Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

well guys i'm tired and need to get up early tomorrow so i took 2 quick pics. . . i'll do more this weekend

here's one of the scrog, i can feel the stretch coming on nicely. .

PA301131.JPG

and here is the wheel

PA301133.JPG

i counted up for omenman

In the wheel there is:
5 Big plants lst'd multiple times
4 Medium size plants also lst'd, but only once (including both GWS)
15 smaller plants no lst.

so i have 24, just wish they were all in the first category.

ahh good deal..im about a week or soo a way befor filling the wheell.. what are you usiing those cloth hangers clips for?

ahh good deal..im about a week or soo a way befor filling the wheell.. what are you usiing those cloth hangers clips for?

the clothes pins are used to hold the cubes in place, if you don't use them your plants will migrate a bit in their channel. Thats how i lost those two weel plants to dehydration, i forgot a pin on one of the little clones, it migrated over to the holes on the end, dropped out of the wheel, wedged itself between the wheel and the flood tray and stopped the wheel dead in its tracks until i saw it and fixed it. Second or third time i let that happen since i bought the wheel. You pretty much need to use them, at least one per channel.

and also how many times a day are you flooding?

just once. about an hour after lights on. In the beginning i was doing once every other day, then kicked up to once a day, if they are growing fast and drinking a lot, i might kick it up to twice a day, but no more than that.

I found the hard way that you need a timer that can do 45 minutes feedings. . . two rotations of feeding in a row (1.5 hours feed time) is too much IMO.

Whoa great job man! I'll be watching this one!

looking pretty good man.. well at least you know now. next time run like your 20 plants lst'd/ but then you could always have a couple extra in there just incase you run into another problem like you did this time... i wanna see that scrog full bloom

Hey WheeloFortune you ever think about making your own wheel before?

thx for the support wheel, i am having trouble posting. the pics are in my email and all i know how to do is forward to other emails.

I saw soniq's post to you and PM. . . hopefully ha can help you out with that he's the man.

Hey WheeloFortune you ever think about making your own wheel before?

Yeah. a lot. I have about 5-6 different designs that id like to try, but I don't have the room until i get my own house. After using this system. I would really like a bigger radius, and maybe a screen inside the wheel to scrog fewer plants. also, i would like to try an aero setup with no grow medium.

i don't know if i'll ever end up making one, a vertical sog gets the same benefits of light distribution, with no moving parts. KISS right? Right now, if i was going to build something it would be an aero-vertical-octagon with a cooltube up the middle.

Yeah. a lot. I have about 5-6 different designs that id like to try

i would like to try an aero setup with no grow medium.

i don't know if i'll ever end up making one, a vertical sog gets the same benefits of light distribution, with no moving parts. KISS right?

You think you could post tha designs or PM me with em?

How would you aero a wheel?

A vertical SOG gets the same benefits of light distribution but will it produce as much as the wheel?

You think you could post tha designs or PM me with em?

How would you aero a wheel?

A vertical SOG gets the same benefits of light distribution but will it produce as much as the wheel?

The designs are mostly in my head although i did organize them on paper a few times. Whenever I build something for an experiment, it never turns out exactly as designed, so if I have a good understanding of what needs to be done, I can usually just design on the fly as I go.

i can give you a good verbal description of what i would do,

you need three things to start, a wheel, a reservoir, and for aero, I'd want an enclosement around the wheel.

the wheel:
i would either go wood, or that fake wood composite made for decking which is waterproof (but more expensive), just to make it easy to build.

i think i would want about 30-36" of grow space for a scrog plus 6" for a cool tube so about a 72" diameter which is 6'. to do this i would lay (2) 4x8 panels side by side, draw 2 centered circles, one at 6' and the other at 7'. and cut them both out with a good router, sand, etc. to make it round. now you have a big circle 1' wide with a 6' inner diameter and a 7' outer.

I would do this same thing again but this time the outer diameter would be 7'2" or so. then i would glue/screw the two wheels together, staggering the break (where the two panels seperate) by 90*, and put the bigger radius wheel on the outside as a guide to keep the wheel on track.

now do this all again to make the other side.

then i'd just screw in 4-6" planks to the inner diameter all the way around with no spaces. however wide you want to make it, say 5' for a single 1000w, or bigger of you want more lights.

then I'd space out and drill some 2" holes to hold some of those rubber foam plant holders for aero setups, and some way to make sure they are secure and wont move around or fall out. just think an anchor on each side of the hole and string or rubber bands or something.

ok, wheel done.

next, the housing for the wheel, if its aero, you need to block out all light from the roots.

the wheel design i just outlined would block any direct light, basically you could probably use the leftover cut outs from the wheel to make a big square that blocks light from either side. . . prob put on hinges so you can open up and get in there if needed.

you need to have 4 STRONG small wheels, for the big wheel to sit on, and you need to drive at least on of them to turn the big wheel.

there is room for design here, basically you have to do what fits.

then the res, I'd just run a good pump into a tray under the wheel and spray the bottom with a few aero sprayers, 24/7. if you wanted more (although i dont know its needed because the RH in there would be near 100%) you could put sprayers on the sides of the housing too, and top if the wheel was sealed very well. I'd just start with the bottom and add more if needed.

I'd let the runoff go somewhere I could easily change the res, so the res would not be hiding under the wheel like I have the volks now, its a pain to change the res. maybe off to the side a bit, plus with such a huge wheel, it would be hard to stuff it all in linearly.

that being said, after seeing it all in action, i think i would go vert instead. no moving parts = way less likely to have a disaster/failure. you get basically the same benefits, much cheaper to build, and easier too.

I don't see any major benefits from the auxin flushing that I have heard claims of. I do see it happening in my wheel, i just dont view it as advantageous yet. . . it has not produced bigger buds or anything, but then again i don't have this thing dialed in yet.

hope this helps gamer, if you ever build one, you'd be the first i know of. . . lots of talkers, few doers.

I may end up building one in the end just to be the first. that alone could motivate me in the end. we'll see what happens when I buy a house. wont happen for a while though.

of course you need to drive it with a motor, but that would be specific to how big it is, how heavy, the size of the driving wheels, etc, so would have to be figured out after we know more of the variables.

i think i could build a big wheel cheaper than buying a volks, but a lot of sweat equity would go in that is not counted. . . but labor of love means i wouldn't care about that factor.

that being said, after seeing it all in action, i think i would go vert instead. no moving parts = way less likely to have a disaster/failure. you get basically the same benefits, much cheaper to build, and easier too.

I don't see any major benefits from the auxin flushing that I have heard claims of. I do see it happening in my wheel, i just dont view it as advantageous yet. . . it has not produced bigger buds or anything, but then again i don't have this thing dialed in yet.

hope this helps gamer, if you ever build one, you'd be the first i know of. . . lots of talkers, few doers.

of course you need to drive it with a motor, but that would be specific to how big it is, how heavy, the size of the driving wheels, etc, so would have to be figured out after we know more of the variables.

i think i could build a big wheel cheaper than buying a volks, but a lot of sweat equity would go in that is not counted. . . but labor of love means i wouldn't care about that factor.

Thanks for the designs specs! A little hard to imagine but I think I get it.

What's auxin flushing mean and what do you mean but not dialed in yet?

I read somewhere that by using the wheel, the rotations causes the hormones to be more evenly spread out through the plants. Causing the plants stems to grow stronger faster without the need for fans and keep plants shorter. In your experience is this true my man?

I'm planning on doing this but like you said, "There's still more variables to figured out." Plus when I do figure out the variables. I need to move to Cali. Cause the state I live in are weed nazis!

And your right! I also see making a big wheel would be cheaper than buy the volks.

WOF what strain do you recommend when growing with the wheel? And by making the wheel bigger, are you planning on growing sativa type plants because of the extra space?

Do you have to keep flushing? (Really trying to stay on topic here WOF! LOL!)

a standard toilet will not overflow when adding water to the bowl. The water level is maintained by the S bend in the back of the toilet before emptying into the sewer line. That water is what prevents the sewage smell from coming back up the pipes and into your home!

If the water was off at your house but you had a bucket of water, you can just pour it into the bowl to Flush it. The tank in the back is for convenience only.

Thanks for the designs specs! A little hard to imagine but I think I get it.

What's auxin flushing mean and what do you mean but not dialed in yet?

I read somewhere that by using the wheel, the rotations causes the hormones to be more evenly spread out through the plants. Causing the plants stems to grow stronger faster without the need for fans and keep plants shorter. In your experience is this true my man?

the hormones you speak of are Auxins. that is just the name of the hormone the controls the plants growth opposing gravity, other hormones control the plants growth in other ways, but may not be affected by the spin in the same way. i call it flushing the auxins because because you are flushing them evenly through the plant instead of letting them settle.

like I tried to convey before, the plants have not grown noticeably faster, fatter or shorter. I just don't see it. . . this turn, using LST to do a virtual scrog, I can easily see that the auxin flushing DOES have an effect. it has been making all branches, including lower brances to all grow at the same rate.

what i said about being dialed in, is that when growing any flower, its growth rate and size and health are due to hundreds of factors, if not more. . . if any one of these is in short supply, the whole chain is only as strong as the weakest link. so for example, if you have a lot of light and great temp, and great CO2, and yada yada yada, it still wont grow fast or strong if the nutes are f'd up. likewise any weak point in the growing chain will have the same effect, so the other factors are only as good as the worst factor.

so while I have not personally seen any benefits to flushing the auxins, that is not hard evidence that they don't benefit. . . just that under the circumstances that I have provided, they have not shown any benefits. . . basically I'm just saying a better grower, or a more person experienced with this system may see a benefit that i am not seeing.

(this is only my third wheel attempt, and the first two were not overwhelmingly successful.)

I'm planning on doing this but like you said, "There's still more variables to figured out." Plus when I do figure out the variables. I need to move to Cali. Cause the state I live in are weed nazis!

And your right! I also see making a big wheel would be cheaper than buy the volks.

WOF what strain do you recommend when growing with the wheel? And by making the wheel bigger, are you planning on growing sativa type plants because of the extra space?

lol, your thinking about doing this and moving to another state??? i wont hold my breath for any pics anytime soon. but i'm still here to answer any questions anyways.

any indica will do, most indica-sative hybrids will do, esp. indica dominant. I've never grown a pure sativa before, just can't see myself flowering for 10-12 weeks. But with a big wheel anything is possible. . . in fact, you can grow anything in this small wheel using the LST techniques I am using for this grow. even sativas.

stay inquisitive bro, and more importantly do it, try it, live it. there are aspects you can never learn through reading and thinking, only by doing.

"stay inquisitive bro, and more importantly do it, try it, live it. there are aspects you can never learn through reading and thinking, only by doing."

Now thats a quote that needs to be on you sig WOF

Oh by the way, I used your quote on anther thread. Hope you don't mind.

"stay inquisitive bro, and more importantly do it, try it, live it. there are aspects you can never learn through reading and thinking, only by doing."

Now thats a quote that needs to be on you sig WOF

Oh by the way, I used your quote on anther thread. Hope you don't mind.

you can use anything i say free of charge. ;) lol.

thanks for stopping by, I'll do that.

I like to change it up every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom