WreckLoose First Photoperiod Outdoor Winter Grow 20/21: Gorilla Glue #4 & Banana Kush

WreckLoose

Bucket/Pot Size: 2x Five Gallon Fabric Pots
Medium: Top Crop Complete Mix (Coconut Fiber, Blonde Sphagnum Peat, Vegetable Compost, blend of macro and micro-nutrients, Perlite, Leonardite) + added Perlite, Worm Castings, Diatomaceous Earth.
Outdoor (Suplemented with a 50w LED to extend light hours.)
Nutrients: Boom Nutrients (Crecimiento, Floracion, Super), Deeper Underground (Top Crop), Terpesyn (Terranabis),
#plants: 2
Strains: Gorilla Glue #4 & Banana Kush, both feminized.

Okay, so I'm actually seven weeks into this grow but due to the fact my phone broke near the beginning and also due to my crippling laziness, I'm only just getting round to creating this journal now.

I decided to try this winter grow as an experiment to see if it's possible for me to grow throughout the coldest months with waning sunlight hours and a 50w LED from amazon. Everything has gone surprisingly well so far considering these girls have received more than 70% of their light from said 50w LED. They're perhaps a lot smaller than they potentially could have been but I really can't complain. Thankfully now that I'm nearing flip day, they'll be getting 75% of their light from the sun and not the other way round.

I'm afraid that due to the fact my phone had broken, there are very few pictures from the first few weeks so I'll just dump them here.

Okay, so onto my first rookie mistake. I planted the germinated seeds into clear pots which means the roots were exposed to too much light and didn't get as good a start as they could have. Anyway they were transplanted to 1gal plastic pots at day 21 and seemed to take it in their stride with little to no stress.

After a week in their new pots (Day 28), I decided to top them and begin LST as I don't have much vertical room below my light. I thought about trying to mainline but decided to cool my jets and only top once. Still something I'd like to try in the future. I let them both grow to 6 nodes, topped above the 5th and removed the first node, leaving 4 intact. Here they are just before they were topped (stupidly didn't get a pic post topping).

Okay, so onto my first rookie mistake. I planted the germinated seeds into clear pots which means the roots were exposed to too much light and didn't get as good a start as they could have. Anyway they were transplanted to 1gal plastic pots at day 21 and seemed to take it in their stride with little to no stress.

Beautiful. I love a plant that grows perfect leaves and shape. Be interesting to see how she does in flower with the light situation you have.

Beautiful. I love a plant that grows perfect leaves and shape. Be interesting to see how she does in flower with the light situation you have.
:thanks:

It's obviously not ideal and my expectations are pretty low but fingers crossed that with 6 hours of direct sunlight, 4 hours of indirect sunlight and a couple hours under the LED they'll hopefully do just fine. :thumb:

Okay, so a week or so after topping they were both transplanted into their final 5gal fabric pots on day 37 and the pics are from day 39. I could've done a better job with the positioning of the BK but she settled just fine. I also made the silly mistake of forgetting to use my root enhancer when transplanting this time which did lead to some slowed growth for a few days but they bounced back pretty well.

Okay, so a week or so after topping they were both transplanted into their final 5gal fabric pots on day 37 and the pics are from day 39. I could've done a better job with the positioning of the BK but she settled just fine. I also made the silly mistake of forgetting to use my root enhancer when transplanting this time which did lead to some slowed growth for a few days but they bounced back pretty well.

Looks great. Nice color through out. Should be a fun grow.

So at this stage I rewatched Kyle Kushman's supercropping video and was inspired to twist the main stem until I felt/heard a crack. I tried a few times but couldn't feel or hear any snap so decided to leave it in case I break them completely. I also used @InTheShed 's genius idea of attatching the new sprouts to the fan leaves so they can be pulled down and kept even.

So finally, the most up to date pics from yesterday (Day 49). The GG4 has really bushed out and she's looking great. The Banana Kush is a little behind but it could possibly be down to those indica genetics. :hmmmm: Planning on flipping them any day now because the flower stretch is definitely concerning me a little bit and I'd rather they didn't get out of hand if possible.

So now onto the problem which lit a fire under my ass to get this journal going today. I was just doing my daily inspection for pests (thankfully not finding any so far) and found that the main stems on both girls seem to be in pretty bad shape. Now I'm left trying to decipher whether there is some sort of infection, a problem with the root zone or it's just the aftermath of my failed Kushman chiropratics attempts a couple of weeks ago. Any opinions are more than welcome. :thumb:

So now onto the problem which lit a fire under my ass to get this journal going today. I was just doing my daily inspection for pests (thankfully not finding any so far) and found that the main stems on both girls seem to be in pretty bad shape. Now I'm left trying to decipher whether there is some sort of infection, a problem with the root zone or it's just the aftermath of my failed Kushman chiropratics attempts a couple of weeks ago. Any opinions are more than welcome. :thumb:

Duct tape my friend. Works great at keeping pests and problems out of that crack.

Did that happen in the same spot you tried to bend her.

Duct tape my friend. Works great at keeping pests and problems out of that crack.
Thanks Bill! I've had success using duct tape in the past when accidentally snapping branches but I just wanted to rule out infection first. Don't want to uncover a nasty surprise in a couple of weeks. :nervous-guy:

Other than that split they're looking great!
It's obviously not ideal and my expectations are pretty low but fingers crossed that with 6 hours of direct sunlight, 4 hours of indirect sunlight and a couple hours under the LED they'll hopefully do just fine.
Mine are only getting about 6 hours of direct sun and the other 6 they're under the LEDs. It's too cold here when they don't get that direct radiant heat.
I also used @InTheShed 's genius idea of attatching the new sprouts to the fan leaves so they can be pulled down and kept even.
Credit goes to Van Stank for that one!

Back
Top Bottom