing in your teas but to say it’s a myth . Smoke another one bud ,

I do organics I don’t to teas anymore I but microbes designed for veg and bloom and I pre amend my soil and run itwith just water and microbes and get fantastic results, i got great results with simple teas aswell, but it’s time consuming and my wife hates me spending more time making bacteria then spending with her , so I purchase mine now . I know someone that will pick this right apart and educate us all here @Emilya please enlighten us.
her results speak for themselve

I agree you don’t need all this fancy expensive shit to be successful. And they do sell bullshit. But I have my own worm farm I get everything very cheap locally and it probably cost me 100$ per harvest for all my “expensive organic bullshit” my soil is used over and over again but to say it’s a myth and it’s pointless is a big reach of the truth. But I never bought into the bullshit you have to buy all these specific things. But Compared to what it cost me running hydroponic solutions , it saves me time and effort I spend more time with my family. I still don’t think you understand the concept of organics . KEEEP IT SIMPLE , your over thinking everything , I now purchase raw npk microbes grow and bloom versions and I only add it once , the worms the bugs everything else keeps the micro life up, but brewing teas trying new things is what makes things improve . I myself don’t use teas like I used to because of the I started my own worm farm and composting myself and I just do a simple worm casting molasses tea when I start my supersoil , asd my worms amendments and just water un ph’d dechlorinated water .

If you have the time “ and we all have the time right now” check out teaming with microbes . And honestly check out what @Emilya is doing , she helped me see things a little different and my grows have just got better and better since

I agree you don’t need all this fancy expensive shit to be successful. And they do sell bullshit. But I have my own worm farm I get everything very cheap locally and it probably cost me 100$ per harvest for all my “expensive organic bullshit” my soil is used over and over again but to say it’s a myth and it’s pointless is a big reach of the truth. But I never bought into the bullshit you have to buy all these specific things. But Compared to what it cost me running hydroponic solutions , it saves me time and effort I spend more time with my family. I still don’t think you understand the concept of organics . KEEEP IT SIMPLE , your over thinking everything , I now purchase raw npk microbes grow and bloom versions and I only add it once , the worms the bugs everything else keeps the micro life up, but brewing teas trying new things is what makes things improve . I myself don’t use teas like I used to because of the I started my own worm farm and composting myself and I just do a simple worm casting molasses tea when I start my supersoil , asd my worms amendments and just water un ph’d dechlorinated water .

but if your spending so much money thay it’s made you thiss pissed off over a fucking compost tea post.

If you have the time “ and we all have the time right now” check out teaming with microbes . And honestly check out what @Emilya is doing , she helped me see things a little different and my grows have just got better and better since

Again your missing the point dude. I'm all for organic growing. I understand organic growing. I've done it. I've seen it done. The benefits, taste, smell, finished product etc I'm all for it.

MY BEEF witH compost tea is its a step that can be 100% CUT OUt OF THE EqUATION, of an organic garden.

Air stones.
Air pump
Tubing
Worm castings
Molasses
Kelp meal
Buckets
Water
Space
Time
All of its unnecessary. You have one handful of good compost and it's more beneficial than 20 batches of compost tea for your plant. That's not an opinion. Thats a fact. And that's my point. That's the only point I've been trying to make. Compost tea is bullshit. It's an unnecessary step for beginners. It's an unnecessary step for the experienced.

People rely on experienced members to teach them how to grow. Well if all the experienced members going off about compost tea like they do then everyone thinks it must be legit.

It's a placebo.

Good compost grows plants. Not tea.

Mack, You are over generalizing I think. I don't believe that you can get enough microbial activity to keep a grow going, using only compost in a 5 gal or smaller container. Everything has to be perfect to keep those microbes going in smaller containers and tap water or any number of things can go wrong to stop the organic feeding cycle in a small container. It is for these folks, those who don't have the time and space to do 10-20 gallon grows, where compost teas make the difference and allow them to do an organic grow in a 3 gallon container.

Also, your handful of compost does not specialize in specific microbes needed to process specific nutrients, as a proper compost tea can do. In this analogy, one can liken your handful of compost as a shotgun approach, whereas with a targeted tea, one can specifically target a specific element that is needed, like a rifle centering in on a target.

You have also made a huge mistake in assuming that there are more microbes in a handful of compost than in a bucket of a properly made tea. This statement is so over the top full of speculation, and seriously mistaken speculation at that, that your entire call for scientific study becomes laughable.

You talk science... ok, prove this to us with a grow of your own. No teas, no microbial inoculations... just compost. Let's see how you do. I challenge you to do what I did in 5 gallon containers on my last documented grow... where I used nothing but a microbial injection product, or the several grows before that where I used my own specially brewed teas. Let's see your results based on your hypothesis, and then we can talk science.

Again your missing the point dude. I'm all for organic growing. I understand organic growing. I've done it. I've seen it done. The benefits, taste, smell, finished product etc I'm all for it.

MY BEEF witH compost tea is its a step that can be 100% CUT OUt OF THE EqUATION, of an organic garden.

Air stones.
Air pump
Tubing
Worm castings
Molasses
Kelp meal
Buckets
Water
Space
Time
All of its unnecessary. You have one handful of good compost and it's more beneficial than 20 batches of compost tea for your plant. That's not an opinion. Thats a fact. And that's my point. That's the only point I've been trying to make. Compost tea is bullshit. It's an unnecessary step for beginners. It's an unnecessary step for the experienced.

People rely on experienced members to teach them how to grow. Well if all the experienced members going off about compost tea like they do then everyone thinks it must be legit.

It's a placebo.

Good compost grows plants. Not tea.

a scientific study for you to read

a scientific study for you to read
Which was honestly a nightmare to read but it did side by sides on no teas and teas but not just one tea . They pick everything apart and make it a bunch of bullshit no one can understand , they take the plant matter the roots Do analysis on all of them , measure the root growth and how much actual plant yeiId , so everything is all there . have a hard time explaining myself and it honestly makes me look very stupid at times.

But think about it you take your compost and dry it out like your pots do , water it and I guarantee there will not be the same microbial life in your compost and the more times it dries out thoe more you loose. My first organic grow shows what not adding anything to the grow but compost and water will result I. Major deficiencies by the time mid flower rolls around

Back
Top Bottom