So... re the two P Chunks that I was testing late flowering feeding habits with. One was weaned down to a very low level feed for the last three weeks (around 350 TDS) while the other one was fed at full strength right till harvest.

Without writing a long boring-ass essay about this not-so-scientific experiment, suffice it to say that the ‘starved’ one was far stickier, as well as smellier than the fed one. The fed-till-the-end plant had a mediocre feel and was quite dry and leafy. Easier to trim though as it was quite crisp whereas the other plant was soft and gooey.
The difference did not come through in the photos at all so I’m just posting a few random shots.
I’m not claiming anything based on this, but I’m going to keep trying this experiment a few more times and see how it goes.

The plants were left a little late and were a bit raggedy looking.
I sure do like the size and look of the buds on this PC pheno. Definitely a good yielder and generally very easy to grow and trim.

Looks rough in the pics- this bud was soft and juicy with a cotton candy type stickiness.

Is that Durple Pream really named that? Because Purple Dream has the same lineage.

I never did figure out why BID named it that. Maybe @GrizzWald knows?
I wandered around in some old threads looking. Very interesting reading through those old posts and seeing so many familiar names- most of them moved on now.

a Blue Dream mom was dusted with some Ken Estes Grand Daddy Purp regular male pollen,

That was my first thought, but I couldn’t figure out if Purple Dream had parents the other way around.
Probably a pretty safe guess.

Seedfinder says the strain from Grand Daddy Purp was a Blue Dream female ... :hmmmm:

I vaguely remember the naming discussion at the time ... but I get it confused with the Old Purple Pussy (OPP) discussion. :laughtwo: Maybe they went together somewhere.

a fine lookin specimen there friend, no surprise. sending positive vibes up and over the hills and dales,, and some chuck.

cheers and peace to ya,,

hey Weas,, a q for ya,,

curious if you have ever experimented with harvesting earlier than the generally accepted methods. you know them, i wont go into it

but i have been reading a lot of ed rosenthal s stuff at his site and he talks about trichome ripeness and the fact that even turning milky is an indication of trichome degradation and i am buying into it.

i have been sampling some early harvest buds and i must say i can notice a difference. must say

i can notice a difference

never mind the early harvest for uppy high and amber for couchlok,, forget that,, pseudo science anyway,,

just a stronger buzz, period,, up a notch, indeed.. least with this og kush i am testing,,

i recommend reading ed,, real science and a bit eye opening

cheers agin friend

i borrowed this from scorpio's thread,,,'""""""

Virgin ground said:

If there is one person I think you can trust to give you the right info, it's Ed Rosenthal. I included an excerpt from a recent article.

Other very good professional growers that you may want to check out include Kevin Jodrey and Kyle Kushman. These guys started out as underground growers that have stepped into the age of science with this plant.

What Is The Best Way To Determine Your Cannabis Picking Time?
Watch the development of the trichomes.

ultra-close-up-immature-bud-trichomes-ed-rosenthal.jpg

Macro shot of immature trichomes.
Trichomes are the stalk-like resin glands that contain the active compounds, which grow on the leaves surrounding the flowers.
The flower area becomes covered with resin glands over time.
The length of this stage of growth usually lasts two to three weeks; in modern varieties these glands ripen in seven to nine weeks from flower initiation.
Late-season and long-maturing varieties usually spend about three to five weeks in this period of heavy trichome growth.
close-up-mature-bud-trichomes-ed-rosenthal.jpg

Macro shot of mature trichomes. Photo by Dynasty Genetics.
As flowers near ripeness, their caps swell with resin and the trichomes become more prominent and stand erect.
The viscous, sticky liquid that accumulates contains terpenes and cannabinoids, which are produced on the inside membrane of the trichome cap. As the resin accumulates in the cap, the flower odor becomes more intense.
The odor reaches its peak at the same time the trichomes begin to fluoresce in the light, twinkling like little crystals. In some varieties, the trichomes are so prominent that the whole bud sparkles. Using a magnifying glass, a photographer’s loupe or a microscope, monitor the buds’ progression to the peak of ripeness by watching the resin in the gland tops.
image-asset.jpg

Stalked capitate trichome with bulbeous trichome. Photo by Professor P. Dyntasty Genetics.
Under magnification, you can see individual glands turning from clear to amber or a cloudy white. These colors indicate that THC is beginning to degrade into two other cannabinoids, cannabicyclol (CBL) and cannabinol (CBN), which are not nearly as psychotropic as THC.
When the trichomes begin to change from clear to amber or cloudy white, the buds should be harvested—this is the peak moment.
The Different Types Of Trichomes
trichomes_Dynasty_genetics-ed-rosenthal.jpg

Left: Stalked Capitate Glandular Trichome. Photo by Professor P. Dyntasty Genetics.
Stalked Capitate Glandular Trichomes:
These trichomes are the most abundant and contain the desired cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids that growers seek.
Bulbous Trichomes:
These trichomes have no stalk and are much smaller than the other trichomes. They appear mostly on leaves rather than in the bud area, especially during vegetative growth, and contain cannabinoids.
Crysolith Trichome:
These trichomes do not contain cannabinoids. They grow on the bottom of the leaves to deter pests.
Sessile Stalked Capitate Trichome:
These trichomes appear during the vegetative growth stage and produce only small amounts of cannabinoids.
ripe-cannabis-bud-dynasty-gentics-ed-rosenthal.jpg

Beautiful cannabis bud by Professor P. Dyntasty Genetics.
Ripe cannabis reeks of pungent terpenes and each day brings increased intensity of odor.
Rub the leaves surrounding the bud between clean fingers and inhale. This releases aroma molecules while leaving fingers sticky with resin.
Inhale and smell an exotic medley of familiar and unusual odors that may range from sweet to acrid with outlying musks and skunks.

"""""""

sorry weas,,

my fav quote i think is in there,,

'""""""""
Under magnification, you can see individual glands turning from clear to amber or a cloudy white. These colors indicate that THC is beginning to degrade into two other cannabinoids, cannabicyclol (CBL) and cannabinol (CBN), which are not nearly as psychotropic as THC.
When the trichomes begin to change from clear to amber or cloudy white, the buds should be harvested—this is the peak moment. ' """""

note the last line there. the moment cloudy begins,, degradation begins,, loss starts of psychoactive affects,, loss starts, not all lost

Hey! Happy holidays to all you folks. All is great here and I will be back to catch up w everyone and update properly....someday. Sending best wishes out to all my ‘internet friends’ - as the girlfriend calls you. Cheers! :passitleft:

Oh hey Dick. Thanks. I wasn’t really looking for a sativa with dense buds. I guess that was a misunderstanding. I was showing some bud to a local ‘dispensary wannabee’ guy and he explained that it was all crap because it wasn’t ‘dense and rock hard’. He and his customers are programmed to only want that. I tried to explain that it’s sativa bud and not meant to be rock hard, but I think the guy only has a dim grasp of what a sativa is.

So I was asking people’s tips on strains in general with the densest hardest buds they know. Presumably that’d be indica strains. Know any?

Thanks for stopping by. I have some catching up to do with this journal for sure. Back soon. Cheers :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom