1500 dead ladybugs

Re: 1500 dead ladybugs :(

No exhaust fans, no chemicals. However, I didn't "water" them. I noticed at the start that some of them were in the soil and others gathered in a dead leaf on the ground (probably 100 of them in the leaves).

Has anyone bought ladybugs and had them live in an indoor grow?

Are you supposed to put out some water?

The lady at the store said they like to be sprayed, but I didn't want to spray the buds. Maybe a dish/bucket of water?

Any ideas?

What do these ladybugs eat anyways?

Maybe some regular plants that I can spray would help.

I have never dealt with ladybugs, but all bugs need water! Don't just put a bucket of water out or they will drown, a shallow dish with a sponge or something like that.. this way they can suck the water up and not die. Good luck!

More likely starved to death...

Ladybugs are predators with their favourite meal being aphids & other soft body insects like white fly, mites, scale bugs & if no insect pests are aviable a short 'n' hungry life span can be expected for the ladybug !

Its a fair few ladybugs to kill with out a suitable food source :rip:

More likely starved to death...

Ladybugs are predators with their favourite meal being aphids & other soft body insects like white fly, mites, scale bugs & if no insect pests are aviable a short 'n' hungry life span can be expected for the ladybug !

Its a fair few ladybugs to kill with out a suitable food source :rip:

This is what I was thinking also KJ, possibly not enough food to go around. I had maybe, 5-7 lady bugs in my 4x4 and they lived for a good week as well, after that I started seeing the laying around the ground. I like Greenhouse's idea of the wet sponge, never know it could have been a mix of no food & water. Sorry to hear about the dead predators there Karl

I read up on them a bit and it looks like I screwed up just putting them in the room like that. I noticed 1 or 2 in the veg room and I spray water in there from time to time.

I think I'll build a little "bird house" type thing and have water and raisins in there.

I noticed 2 aphids when taking samples to view under the microscope and they weren't alive but I wanted to do something about them.
At least I think they were aphids, they were about 2x the size of the trich and didn't move.

I'm about 1 week or so from harvest on grow 2 and wanted a quick and easy solution.

They were only about $8 for the 1500 so no big deal.

Otherwise the 2nd grow is going along nicely.

Fuzzy hit it, I think they starved to death.

In a typically outdoor setting if there is no food in a garden they will migrate to find food. Indoors they're basically screwed and cannot leave.

Spraying your plants with water then putting them out helps. Along with putting them out during the dark period and or 30-60 mins before lights come on.

Lady bugs work best for outdoor, in my experience. If you don't have aphids I don't think they're very effective. Best used a preventative for outdoor gardens, from what I have seen.

I just bought another 1500 bag and noticed this one had a few raisins in the bag.

So this time I got 2 large sponges and put them on a plastic lid with some water and added about 30 raisins.

We'll see how this works.

I noticed the plants had drooping leaves sooner than they did last time. I used the drooping leaves to tell me when the plants were overdue for water. I watered them and the drooping leaves came back in less than 2 days.

These pests are known for draining a plant, so maybe they are still some of them alive. Dam small things, can't see them with the naked eye.

Harvest is probably less than a week away, so I hope this works, either way, the plants are healthy enough to make it.

I wonder if lady bugs eat mosquitoes :D that would be a great plus.

Mature aphids are quite visable to the human eye, inless juvenile...

How ever it takes a serious aphid infestion to effect most plants & these would be easy noticable due to large clusters of the lil critters mainly gathered on the softer stem growth & under neath the leafs...

How ever some species of aphids do varie in colouring !

Some pic's of aphid infestions...

crapemyrtle_aphid03.jpg
images14.jpg
SCN0002346_110165.jpg

Im new to growing, and.. why do you even have lady bugs :/ like what do they do. for weed

A form of pest control to other insects which may prove deprimental to health/growth of cannabis :thumb:

ahh okay :p i think that would be freaky letting off 1500 lady bugs off in my house. lol

As karljay is so late in flowering the use of ladybugs is a good choice :thumb:

Over the use of insecticides, some insecticides are systemic in nature as the plant absorbs the chemicals & insects sucks the sap from stem/munchs on leaf & ingest the poison design to kill the insect...

These chemicals may remain in the plant tissue for many weeks !

I for one don't want to be smoking any nasty insectide which maybe dangerous to my own health as these chemical may often change structure/compounds when burnt & released as gases form !

So at the end of the day organic, natural methods are best used to combat insects bad for the plant :high-five:

I don't see how raisins would benefit the lady bugs.

Raisins offer the ladybugs an excellent food source. I only found 2 very very small bugs, about 2x the size of a trich, so clearly there isn't enough food for 1500 ladybugs. Raisins just happen to be the right food that they can eat.

As was noted before, they probably starved to death before they could do much.

I need/want them to live long enough to go out and eat all the bad bugs.

As it is right now, 90+% of them are just sitting in a pile where I released them, but it's only been 12 hours.

This is clearly over reacting to 2 dead bugs found, but ladybugs are cheap and they won't harm anything.

the Lady bugs I buy at local nursery have an expiration date, use them outside, I get 1000 for 6 bucks, I let about 100 on my girl every day, after a week they're gone, but all the moth/caterpillar eggs are gone too! I have no inchworms this year. Caterpillar-Killer (brand) spray used in conjuction, I'm very pleased compared to last year

Glad to hear others are using ladybugs! Also, glad to hear they actually work that well on all those pests. I actually had a moth invasion a few years go, dam things are hard as hell to get rid of, didn't think of something so simple as ladybugs.

Now if someone can tell me how to get red of flys and other pests ... :D

I had to declare on moths last year, I was pulling inchworms out of buds, You will know you have them whem you see the droppings on leaves below them. Since then I have learned to eliminate them, only one tiny one found this year. The spray (food safe) works great and it dissipates in 3 days
Glad to hear others are using ladybugs! Also, glad to hear they actually work that well on all those pests. I actually had a moth invasion a few years go, dam things are hard as hell to get rid of, didn't think of something so simple as ladybugs.

Now if someone can tell me how to get red of flys and other pests ... :D

Back
Top Bottom