Trimming large fan leaves to increase yield?

BeBopper

420 Member
I know a couple of experienced growers. One says never trim the plant because it shocks the plant. My other friend insists that when he removes the fan leaves the buds just thrive and shoot up? I am a fairly new grower I've had a couple of tasty harvests so far. iOf course increasing the yield is very desirable.

I know a couple of experienced growers. One says never trim the plant because it shocks the plant. My other friend insists that when he removes the fan leaves the buds just thrive and shoot up? I am a fairly new grower I've had a couple of tasty harvests so far. iOf course increasing the yield is very desirable.

There are two trains of thought with fan leaves. Some say the leaves help a plant grow, even the flowers. Others say only the flowers leaves are important.

This is what I think, but still, others will argue.

A plant needs photosynthesis. That comes from leaves. A leaf is only a bad thing if it isn't helping the plant grow. Leaves in shadows are not good. They take more energy than they give. But also, flowers need light too. If a leaf/leaves are covering a flower, they must go (not a flower spot, but a true flower). In my opinion.

That means any leaf that is shadowed, I would remove, or try to make it not in a shadow (training, LST, pony tailing, etc). Training first, and if I can't get it out of a shadow, it would go

Any leaf that is covering a flower, I also would remove. The others would stay. But this would only happen once flowering starts (not preflower). Let the flower grow some, then you take the leaf to prevent shadowing.

There is more to this like what kind of light, and how well it penetrates the plant. All that is subjective to the person you are talking to.

This is all my opinion. I'm not an expert on anything.

Also, welcome to the forum... :welcome:

Ask questions..... Look at some journals, and ask why people removed or didn't remove leaves. That is the reason they are here.

Join, participate and belong :thumb:

There are two trains of thought with fan leaves. Some say the leaves help a plant grow, even the flowers. Others say only the flowers leaves are important.

A plant needs photosynthesis. That comes from leaves. A leaf is only a bad thing if it isn't helping the plant grow. Leaves in shadows are not good. They take more energy than they give. But also, flowers need light too. If a leaf/leaves are covering a flower, they must go (not a flower spot, but a true flower). In my opinion.

That means any leaf that is shadowed, I would remove, or try to make it not in a shadow (training, LST, pony tailing, etc). Training first, and if I can't get it out of a shadow, it would go

Any leaf that is covering a flower, I also would remove. The others would stay. But this would only happen once flowering starts (not preflower). Let the flower grow some, then you take the leaf to prevent shadowing.

Agree with that. Another reason to trim fan leaves is training, if you want to reshape the plant and drive growth to specific areas.

There is more to this like what kind of light, and how well it penetrates the plant. All that is subjective to the person you are talking to.

This is all my opinion. I'm not an expert on anything.

Also, welcome to the forum... :welcome:

Ask questions..... Look at some journals, and ask why people removed or didn't remove leaves. That is the reason they are here.

Join, participate and belong :thumb:

Best way of thinking I've seen so far! Totally agree! The way you explain it seems so logical!

Agree with that. Another reason to trim fan leaves is training, if you want to reshape the plant and drive growth to specific areas.

Yeah, I guess that is a good reason too. I agree with that. Like main lining or quad lining. :thumb:

Yes various thoughts & ideas about this over the years but no harm in trying ah.

In general i remove fan leafs in the last 3 weeks of flowering to get more light down to the lower bud sites as i believe it helps fill them out more.

When you look around in some styles of growing leaf removal is common practice mainly so whilst in flower.

and, some strains like it, some dont.

The gain in yield, would most likely be from the fact you open flower spots to get light, thus making those flowers larger, due to more light. But, if you didnt trim leafs, and just "lollipopped", and have the cola branches receive the bulk of the nutes for growth, your probably see more a yeaild factor then defoliation.

The premise of defoliation, is to turn larf into nugs basicly.

Back
Top Bottom