Tent intake filter?

rhetorrikz

Hi , what do you use as an intake filter ?
Im setting up a 4'x8'x8h' tent with a 8" hyperfan and 3' phresh filter.
I think i should filter the incoming air. Spider mites are a concern. The tent is in a shed that has surrounding gardens.
I have been thinking , i could diy something ? Maybe a 5 gal bucket with lots of holes drilled then wraped with some type of foam or mesh? Would this create too much of a restriction?

UncleCannabis' Indoor Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - Sea of Green

How's this? This is outlet but it would obviously work both ways.. Should be big enough to use as an intake filter, or make it bigger to allow max airflow..
Or maybe just some filter material over your existing inlet would be WAY cheaper and easier...
:thumb:

Forgot... Post #117 about a quarter down the page..

Spider mites are normally associated with low humidity issues so controlling humidity is a vital in some ways as well with bud rot aka Botrytis which is high humidity related.

Hey fuzzy , thanks for the tip im usually battling with high humidity less than 60% here is very rare.. i need good air exchange.. im hoping the setup will work ok with the 1 good fan with a digital rising rate fan controller and hope the tent will cope with negative pressure drawing freash air in ...
Also lights on at night for temps , so inlet duct needs to curve and have some filter screen , then i could possibly draw in fresher air from outside ... but will the tent implode lol. I think the fan is 200cfm on low and up to 700 cfm
Ideally twin 8" silenced hyperfans running togeather 24/7 but id like to avoid 1000$ just in fans.

Idea's welcome .. how do others filter incoming air without compromising light leaks and air exchange

If ive completely overlooked something simple please point it out :scratchinghead:

Er i might drop the idea of an active intake as you have high RH as it would be pulling in High RH air.

I might just opt for a passive intake like a vent in the shed with passive vents opened on the tent if it has got em & run a dehumidifier in the shed to help control RH leaving the exhaust fan to pull air through the passive vents hopefully with better RH control.

Just an idea tho ?

Ya see when you lights come on the heat from the bulb should lower the RH but lights off the RH will increase & that is the area ya need to control.

Mmm i've heard of people using a carbon filter for intake filters a pricey option on the cheap an old pair of stockings work as a bug screen.

Ok awsome.. ventilate the shed better , watch humidity levels , stockings as passive intake screens , and ill spray precaution neem weekly around the place
And thanks to santb ill make a large diy carbon filter to help at harvest time
Thanks guys

If you go to the trouble of filtering the intake air against pests, make sure you shower and change clothes EVERY time you open your tent. Keep it open as little as possible.

Ok awsome.. ventilate the shed better , watch humidity levels , stockings as passive intake screens , and ill spray precaution neem weekly around the place
And thanks to santb ill make a large diy carbon filter to help at harvest time
Thanks guys

I personally use folded cheese cloth as a make shift intake filter. I would try using the stocking idea but I feel a little akward buying panty hose.. lol

It stops more cat hair and dust than anything. I've seen a few knats stuck in there too but I have to open my tent to water so any Pests that want in get in get a invite every two days.. Keeping the room my tent is in clean is easier than keeping the tent clean..

Put your energy/money into climate control. Your goal over time should be to be able to set the temps and RH to where YOU want them without being at the mercy of the outdoor temps/RH.

This will do a lot more to control bugs than any inlet filter. Bugs are a fact of life. Don't create an environment that the plants hate and the bugs love. Bugs love stressed plants.

Hi , what do you use as an intake filter ?
Im setting up a 4'x8'x8h' tent with a 8" hyperfan and 3' phresh filter.
I think i should filter the incoming air. Spider mites are a concern. The tent is in a shed that has surrounding gardens.
I have been thinking , i could diy something ? Maybe a 5 gal bucket with lots of holes drilled then wraped with some type of foam or mesh? Would this create too much of a restriction?

I use a "hammock filter", it's a sheet of filter media that you cut to size. It filters out pollen and dust, so bugs shouldn't be able to get through. It's synthetic, so the bugs shouldn't try to chew through it. If your opening isn't large enough for a flat sheet to not restrict airflow, you could get some chicken wire or similar mesh and make a cylinder shape for more surface area. And it *does* restrict airflow (any good filter will), especially as it gets plugged up, I use a small piece on the back of my fan because the "low" setting still blows the plants around too much.

Back
Top Bottom