White Widow, First Outdoor Grow, 2019

Cabeza

Hi everyone,

I decided to start a journal, as someone suggested on another thread that this will be a great way to ask for guidance as I enter the later stages of the grow.

This is my first time growing outdoor. I have only ever grown twice before, indoor and auto flower.

So here it goes! As I start this, we are already 11 weeks into the grow. But I'll start from the beginning.

• White Widow. Don't know much else about the genes as I got the seed in bag of weed :)
  • Outdoor
  • Soil. I mixed soil with about 40% perlite.
  • Final pot: 50-150 gallons (Im not sure, I will confirm later on)
  • Nutrients: First time that I'm a feeding a plant. I went for the GuerrillaTabs & GuerrillaJuice from Biotabs. Guerrilla Tabs (20 Tabs) NPK 15-7-8. Guerrilla Juice NPK 5-1-5

She is born!! May 12th 2019

May 22 - 2019
10 days old (Week 2)

Here she is in her starter pot. Watering once the pots were dried. I would bring them in the house at night because I was scared of the change in temperature.

You can see those two dots, the orange and black ones. I think it was bug poop. This is also the time that I noticed spider mites! I actually had another seedling next to it that got a bad infestation and never quite made it back. I started realizing that growing outdoor has new challenges.

Here's the one that got the bad infestation. I had to cut its first leaves while the new ones were only very small. More on this one later:

May 28 -2019
17 days (Week 3)

Fighting off the spider mites and the bugs that were pooping on it.

I made a spray with various essential oils. I made a mistake and sprayed it one morning with a mixture that contained Tea Tree oil. I learned later that Tea Tree oil should not be sprayed when in direct light, as it will burn the leaves. See below.

After this, I have never had any bugs problems again.

My Organic Pesticide recipe:

In a small spray bottle, I fill up with water and 2 drops of Castille soap (the soap will help carry the oils).
Then a mixture of essential oils, about 10 drops of each:
  • Neem oil - good against spider mites. I believe it makes them infertile so that they can't lay anymore eggs.
  • Peppermint oil - keeps bigger bugs away, bugs that like to eat leaves
  • Cinnamon oil - same as above
  • Lemon oil - I read somewhere that it also keeps bugs away. I like it because it hides the disgusting smell of Neem oil.
  • Tea tree oil - I stopped using it after the first times. To my knowledge, it is good for fighting funguses.
I spray at night, once every two weeks. Make sure you get all the under leaves as well. Never had a problem again.

Transplant

By this point, I already transplanted to a 3 gallon pot. I inserted a couple of the Guerrilla Tabs (NPK 15-7-8) about 5 cm under the soil.

June 27 - 2019
End of Week 7

So I transplanted! Into the biggest pot I could find. I bought this bag for less than $5 at the hardware store. I believe it is used for sand or yard waste. I will calculate the exact volume later today, but it is quite a few gallons :) Since it is weaved, it naturally breathes, but I made some extra holes all around in any case.

The roots did look like they were running out of space... so it was probably time to transplant.

I decided to give it a full feeding as well. I filled the pot with the rest of the Guerrilla tabs, and gave it a full feeding with the Guerrilla Juice. First I watered throughly, and then I gave it more water with 10ml of juice per Litre.

The bottle says that there is no need to PH the water, but I still do. I'm ph'ing to about 6.5.

July 1 - 2019
Week 8

2 days later and she is happy with her new home and diet.

Since

July 14 - 2019
Week 10

I snuck my foot in there for scale. It is a normal sized foot :thumb:

I watered the day I transplanted and then again almost 2 weeks later. I'll find the link to the article (in this forum) that I decided to follow. I have no schedule or rule of how dry the soil should be. I'm letting the plant tell me. I believe its better to be on the dry side than the wet side.

At this time, I also inserted a grid fence on top, to start diverting the colas.

So now, I need some advice:

I have quite a few main colas that are spread around. My questions is regarding the growth that happens lower on the stem. I'll try to show in pictures, but Im wondering if I should be cutting off any new stems that appear. I was doing it at first but it becomes impossible to keep up.

As well, as you can see in the first picture of the previous post, there are a couple colas that are getting way taller than all the others. Should I break them? And what would the result be?

Maybe you can see what I mean about the lower growth, my questions is if I should be trimming these before they become new stems? Leave them alone? Or only take them out once I'm in flower stage?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Welcome. Looking good. You're right about dry vs wet. I lift mine potted plants to test how much water they have. I'll let others address training but if you are in the N hemisphere, you are about to go into bloom, so if you are going to trim do it now.

There is a technique called lollipoping that’s done when you take all of the bottom stuff off leaving only the top canopy. It maximize your yields and minimizes the small pop corn bud.

You can try super cropping, or even just some LST will work by tying some branches down.

Welcome to the site by the way bro!

I’ll be sure to follow along and help where I can.

Check out the links in my signature to give you a better understanding on the site, there’s some helpful links there. :thumb:

Plant looks healthy by the way!!

There is a technique called lollipoping that’s done when you take all of the bottom stuff off leaving only the top canopy. It maximize your yields and minimizes the small pop corn bud.

You can try super cropping, or even just some LST will work by tying some branches down.

Check out the links in my signature to give you a better understanding on the site, there’s some helpful links there. :thumb:

I'll read up on lollipoping and super cropping. So far, I topped twice and I'm tying branches down to keep the canopy even and let lower buds come up. But now I don't know if I should let the lower bud sites/stems/colas?? (im not sure of the terminology) come up, or If I should cut them and let all the energy go to what is there now.

I'll read up on that stuff though, I'm sure I'll find the answers there. Thank you.

Im gonna leave her alone for now. Just maybe tie down some of the longer shoots. I have a feeling she is very close to begin flowering and I don't want to do anything too drastic.

Once buds start forming a bit, I'll decide if any need to be taken off. I'll probably do some A/B testing: I'll clean up some branches and later compare them to branches that haven't been cleaned of lower bud sites.

Lookin' good, typically you want to have all of your defoliating done before the plant goes in to flower. :thumb:

In thinks she already started. For about 3 weeks weeks there were just a couple pistills here and there, but now they're multiplying. Also, this last week and a half there was a lot of rapid growth.

This is what I've been feeding her so far, with each watering: Guerrilla Juice
The soils has these tabs: Guerrilla Tabs

So far its been great, and it says that its good for flowering too. What do you think? Should I go with something else for flowering stage? This is my first time using any nutrients.

------

And thanks everyone! She's looking great. This forum helped.

Yup she is stretching now. I am not sure about the tabs have never heard of them before. I have heard a ton of people stay away from Miracle Grow as it is slow release. I use General Hydroponic 3 part series with CalMagic organic molasses and honey and I add liquid kool bloom in flower.

Back
Top Bottom