150W growing light?

aziz

so i bought this 150w growing light ( LED) which is stated to be equivalent to a 300w HID lamp.

how far should i keep it away from seedlings? the height they recommand is 60-90cm for veg and that's only running the veg channel.

but that's in general. i'm guessing cannabis has specific needs?

Do you have a make and model for your light? What is the size of the area you want to cover with light? All LEDs are not created equal. It's hard to make a suggestion when we don't know what we are dealing with. For now, put it up at 90cm, and bring it down slowly (5cm / day) until you get the results you want, or the plants show the first signs of light burn. Back off about 5-10cm if you get light burn.

Do you have a make and model for your light? What is the size of the area you want to cover with light? All LEDs are not created equal. It's hard to make a suggestion when we don't know what we are dealing with. For now, put it up at 90cm, and bring it down slowly (5cm / day) until you get the results you want, or the plants show the first signs of light burn. Back off about 5-10cm if you get light burn.
not sure about the light burn thing, the leaves have yellow tips rn because i did some stuff wrong, so i'm not sure that would work

not sure about the light burn thing, the leaves have yellow tips rn because i did some stuff wrong, so i'm not sure that would work

Please answer the questions above. I don't mind checking a single light for its specifications to give you a hand, but I'm not going through their entire lineup to find yours.

OK, I found this:
Product Parameters:
- LED Power: 300W
- Avg. Power Draw: 120±3% watt
- Input Voltage: AC100-240V
- Dimensions: 12.2x 6.7x 2.4 inches
- Item Weight: 4.7 lbs
- HPS/HID Replacement: 250W HPS/HID
- Max Coverage at 24" Height 3x 3ft
- Core Coverage at 24" Height 2.5x 2.5ft
- LED Quantities: 60pcs High Intensity 5Watt Bridgelux/Epileds
- LEDs Angle: 90 ° / 120 ° Mixed
- Frequency: 50-60Hz
- Lifespan: 100,000 hours

Note that the power draw is only 120W. You need an absolute minimum of 30W / sq ft (300W/sq m) of LED lighting to grow cannabis. This is for a quality light. The Niello will probably only be good for three sq ft or 0.3 sq m. Note that they are driving those LEDs hard at 2w each. Quality lights usually are driven below 20% of the maximum LED ratings for maximum efficiency.

I'd start the lights at 24" or 60cm above the plants, and drop them slowly 2" or 5cm per day later in veg, or when the plants begin to stall. Seedlings don't need or tolerate much light. Don't get closer than 1' or 30cm from the canopy during late veg and flower stages if you can avoid it.

OK, I found this:
Product Parameters:
- LED Power: 300W
- Avg. Power Draw: 120±3% watt
- Input Voltage: AC100-240V
- Dimensions: 12.2x 6.7x 2.4 inches
- Item Weight: 4.7 lbs
- HPS/HID Replacement: 250W HPS/HID
- Max Coverage at 24" Height 3x 3ft
- Core Coverage at 24" Height 2.5x 2.5ft
- LED Quantities: 60pcs High Intensity 5Watt Bridgelux/Epileds
- LEDs Angle: 90 ° / 120 ° Mixed
- Frequency: 50-60Hz
- Lifespan: 100,000 hours

Note that the power draw is only 120W. You need an absolute minimum of 30W / sq ft (300W/sq m) of LED lighting to grow cannabis. This is for a quality light. The Niello will probably only be good for three sq ft or 0.3 sq m. Note that they are driving those LEDs hard at 2w each. Quality lights usually are driven below 20% of the maximum LED ratings for maximum efficiency.

I'd start the lights at 24" or 60cm above the plants, and drop them slowly 2" or 5cm per day later in veg, or when the plants begin to stall. Seedlings don't need or tolerate much light. Don't get closer than 1' or 30cm from the canopy during late veg and flower stages if you can avoid it.
do you think adding some clf would help? also, what system do people use to pull their lights down? i have a home made wooden tent, but i'm not sure what i could do to pull the lights up and down without too many headaches

do you think adding some clf would help? also, what system do people use to pull their lights down? i have a home made wooden tent, but i'm not sure what i could do to pull the lights up and down without too many headaches

Check out ratchet hangers on the popular on-line shopping sites. I like the ratchet down at the light and an extra pulley at the top of the tent. It reduces the power needed to raise the light. Alternately, you can use three pulleys, as it's a light weight LED. Put two on the wire hangers for the light, and one at the top of the tent. Fasten one end of the rope to the top of your tent, run it through the two pulleys on the light, then through the pulley at the top of the tent. You can pull the rope to raise the tent, and tie it off to hold it there.

Adding CFLs or other lights can be considered if you find the Niello to be insufficient. It's no use installing something that's not needed.

You can get small adjustable light hangers real cheap online. Also as you may have already learned or soon will the cheaper LED manufacturers always highly overrate their lights. You have a 120 watt light. Forget the 300 watt claim. It's just not true.
Two of these lights would serve you better for that grow space but for now one will get you going.

You can get small adjustable light hangers real cheap online. Also as you may have already learned or soon will the cheaper LED manufacturers always highly overrate their lights. You have a 120 watt light. Forget the 300 watt claim. It's just not true.
Two of these lights would serve you better for that grow space but for now one will get you going.
i mean, it's around the same price as a ts-1000, so i wouldn't say it's cheap/low quality, the 300w claim is equivalent, they say it can harvest like a 300w HID lamp

I have a 3x3 tent for my mother plants. The smallest LED light i would put in there for a full cycle grow would be a 240w (wall draw). So I have to agree with GreenLizard. Two of those lights in a 2.5x2.5 might sound like overkill but it could be the difference between a 3-4 oz harvest and growing a pounder.

i mean, it's around the same price as a ts-1000, so i wouldn't say it's cheap/low quality, the 300w claim is equivalent, they say it can harvest like a 300w HID lamp

No, I didn't mean to insinuate that your light wasn't of decent quality. I just wanted to give you some insight as to what the cheaper side of the LED world tends to do with their wattage ratings. I don't like to see people just starting out get the wool pulled over their eyes is all. To be honest drawing a true 120 watts, and advertising as "equal to 300 watts" is't nearly as far off as a lot of what you will find on the net.
Seems the pattern is the cheaper the light per advertised watt the bigger the gap between claimed rating, and actual wall draw.

i mean, it's around the same price as a ts-1000, so i wouldn't say it's cheap/low quality, the 300w claim is equivalent, they say it can harvest like a 300w HID
I have a 3x3 tent for my mother plants. The smallest LED light i would put in there for a full cycle grow would be a 240w (wall draw). So I have to agree with GreenLizard. Two of those lights in a 2.5x2.5 might sound like overkill but it could be the difference between a 3-4 oz harvest and growing a pounder.
tbh 4 oz is more than enough for me, not a heavy smoker, i'll just drop in a few clf if i don't like the results...

Not until your seedlings are well into veg.
well, i FINALLLY have done everything for my indoor grow. lights, tent etc. so, that's 60cm from the plants, only running VEG. do you think that's a good distance? and when should i get it closer? or should i just let the weed get closer by itself? 1571437936599.png1571437924954.png
1571437924954.png
1571437936599.png

Just to let you know how key lights are to your success, I'll tell you of my grows...

With a King X6 Dimmable 1800W COB LED Grow Light, my best harvest from a 2'X 4' tent was 180gm. This light draws 315w from the wall, and has a published coverage of 5' X 5.5'. I got the dimmable version as I thought it might be too much for my tent. It was turned up to the maximum from the middle of veg to harvest.

I just finished jarring my last harvest from that same tent. The plants went from seedling to the flip under a Mars Hydro TSL-2000. They went from the flip to harvest under my DIY 8 COB array. This array was set to draw 315w from the wall. The harvest was...

440 gms or 15.7 oz from a 2' x 4' Tent!

Just to let you know how key lights are to your success, I'll tell you of my grows...

With a King X6 Dimmable 1800W COB LED Grow Light, my best harvest from a 2'X 4' tent was 180gm. This light draws 315w from the wall, and has a published coverage of 5' X 5.5'. I got the dimmable version as I thought it might be too much for my tent. It was turned up to the maximum from the middle of veg to harvest.

I just finished jarring my last harvest from that same tent. The plants went from seedling to the flip under a Mars Hydro TSL-2000. They went from the flip to harvest under my DIY 8 COB array. This array was set to draw 315w from the wall. The harvest was...

440 gms or 15.7 oz from a 2' x 4' Tent!
damn, i'm on a budget rn, but after this grow or 2, i might put some money together with friends, so i can get rly good equipment. but i don't think i'd need it tho. 60-100 grams is more than enough for me per harvest

damn, i'm on a budget rn, but after this grow or 2, i might put some money together with friends, so i can get rly good equipment. but i don't think i'd need it tho. 60-100 grams is more than enough for me per harvest

Do I ever understand budget. I'm on a pension. It took me a year to save for the components, and a year to get around to building it. I'm kicking myself for not finishing it sooner. My needs are simple, only 1/4 - 1/2 gm per day. I use the extra I grow to make RSO equivalent courses of treatment for cancer patients.

Back
Top Bottom