WreckLoose First Photoperiod Outdoor Winter Grow 20/21: Gorilla Glue #4 & Banana Kush

Hard to tell what that medium actually is, but since the plant looks so happy, keep doing whatever you're doing!
I think I've found the best translation so far....

Coco fiber
White sphagnum (H2-H4)
Vegetal compost
Mix of solid macro/micro-nutrients (3g/L)
Perlite (5g/L)
Leonardite (2g/L)
Organic material: 76.2%
Density: 135.3g/L
EC: 0.52
pH: 6.5

...it's still pretty vague but like you say, if the plants are happy I must be doing something right. Thanks Shed! :thumb:

So despite my needless little panic with the PPM earlier this week the ladies have been growing really well. I haven't had much to do at all apart from a little selective defoliation (5 or 6 leaves per plant) a couple days before flip. I decided to remove the largest 4 leaves on each plant because they were completely covering potential budsites. Since removing them, the previously overshadowed budsites have exploded with growth so I feel it was the right decision. Also, the roots have only taken a week to drink up the water from last feed, so they'll be ready for another drink tomorrow. And Happy New Year to everyone, hoping it's a much better year than last (not much competition to be fair). :thumb:

So despite my needless little panic with the PPM earlier this week the ladies have been growing really well. I haven't had much to do at all apart from a little selective defoliation (5 or 6 leaves per plant) a couple days before flip. I decided to remove the largest 4 leaves on each plant because they were completely covering potential budsites. Since removing them, the previously overshadowed budsites have exploded with growth so I feel it was the right decision. Also, the roots have only taken a week to drink up the water from last feed, so they'll be ready for another drink tomorrow. And Happy New Year to everyone, hoping it's a much better year than last (not much competition to be fair). :thumb:

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. And such a vibrant green.

Caught up and from reading the discussion on the last page, your medium looks very much like an organic soil. Even with you adding nutrients, there is likely enough microbe activity in the soil to limit any ability we have of adjusting pH.

In an organic system, the roots regulate the localized pH to suit its current requirements. You can adjust your nutrient feed as per Shed’s recommendation (and should) but even if your nute solution showed 7-8pH...it’s doubtful it would bother your girl.

Given you are prone to over watering, and using nutes, you should consider hempy style. 5gal bucket with holes drilled 2” from the bottom, fill to above the holes with perlite, then fill the remainder with coco, vermiculite or perlite. It makes for a cheap medium that is nearly impossible to over water :)

Then you can feed daily if you like, feeding until you see runoff. Some will claim to aim for 20% runoff but using Mega Crop this year, I fed until I just started seeing runoff with no issues.

Even with you adding nutrients, there is likely enough microbe activity in the soil to limit any ability we have of adjusting pH.
I was also adding a dash of H2O2 in with my nute water, would that have possibly killed some, or perhaps all of the microbial life? :nervous-guy:
In an organic system, the roots regulate the localized pH to suit its current requirements. You can adjust your nutrient feed as per Shed’s recommendation (and should) but even if your nute solution showed 7-8pH...it’s doubtful it would bother your girl.
That's amazing, thanks Celt. All this info is making my to do list shorter and shorter. :laughtwo:
Given you are prone to over watering, and using nutes, you should consider hempy style.
I'm definitely getting better, the fabric pots are helping for sure and I'm trying to listen to the plants more instead of worrying they're not getting enough nutes. I had a look at some hempy videos on YouTube and I'm definitely interested in giving it a try. This is only my third grow (first photoperiod), so I'd like to try a bunch of methods in the future and see which works best for me. I stumbled across the Kratky method which also looks pretty interesting.

What method do you use Celt?
Some will claim to aim for 20% runoff but using Mega Crop this year, I fed until I just started seeing runoff with no issues
I keep hearing about Mega Crop and just assumed it wasn't available in Europe for some reason. 65$ for 5.5lbs doesn't seem too bad at all. :thumb:

Evening Wrecked, up until this year, I have always grown in organic supersoils that I make myself and allows me to be a water only grow. Works well with me having spent more time away working than I was at home.

This year I had lots of time on my hands and decided to try Mega Crop in hempy (with coco). Grew great plants but too much work for me when I do return to work. I don’t have time to water everyday when I am working.

I am currently experimenting with RDWC using the same organics I use in my soil but in solution instead. The project has been on hold for a bit due to technical difficulties (pump failure) and being cautious with finances since I haven’t had a proper pay cheque since last January.

Evening Wrecked, up until this year, I have always grown in organic supersoils that I make myself and allows me to be a water only grow. Works well with me having spent more time away working than I was at home.

This year I had lots of time on my hands and decided to try Mega Crop in hempy (with coco). Grew great plants but too much work for me when I do return to work. I don’t have time to water everyday when I am working.

I am currently experimenting with RDWC using the same organics I use in my soil but in solution instead. The project has been on hold for a bit due to technical difficulties (pump failure) and being cautious with finances since I haven’t had a proper pay cheque since last January.
I'd love to give the organic super soil a try too, just need to try and think far ahead enough to factor in the 'cooking' time etc. Seems very low maintenance which would be great.

Nice! :high-five: I find DWC a little intimidating but I can't fault the results I've seen. They seem to grow like absolute wildfire.

I feel your pain about the finances amigo, I'm in a similar situation. So much so it looks like I'll be moving to the Netherlands for work in the next few months. Just hope I can finish these two girls up before I go.

I sure hope so! It'd be a shame to have to abandon those beauties. :(

But :goodluck: on the new job!
It's looking like I won't be going until around April. Probably just in time for them to be jarred and nicely cured. At least my brother will be able to enjoy the fruits of my labour, shame about me haha.

When starting these girls I knew that the one (or two) week(s) of bad weather we have in the south of Spain was going to be one of the hurdles I would have to contend with at some point in this grow. It just so happened to come on the first week of flip. So due to the torrential rain and stupidly high winds over the past week or so the ladies have spent the vast majority of their time either cloud-bathing from the windowsill or under the 50w LED, which is far from ideal at this stage. That being said, apart from the slowed growth, I'm really pleased with how they are looking and also with how low maintenance they've been so far. There's probably another week similar to last lurking around the corner, just hoping it's not too soon. :Namaste:

Early in flip is better than when it's supposed to be packing on the weight! But is 50w the biggest bulb you have?
Amen brother! I'm afraid so, and I believe it's actually only 30w from the wall. :confused:

Very little to report this week which thankfully means everything has been going swimmingly. The transition to flower has been much slower than I anticipated but I'm seeing more and more pistils by the day and they're also developing quite the aroma. I've actually added an extra hour of darkness the past few days to try and speed up the process a little bit, I figure I can go back to 12/12 once they're budding up nicely. Here they are day 15 of flip. :thumb:

This week wasn't the greatest, but at least it wasn't the worst. A handful of windy days meant more days at the windowsill instead of basking in the direct sunshine. Despite the lack of full sun I'm pleased with how they're growing and how healthy they look. I've been a little concerned with the humidity levels being all over the place, sometimes reaching 90% but I'm hoping it settles down once I'm deeper into flower. Other than that, not much else to report. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom