Transplant during late flower?

The idea that roots don’t grow in mid-late flowering is something I see repeated on the forum, but is a myth IMO. I have a Chocolate Mint OG that’s about halfway through flowering and is somewhat under potted. When/if I get time I will transplant it to a bigger pot and get some pics of general developments.

I up-potted the Choc Mint from a 3 gallon to a 7 gallon. A bit of a leap but I didn’t see any free 5’s around. I’ll keep an eye on her and check in a week or two to see what the roots look like. She’s at 30 days flowering today.

Adding soil to the top of any established potted plant will suffocate the roots. Roots grow down not up.

That's the first time I see roots coming up on top.
IMG_0792.JPG

I filled the pot with more soil.
IMG_1146.JPG

I saw roots on top again after for a while.
IMG_1147.JPG

So, I've experienced that development of the roots never stops. They go up because there is no space down.

I up-potted the Choc Mint from a 3 gallon to a 7 gallon. A bit of a leap but I didn’t see any free 5’s around. I’ll keep an eye on her and check in a week or two to see what the roots look like. She’s at 30 days flowering today.
If I had opened this topic today after seeing these photos, I would definitely transplant a bigger pot.

Despite all the rookie grower problems, we have come very close to the harvest time. I think we need another 10 days. I gave her last fertilizers yesterday. I'm thinking of just watering in the rest of the time, do you agree?

Here some photos. I'm so f excited. :yahoo:

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1140.JPGIMG_1142.JPGIMG_1143.JPGIMG_1144.JPGIMG_1145.JPGIMG_1148.JPGIMG_1149.JPG

Yeah another ten days sounds good. Looking great. :thumb:

Sometimes I cut feeding to 1/3 or 1/2 strength before harvest, instead of water only. It’s something I’m still playing around with. I’ve tried everything from water- only to full strength feeding thru to the end - still not sure exactly what I think, but I’m leaning towards light feeding for the last couple weeks.

Whichever you do, the flowers will become more colourful (even if that colour is white), stickier, and the leaves will yellow. That’s what I like to see, personally. Tastes vary- but I like to get some of the green out.
For an example here is one I harvested yesterday. It was feed at half strength for the last feeding, then chopped a week later.

Yeah another ten days sounds good. Looking great. :thumb:

Sometimes I cut feeding to 1/3 or 1/2 strength before harvest, instead of water only. It’s something I’m still playing around with. I’ve tried everything from water- only to full strength feeding thru to the end - still not sure exactly what I think, but I’m leaning towards light feeding for the last couple weeks.

Whichever you do, the flowers will become more colourful (even if that colour is white), stickier, and the leaves will yellow. That’s what I like to see, personally. Tastes vary- but I like to get some of the green out.
For an example here is one I harvested yesterday. It was feed at half strength for the last feeding, then chopped a week later.
Yours is also looking great:circle-of-love: Yield is almost 2x than mine. I think its because outdoor. How many days it took from seed?

Reason of only watering in last weeks for better smoke. Have you experienced that? And i will leave them 48 hours of darkness before harvest.

I'm researching the curing process now.

Thanks.
Looking in my journal, I planted that one way back in mid July. It’s an indoor plant- I just took it outside for better photo lighting.
Not sure why I vegged it so long. I seem to remember it was stuck in the shade somewhere below a bunch of other plants so it grew very slowly - I wasn’t in a hurry.

I flowered it for ten weeks.

I think it’s pretty much a myth that smoke flavor is helped by water-only at the end. But I find my plants are better and stickier if I reduce or stop feeding instead of continuing with full strength. If nothing else it’s a waste of nutrients IMO. Also I find they usually develop much better if I taper off the feed.
As said though, I’m still experimenting. I haven’t tried the 48 hour dark trick. A lot of people have a lot of different opinions about what to do in late flowering. Some of them get pretty loud about it. :laughtwo:

A lot of people have a lot of different opinions about what to do in late flowering. Some of them get pretty loud about it. :laughtwo:

And or any other part of the grow ;) :rofl: Some of it follows some sort of science and some of it more like old wives tales/bro science/that's the way it always been done. And some of it contradicts other things they say or do just to make it interesting ;) : "oh don't harvest it yet it has a week to go and the trichs are not ripe yet"/"I throw it in the dark for xx hours as it makes it throw out more trichs".....so is that extra undeveloped trichs or some sort of magic that happens? ;) :rofl: or "don't stress it out it will Herm"/"I like to drive a nail thru the main stalk as the stress makes it better" ;)

@Weaselcracker oh, you have very good buds then. its really long time from july. How you compare slow growing to your other plants?

i just gave them only water and they drink it like a beast. is it reducing when getting closer to end?

@Dwight Monk you're right. too many different opinions around here. everything is myth for me till I get my first yield and smoke it. i choose what I close to :)

Re the plants that veg slowly. I am always sort of busy and my grow isn’t exactly run with machine-like precision :laughtwo: I have 21 different strains and phenotypes at the moment and usually not enough room or time to manage all that stuff. I tend to squish plants together in veg and turn the lights down to slow the growth so things don’t get too overcrowded. Anyway- that’s the only reason it took so long to grow.

Yes I find they pretty much stop drinking by the end of flowering.

Back
Top Bottom