Undercurrent hydro setup

I could see that keeping the water temp slightly below room temp ….you could also use a car radiator and have a fan blowing through it with water circulating through the radiator. I strongly suggest a chiller as water temp also affects the amount of dissolved oxygen in the system ..the sweet spot I have found for both DO levels and Plant growth is about 68 degrees. Not to mention it helps keep away the nasties .
My water is never above 72, and I run my air at at least 85

Hey @Chonickid007. We kind of made a mess out of your thread so sorry.
I don't agree there is good debate and things for people to chew on . That's what these forums are all about ...information from all sides and all levels of experience and types and styles of growing .

This is a shot of my meters the other day. It was 104 outside... I'm growing in a shed.

The top number (ambiant) is over 93 the water temp, lower meter is 74. A bit over 72, but it's a triple digit day

I don't agree there is good debate and things for people to chew on . That's what these forums are all about ...information from all sides and all levels of experience and types and styles of growing .
Yup

I just finished building my new rdwc setup and instead of air stones/air pumps I went with waterfall I have a 4 site setup in a 8x4 tent I have 27gal totes 3in PVC 700gph return pump eco plus mag drive which btw puts danner pumps to shame...... And for waterfall I'm using a 350gph pump for 2 sites and another 350 for the other 2 sites..The control bucket/epicenter just uses the return line into a tee for aeration for it..So I do have to note that one of my waterfall pumps started leaking when I didn't have a mag drive...So I threw in 4 large pop can size air stones for each of the 2 totes until I was able to get the mag drive back running and I super cropped and scrogged my plants and I did notice that the side with the waterfall did recoupe faster than the 2 with the airstones...I also like the waterfall better so far..It's more efficient not running a alita 120 that does like 125watts and 1.8a or sumthn...Which is running 24/7 vs 60w and . 72 amps for both waterfalls it's much quieter and has a lot less heat ...As I run my pumps inline so outside of the totes...And don't have to replace stones or diffusers so far so good....

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_073634.jpg
    IMG_20190721_073634.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190718_115111.jpg
    IMG_20190718_115111.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20190716_171605.jpg
    IMG_20190716_171605.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20190715_230355.jpg
    IMG_20190715_230355.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20190715_101158.jpg
    IMG_20190715_101158.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 61
I just finished building my new rdwc setup and instead of air stones/air pumps I went with waterfall I have a 4 site setup in a 8x4 tent I have 27gal totes 3in PVC 700gph return pump eco plus mag drive which btw puts danner pumps to shame...... And for waterfall I'm using a 350gph pump for 2 sites and another 350 for the other 2 sites..The control bucket/epicenter just uses the return line into a tee for aeration for it..So I do have to note that one of my waterfall pumps started leaking when I didn't have a mag drive...So I threw in 4 large pop can size air stones for each of the 2 totes until I was able to get the mag drive back running and I super cropped and scrogged my plants and I did notice that the side with the waterfall did recoupe faster than the 2 with the airstones...I also like the waterfall better so far..It's more efficient not running a alita 120 that does like 125watts and 1.8a or sumthn...Which is running 24/7 vs 60w and . 72 amps for both waterfalls it's much quieter and has a lot less heat ...As I run my pumps inline so outside of the totes...And don't have to replace stones or diffusers so far so good....
Nice

That is bad ass go big or go home love it

I'm working on a about 10 5 gal. Bucket system I was hoping to push water through the bottom but it's not working right maybe bigger pump but think I'm going to drop it in the top and run airstones also I want to super oxygen the water

That is bad ass go big or go home love it

I'm working on a about 10 5 gal. Bucket system I was hoping to push water through the bottom but it's not working right maybe bigger pump but think I'm going to drop it in the top and run airstones also I want to super oxygen the water
I tell you what... if you are looking to make a RDWC rig No Pains set up is pretty nice. Current Culture has answered some of the tough questions. You may want to take a hard look at that setup.

If your looking for something different theres a million ways to do it. But an RDWC rig can be way overdone. Anti-siphon? Creative ways to hold water level? Do yourself some favors and keep it simple. Not to brag, but I know mine best... mine is about as simple as you can get. For instance, where is my return line? Simple means less can go wrong. Good luck bro.

T
The gentlemen I know that use waterfalls do pretty well.

Nice build ..nothing wrong with a waterfall system . My first recirculating system I bought in the early 90's was a gen hydro aeroflow 20 (I still have it in the garage . lol ) to run what they call laser lines ( 6 foot line with 1/16" holes drilled in it ) it used a danner 250gph pump and it really injected the water into those runners (only about 6" tall) and used gravity to feed it back to the res. Anyway there was so much splashing around in there I could cut a branch as you would to normally clone it and just stick it right through the hyrdroton in the basket with no cloning gel or powder and it would root !

I use a blue diamond et120 for my system and I cant even hear it with the air manifold that I made for it . it runs the fill length of the system and is 1" pvc with a 3/8 line coming out at each bucket going into a micro bubble diffuser ring (soaker hose with a 25psi burst pressure) ...so long story short I found that generally noise associated with these high flow air pumps are due to backpressure caused by to small a line or to short a run .

That last pic looks like current culture module and there is nothing wrong with that ...I love mine .

I tell you what... if you are looking to make a RDWC rig No Pains set up is pretty nice. Current Culture has answered some of the tough questions. You may want to take a hard look at that setup.

If your looking for something different theres a million ways to do it. But an RDWC rig can be way overdone. Anti-siphon? Creative ways to hold water level? Do yourself some favors and keep it simple. Not to brag, but I know mine best... mine is about as simple as you can get. For instance, where is my return line? Simple means less can go wrong. Good luck bro.

Yes they have I bought the system for two reasons ...one its what I finally came to in my high pressure aero design. There where to more designs after the system in the grown in my sig.
second is I loved what they did with their proprietary fittings ..they provide a leak and crack free no worry seal . I had looked at building a complete system like I have now and with the materials and my time I was pretty darn close to the price of it . The materials are first rate ! If nothing else I would suggest using their buckets/lids /baskets and piping ..you cant beat it ….everything else I have hooked up to it is modified as I like to push the envelope especially on efficiency.

but yes like @Stltoed said ...keep it simple as that is pretty key ...my high pressure aero system was very efficient and gave me excellent results but it was not simple .

Yes they have I bought the system for two reasons ...one its what I finally came to in my high pressure aero design. There where to more designs after the system in the grown in my sig.
second is I loved what they did with their proprietary fittings ..they provide a leak and crack free no worry seal . I had looked at building a complete system like I have now and with the materials and my time I was pretty darn close to the price of it . The materials are first rate ! If nothing else I would suggest using their buckets/lids /baskets and piping ..you cant beat it ….everything else I have hooked up to it is modified as I like to push the envelope especially on efficiency.

but yes like @Stltoed said ...keep it simple as that is pretty key ...my high pressure aero system was very efficient and gave me excellent results but it was not simple .
My rig is 2 repurposed Gen Hydro Aeroponics systems called Rainforest. Kinda funny...

My rig is 2 repurposed Gen Hydro Aeroponics systems called Rainforest. Kinda funny...
yeah I had caught that when I first saw it ..the lids where like a 16 site or something like that originally right and it used a sprayer in the center ?

yeah I had caught that when I first saw it ..the lids where like a 16 site or something like that originally right and it used a sprayer in the center ?
Mine had 6 sites, they make other tops with 32 2 inch pots if i remember correctly. My tops broke over time so i cut up some PVC sheet to suit. I'm gonna cut the left plate up a bit more to make 14 6 inch holes and grow a SOG next season.

Nice build ..nothing wrong with a waterfall system . My first recirculating system I bought in the early 90's was a gen hydro aeroflow 20 (I still have it in the garage . lol ) to run what they call laser lines ( 6 foot line with 1/16" holes drilled in it ) it used a danner 250gph pump and it really injected the water into those runners (only about 6" tall) and used gravity to feed it back to the res. Anyway there was so much splashing around in there I could cut a branch as you would to normally clone it and just stick it right through the hyrdroton in the basket with no cloning gel or powder and it would root !

I use a blue diamond et120 for my system and I cant even hear it with the air manifold that I made for it . it runs the fill length of the system and is 1" pvc with a 3/8 line coming out at each bucket going into a micro bubble diffuser ring (soaker hose with a 25psi burst pressure) ...so long story short I found that generally noise associated with these high flow air pumps are due to backpressure caused by to small a line or to short a run .

That last pic looks like current culture module and there is nothing wrong with that ...I love mine .

Ya I'm loving my waterfalls actually and sooo glad I made that last min decision and chose to run waterfalls over airpumps.. which wat helped me like the w.f better is last week I supercropped and scrogged my plants and the same day one of my cheap 396 pumps started leaking and I couldn't get it to stop so until the new Eco plus mag drive pump 350 which btw is one bitchn ass pump and puts the danners to shame hands down.....nuff said lol....
And yes ur correct those are current culture rdwc buckets as my veg setup is a upgraded c.c 8gal setup...As I rebuilt it and had 1 grow so far since the rebuild and I'm liking the upgrades I made for it too..As I did 1in return line with PVC only and orbit fittings which more people need to start using they are wonderful for rdwc as not only are they removable but the pipe can spin so it's perfect for threads like on said pumps or ball valves..get threaded ones and u can unthread them to take it off to clean or w e instead of ball valve unions or u can always do separate ball valves and a union after....
So also that's funny you said that about ur air pump As I run airstones in my veg setup actually I have a alita 60 I use and I have a custom manifold too I use 1" fpvc from my pump to a tee and then I use pvc with another tee and then I also use 3/8 lldpe line and I used push in fittings like for r/o I used push in tees for two of the buckets and then 3/8 push in ball valves.. which I got orig so I can make sure ea site is getting the same air however I didn't need to but they do work great for checking on the plants roots and bottom of the bucket for any sludge etc plus great for keeping airstones as clean As possible and so they never suck water up w/o the pump being on so I can pull them out drain and then shut the valve off etc.. I got then push in unions they call them but it's more like a push in fitting that's a bulkhead but no gasket so it won't seal under water however it's a 3/8x1/4 union and then I tee off to 2 large pop can size air stones and it works great...
I also changed to no elbows on any of the 2in pvc so I use tees only plus instead of the cheap ass rubber end caps with the metal band clamps that can easily fail plus u have to use a tool to remove it. I made a drain kit as well which leaves 400ml in ea bucket only which isn't much esp since the buckets has x3 diff sections on the bottom of the buckets
15640343777654024895590910142572.jpg
.as I use oatey test plugs they have wing nuts and they are very clean looking and works wonders...yup all of my setups now I use tees only, test plugs, and no hoses....and ball valves before and after water pumps so u can fix a issue if u ever have a clog or sumthn w/o draining the system or it flooding for that matter....but even with my manifold and it's been rebuilt less than 4mo ago and it's still kinda loud...now nothing like the alita120s I have as they are quite a bit louder esp a hell of alot louder than the x2 350gph Eco plus pumps and even the waterfalls and fans too...not too mention it's double the power pry 3 or 4x the heat output into the system..plus having to buy air stones all the time and having to clean them etc too so ya another few reasons why I prefer waterfalls over air pumps now plus since I saw it first hand with scrogs and how the plants healed from the supercropping....
However I'm thinkn about going to hpa in a couple grows since I just finished this I'm done building for a bit but I'm highly interested and considering hpa over rdwc as 95-98%water reduction is huuuge and since I'm growing for personal me myself And I only so as efficient as I can be is huge for me too...
15640341175054894084382613826664.jpg

Ya I'm loving my waterfalls actually and sooo glad I made that last min decision and chose to run waterfalls over airpumps.. which wat helped me like the w.f better is last week I supercropped and scrogged my plants and the same day one of my cheap 396 pumps started leaking and I couldn't get it to stop so until the new Eco plus mag drive pump 350 which btw is one bitchn ass pump and puts the danners to shame hands down.....nuff said lol....
And yes ur correct those are current culture rdwc buckets as my veg setup is a upgraded c.c 8gal setup...As I rebuilt it and had 1 grow so far since the rebuild and I'm liking the upgrades I made for it too..As I did 1in return line with PVC only and orbit fittings which more people need to start using they are wonderful for rdwc as not only are they removable but the pipe can spin so it's perfect for threads like on said pumps or ball valves..get threaded ones and u can unthread them to take it off to clean or w e instead of ball valve unions or u can always do separate ball valves and a union after....
So also that's funny you said that about ur air pump As I run airstones in my veg setup actually I have a alita 60 I use and I have a custom manifold too I use 1" fpvc from my pump to a tee and then I use pvc with another tee and then I also use 3/8 lldpe line and I used push in fittings like for r/o I used push in tees for two of the buckets and then 3/8 push in ball valves.. which I got orig so I can make sure ea site is getting the same air however I didn't need to but they do work great for checking on the plants roots and bottom of the bucket for any sludge etc plus great for keeping airstones as clean As possible and so they never suck water up w/o the pump being on so I can pull them out drain and then shut the valve off etc.. I got then push in unions they call them but it's more like a push in fitting that's a bulkhead but no gasket so it won't seal under water however it's a 3/8x1/4 union and then I tee off to 2 large pop can size air stones and it works great...
I also changed to no elbows on any of the 2in pvc so I use tees only plus instead of the cheap ass rubber end caps with the metal band clamps that can easily fail plus u have to use a tool to remove it. I made a drain kit as well which leaves 400ml in ea bucket only which isn't much esp since the buckets has x3 diff sections on the bottom of the buckets
.as I use oatey test plugs they have wing nuts and they are very clean looking and works wonders...yup all of my setups now I use tees only, test plugs, and no hoses....and ball valves before and after water pumps so u can fix a issue if u ever have a clog or sumthn w/o draining the system or it flooding for that matter....but even with my manifold and it's been rebuilt less than 4mo ago and it's still kinda loud...now nothing like the alita120s I have as they are quite a bit louder esp a hell of alot louder than the x2 350gph Eco plus pumps and even the waterfalls and fans too...not too mention it's double the power pry 3 or 4x the heat output into the system..plus having to buy air stones all the time and having to clean them etc too so ya another few reasons why I prefer waterfalls over air pumps now plus since I saw it first hand with scrogs and how the plants healed from the supercropping....
However I'm thinkn about going to hpa in a couple grows since I just finished this I'm done building for a bit but I'm highly interested and considering hpa over rdwc as 95-98%water reduction is huuuge and since I'm growing for personal me myself And I only so as efficient as I can be is huge for me too...

Looks killer!

Have you seen the Fallponic system?

Nice setup. I’d like to try and mimic it.

Nice Mods to the system . I know you are using Huge airstones , you should try the micro bubbler rings mentioned earlier in this thread , they really cut down on the back pressure thus lowering the noise ..I cant even here my airpump in my room .
I did catch the drain mod in the pic (nice) I have also thought about putting one in but like you said you have three separate chambers in the buckets . my drain pump will clear out the entire system in less than 15min and so far the little bit that is left in the modules hasn't hurt anything . .But a drain kit still sounds appealing.

In regards to an HPA system its actually what lead me to rdwc ..In my sig is a grow when I first started toying with them and two more revisions after that . I did have success ...but there is a lot of things that can go wrong ( I keep a backup for everthing) ...long story short the last version of the HPA that I built was a hybrid ..the lower portion of the buckets /tubs as I fixed 5 gallon buckets to the top of tubs was a recirculating res for the HP pump and also a backup in the event there was a power failure or pump failure or spray nozzle failure as the roots after a certain amount of growth would be sitting in the solution and the upper 3/4 would be receiving the 50 micron mist . My suggestion would be to keep it simple and stick with rdwc . here is a pic of the last build and when I used blurple lights . lol if you still want to look into it I did a diy write up back then , its in our hydro section .

IMG_2799.JPG

Back
Top Bottom