Trust this chart?

Excellent point @TurboBucket ... the chart I have points to that saying ... "VPD when leaves are 2°C (4°F) cooler than air temperature"

Yes the Leaf temp to Ambient DIFFERENCE is a key VARIABLE in the chart readings ALONG with the
GROW STAGE

I have been using the CHART above with the -2c readings BTW there is a -1c chart as well that I used
to calculate out the Difference for A ZERO leaf to ambient difference.
(Move the ANSWER 4 places to the right for zero difference)

Also found using HID & T5s I need canopy to be at 21 inches below HID for the -2c

1566670104466.png

Had the chart enlarged and printed at Kinkos just enough room to add the F readings

1566670197613.png

Yes the Leaf temp to Ambient DIFFERENCE is a key VARIABLE in the chart readings ALONG with the
GROW STAGE

I have been using the CHART above with the -2c readings BTW there is a -1c chart as well that I used

Also found using HID & T5s I need canopy to be at 21 inches below HID for the -2c

Hey @Gazoo ... I'm glad you popped in and pointed that out.

I have been assuming that my leaf temperatures were around 2°C (4°F) below ambient. I'll buy the temperature gun one day though to do canopy readings.

Actually, this week when I let the canopy drop below 30 cm (12") ... the leaves hated it and started to curl.

Alright ... ttyl

GROW STAGE

1566670104466.png

Had the chart enlarged and printed at Kinkos just enough room to add the F readings

1566670197613.png

Now that was smart and comes in real handy!

Alright ... I think I have a bit more time to read some other threads today!

ttyl

Hey @Gazoo ... I'm glad you popped in and pointed that out.

I have been assuming that my leaf temperatures were around 2°C (4°F) below ambient. I'll buy the temperature gun one day though to do canopy readings.

Actually, this week when I let the canopy drop below 30 cm (12") ... the leaves hated it and started to curl.

Alright ... ttyl

Yes I have always understood a HIGHER leaf Temp than AMBIENT is a sign of Heat STRESS, Leafs cant
cool enough

EDIT: Before I lowered the canopy and my AMBIENT temps reached 79 and above, my leaf temps
would run + 2F to ambient, so it helped me to recognize an issue

EDIT EDIT Also its good to take an average of Canopy Leaf Temps since it can be different depending on the
spot, even on the same BLADE ;)
My approach is to IDENTIFY, UNDERSTAND and ELIMINATE (if possible) as many VARIABLES as I can :nomo:
get enough of them pointed in the right direction and things start to get easier :slide:

I guess it is the uncertainty of the first grow for newcomers that cause all the questions. I ask a ton!

Asking questions is how we find answers. It's a good thing.

Just don't take anyone's, including my answers as a gospel truth and seek out your own answers. Growing plants has been a thing for a very very long time.

Before the modern day, you'd think we hoo-mans were using stone tools until the 20th century if you read all the fertilizer companies propaganda.

Farming has been a aural tradition for 1000s of years.

Someone decided to start writing things down. The answers are out there for the folks that seek truth. :passitleft: There's actual science out there too.

Just so we don't all get hung up on the VPD thing. I know it's important, but I've just harvested dried and trimmed a few plants grown in 32-35C and 60-95%RH for the entire flower cycle.

My yields were 1.3 g/watt - didn't really change much on the yield thing.

I do have some experience so I knew to keep A LOT of air moving and exchanging in the flower room as well as taking preventative measures for mold/pm.

Southern Ag - Garden Friendly Fungicide - its an organic bacteria that eats mold and the spores.

I had no mold and no PM and my plants were happy most of the time.

So like I mentioned, use those charts as a guide and don't get crazy if you exceed the sweet spot every now and again. It's not going to be the end of your grow.

I'm sure the hot summer sun at noon time temps far exceed 35C at the leaf surface outdoors. The plants will change the angle of the leaves so they don't absorb the full amount of radiation. Just another function of leaves.

Edit - here's my flowers in 35C temps and +70% RH

Just so we don't all get hung up on the VPD thing. I know it's important, but I've just harvested dried and trimmed a few plants grown in 32-35C and 60-95%RH for the entire flower cycle.

I do have some experience so I knew to keep A LOT of air moving and exchanging in the flower room as well as taking preventative measures for mold/pm.

Southern Ag - Garden Friendly Fungicide - its an organic bacteria that eats mold and the spores.

So like I mentioned, use those charts as a guide and don't get crazy if you exceed the sweet spot every now and again. It's not going to be the end of your grow.

I'm sure the hot summer sun at noon time temps far exceed 35C at the leaf surface outdoors. The plants will change the angle of the leaves so they don't absorb the full amount of radiation. Just another function of leaves.

Well said, i also see it as making it as easy on them as I can ;) keep in mind, I am just a small bit OCD :rofl::rofl:

Edit - here's my flowers in 35C temps and +70% RH

In regards to "Southern Ag - Garden Friendly Fungicide". Is this something that can be sprayed weekly up to harvest.

Only need it a few times. But you can spray I think 1 day before harvest. Gotta read the label in that.

I foliared it on 2x this summer on flowering and VEG plants. I haven't seen any PM or bud rot (knock Woody).

I have 2 plants I just harvested hanging. Everything else I ran this summer was mold and PM free.

Back
Top Bottom