1st Annual 4/20 Challenge

Ravenplume

So, what with my most recent Bittersweet Pie sprouting after exactly 7 days, and today is 7 days before the annual 4/20; I thought it might be fun to put forth a challenge here, perhaps make it an annual thing.

That said, if you have plenty of extra seeds laying around to play with, I propose attempting to get at least one to sprout on 4/20 (sorta like the weed version of the New Year's Baby in each town).

That is the only requirement, get one to sprout on 4/20 (and of course grow it out as best you can). And here is how I will be attempting it.

RPGJ-2022-01-16.JPG

From now until the 20th, I will be starting 2 new Wildling-2019 seeds (which will become part of my X2022 Project); in the hopes that at least one will sprout on the 20th. Of course, the ones started on the 20th won't count other than having started on 4/20; but everything before that has a chance of being the one (even the ones started on the 19th).

RPGJ-2022-01-15.JPG

So here are my first two, started on 2022-04-13.

Anyone else want to try this as well?

Ok I'm in, I dropped four seeds last night, 2 Purple kush from @Weed Seeds Express and 2 Ayahuasca purple from Barney's Farm. I dropped them in 5 parts RO water to 1 part 3% h202 and let them soak just over 12 hours. I put them between moist paper towels this morning. Hopefully I will have sprouts tomorrow that I will put into soil. and fingers crossed that They will poke their little heads out of the soil on 4/20... Boy am I feeling optimistic?

:hookah:

So far, the two that were started on the 13th, and one from the 14th sprouted yesterday, and one from the 15th sprouted today. Went ahead and started 2 for today of course. I think at this rate, I should be on track to have at least one sprout on 4/20. And I am thinking my first 4/20 baby may stay an indoor plant all year then get planted next year. First thought was for 4/20 2023; then I remembered there is an entire month plus change between then and June 1st, and will likely be at least one surprise Winter Fuck You from Ma Nature during that time, so I guess it waits until June next year for planting (if it is female, otherwise it remains an indoor pet plant that can then be cloned and flowered for breeding if I feel like it.)

Here are the first four that are most definitely NOT going to be my 4/20 Babies.

Ravensplaining420-01-Germination.JPG

I was going to wait until at least 4/20 to plant them, but I think the first three will need to go in dirt tomorrow. I don't like waiting until the tap root is too long; because from recent experience, they are extremely fragile at this point, and the longer the root, the more likely it is to break. These will just likely get rolled into my X2022 grow journal once they have been planted.

After a 12 hour soak and 8 hours between paper towels one of Barney's Ayahuasca Purple sprouted and I can see a crack and small sprout on the other one...
Aya sprout.JPG

After a 12 hour soak and 8 hours between paper towels one of Barney's Ayahuasca Purple sprouted and I can see a crack and small sprout on the other one...
Aya sprout.JPG
Ok all four beans went into solo cups last night... The Ayahuasca beans have tails that curl and the Purple kush just had real small nubs sticking out of the shell. We'll see how this works out...

Here is the penultimate update, aka 4/19

First, one of the seeds that was started on the 17th sprouted...

420Challenge-2020-04-19-0.JPG

So that is now separated out and annotated accordingly.

420Challenge-2020-04-19-2.JPG

It looks like I will have an actual 4/20 Trio tomorrow - One started on 4/20, one sprouted on 4/20, and one planted on 4/20.

First will be the seed that gets started tomorrow
Second will be one of the seeds that was started on the 15th and sprouted the morning of the 18th. That one will get planted in a cup of dirt like the others.

420Challenge-2020-04-19-3.JPG

And then rounding out the trio, it looks like the other seed that was started on the 17th will sprout tomorrow. It looks like the shell is just starting to crack. So after I finish this post, the seed will be put into a quantum state and will not be observed again until after midnight. :D

420Challenge-2020-04-19-1.JPG

So hopefully after I get up in the morning, I will be announcing the arrival of my first (and still possibly others) 4/20 Baby. After that will be some sort of epilogue after all the babies are established and thriving. The one that sprouts gets to be my indoor pet houseplant for the year, until next year's 4/20 baby emerges and this one gets planted in the ground next Summer.

I'm just glad that I know I will be able to rehome a lot of these when the time comes...

And the conclusion of phase 1 of the 420 challenge has indeed the other one that was started on the 17th being my 4/20 Baby. So it is set aside in its own damp towel to grow out a bit before planting to be kept until June of next year. The final seeds for the 420 Challenge were also started, and the other seed that had been started on the 17th, but sprouted on the 19th, went into its cup of dirt. That makes for the 4/20 Trio: The newly started seed, the freshly hatched seed, and the planted sprouted seedling.

420Challenge-2020-04-20-0.JPG

420Challenge-2020-04-20-1.JPG

I'll give another update once the newest seed is sprouted and they are all in cups of dirt and have at least baby leaves showing, and I suppose I will do many of the other usual updates as appropriate as well; so sounds like this could be turning into another grow journal. Guess I will need to come up with names for each of these as well, if they are going to be a pet project.

That's all I have for tonight. Time for a final toke, a late night nip and some sleep.

Success! Happy 420 Birthday! It's a Girl!!! Ayahuasca Purple decided to sprout today! I will check the other sprouts later this evening.

aya420.PNG

And last minute updates before 4/20 ends...

Another four have hatched...

420Challenge-2020-04-20-2.JPG

That would be the second seed from the 16th, both of the seeds from the 18th, and one from the 19th. And I do have a name already picked out for the 16/20 seedling if it survives to become a pet house plant...

420Challenge-2020-04-20-3.JPG

So, they are separated out into their own properly annotated damp napkins to go in the little baggie, as usual.

420Challenge-2020-04-20-4.JPG

Additionally, both of the seeds that were started on the 17th are planted. The first had sprouted on the 19th, and the other was from this morning. I am actually rather pleased it grew fast enough today to be able to get planted still on 4/20...yeah, both sprouted and planted on the 20th. Only 3 seeds remain to be sprouted. Looking forward to showing them all together once all 16 are planted in their cups of dirt and are showing their baby leaves. I am also fairly certain some of these will get rehomed, at least those that don't get tagged for flowering and revegging experiments and other activities of halfassed mad science...

I finally have a second baby today, one of the Purple Kush decided to break through the soil today. I have given up on the other two. I dropped two more seeds in a mixture of 5 parts RO water and 1 part H202, hopefully those will sprout.

Just recently finished up the Purple Hindu Kush bought last year at the dispensary. Sadly, there were no opportunity seeds found. All good though, got plenty material to work with. Only one of my 4/20 Challenge subjects survived to grow up. Sadly, I did not do a reveg in time, and she just simply flowered and budded in her planter in the kitchen. Going to see if the little bits of bud on her are still good or if I waited too long, and also see if she may have self pollinated soon. And that will wrap up this project for me. Will start this year's last week of March.

I'm in, I was going to start my seed germination, on 4/15 for my summer outdoor grow. Now, since reading your post @Ravenplume, I've decide to germinate on 17th instead so the seedlings should pop their heads up on or about the 20th, which will make 4/20 the first official day of their birth.
Thanks for the idea

Back
Top Bottom