2 Liter Hempy SOG - WW and MK

cflgrow

Well everyone, my last grow is winding down - harvest is a couple days away, and my next grow is well under way. So here are the details of the grow:

What strain is it? 18 Master Kush, 25 White Widow
First called High-Rise, Master Kush was developed in one of the tall buildings of south Amsterdam. The coffeeshops instantly fell in love with this bud.

A vigorous plant, Master Kush thrives under most growing conditions, producing well in indoor and greenhouse set-ups. This variety grows into a medium-sized, compact, densely formed plant with sparse, spiky, forest green leaves. Master Kush's ball-shaped buds are light green with long hairs that range from white to orange in color. Buds are dense, thick, and heavy, which makes mold a risk in humid lcimates. Advantageously non-smelly while growing, the resulting bud has a hint of earthiness and sweet citrus but is virtually without taste.

Easy on lungs and palate, Master Kushis non-expansive and smooth to smoke, giving an all-over body buzz that is relaxing but awake. The high can also create optically pleasing effects, making it a good candidate for taking in a movie or museum visit.

Winner, High Times Cannabis Cup 1992 and 1993.
Since its introduction in 1995, White Widow has become an infamous breed in the world of weed. This variety can be found in almost every coffeeshop in Amsterdam, but while imitation may be the truest form of flattery, the genuine item bears the Greenhouse name.

This variety's reputation has been built on its excellence in smell, flavor, and quality of high. White Widow has fragrantly fresh pine cone nugs that have a taste bordering between fruit and flowers when smoked. Setting the standard for kind bud, White Widow washes over you with a warm feeling of mildly trippy sensations.

White Widow is a compact plant of medium height. The buds only develop a few amber-colored hairs, but the outrageous crystalline resin production of this plant has become legendary. Inevitably the reputation that precedes it leads some growers to decide that it is overrated, but many find this variety to be everything they anticipated and more. White Widow has the potential to live up to its reputation if grown adeptly. This strain is recommended for indoor gardening, where water and fertilizer should be administered modestly to avoid mildew and retain the delicious flavors.

1st Place, High Times Cannabis Cup bio category 1995.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Currently in veg

If in Veg... For how long? Planted all rooted cuttings in mini-hempy pots on Christmas day. So 4 weeks.

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor.

Soil or Hydro? Hempy pot - passive hydro.

What is in your mix? 75:25, perlite:vermiculite.

What size pot? 2 liter soda bottles, tops removed.

Size of light? Two 400W metal halides

Temp of Room/cab? Temperatures run around 80º-83º. AC unit to be installed soon :)

RH of Room/cab?

PH of media or res? Perlite mixture was rinsed, then saturated with 6.0 pH water.

Any Pests ? None.

How often are you watering? Plants were just transplanted. We're expecting to water every other day, but we'll feel it out. Until roots set in the reservoirs, we're watering daily.

Type and strength of ferts used? We're running on Advanced Nutrients three-part. Will be adding Voodoo Juice, Big Bud, B-52 and Overdrive. Definitely open to everyone's suggestions on using the AN line.

I'm hoping to add in Penetrator and Liquid Light, too.

As for how the grow room looks... I have all 43 hempy pots side by side under MH's. Eventually we'll space them out so they have about 6"-12" of room on all sides, under three 400W HPS's.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input! And if you like the idea of this grow, or are curious as to how I plan on growing them through... check out Xare's White Poison grow :) (Google).

Cheers all!

GetInline.jpg

Also, if you're curious about the soda bottles themselves...

I went to a recycling station and picked up about 50... spray-painted the bottles below the label (to protect roots from the light), chopped off the neck, and drilled a 1/4" hole at the base.

The hole is about 2" up from the ground - where the 'feet' round out.

xare-44040-albums-hempy-bucket-picture842397-2literhempy2.jpg

Hey cfl how's things?

How long did you grow the mothers before you took the cuttings? How many mothers were there? I'm targeting 5-6 clones from each mother.

This ak48 clone was put into flower 23 days after I took her, this time I'm going to let them go another week. I can almost see row after row of these girls.... can't wait. She's got about a month left.

IMAG1196.jpg

IMAG1198.jpg

I'm in cfl....I have a cutting in a 2 ltr hempy right now and she's a beauty. I end up watering her everyother day....I took some panty hose and filled it with a couple Tbls's of OC+ and tied some twine to it a put it just below the surface...I water right over it...It's so damm easy and by far the healthiest of the 3 plants in the tent....

As soon as I saw how great she was doing I decided to try a mini Hempy sog or sCrog based on Xare's also...small world.

peace, harvests and good luck...and remember, pictures or it didn't happen....

Yeah - Xare definitely made an impression on the e-world of growing with that grow :)

BlueDog, I know you use OC+ too, don't you?

Do the two of you like using slow release? I'm not really sure how I feel about it... mainly, I feel like it's too easy to be a high yielding approach :p But that's a dumb reason to discount something. Have any of you ever seen side by side grows with osmocote vs. regular nutes? Or high end nutes?

What's your setup like, Panic? What strain, how long do you plan on veg/bloom, what kinda lighting, what kind of trimming/pruning?

Nice to have you on board! More pictures will come tomorrow :)

I love OC+, I never even think about stuff like feeding skeds. I do supplement with cal mag very little.

DocBud started off doing a side by side with AN nutes, here are his comments in reply to someone saying OC+ was a joke

"I did a side by side grow with AN Connoisseur and additives vs Osmocote+.

It's in the Un-Lucky Queen journal. The Osmocote kicked the crap out of the AN. I stopped using the AN and if you want 2 gallons of Can-o-sewer, a gallon of BigBud and a bunch of other crap for free, you can come get it.

The difference in cost is a joke.....with the AN stuff coming in at over 1000 dollars, compared to 20 bucks for the OC+."

If you want to learn a ton about how plants grow and feed, ph, alkalinity, water, soil, microbes, organics, germinating, etc etc read his journals. They're long but it seemed like I learned something new on every page.

Or you can read the oc+ and hempy threads in my sig, they're like Doc's Greatest Hits :)

If I can summarize his philosophy, this is it. If you want to grow great bud, spend the money on your environment, not nutes.

OC+ kicks ass if your environment is right - temps, lights, air circulation, rh and water. And that's exactly his point - get all those right and almost any nutes will kick ass.

OC+ is one of the most widely used commercial ferts in the world. That's because it's cheap and it works incredibly well.

Oh and you can grow ok plants with it too. His gallery will blow you away.

IMG_02296.JPG

Ho... ly...

Well, you learn somethin' new.

I had no idea that OC+ could keep up like that. Let alone beat AN connoisseur. That's crazy. But you know what? I'm alright with those findings! Can you summarize your approach for me? I'm going to spend the next few days poring over your/Panic's/DocBud's methods.

Basically, what amount did you use, how did you use it, and what was your logic? Any issues you could tell me about in advance that might come up? (Like Cal/Mg).

I'm excited about this new revelation!

I'm with BD, I am using OC+ in my grow right now. I've asked Doc a bunch of questions about OC+ and this is basically the summary:

1)Use about 2 Tbsp per gallon of medium

2)Water with H2O that has TDS value of 60 <----this is the optimum value. If you are in soil, the soil will buffer the TDS in your water if your water is higher than 60. If your water is lower than TDS of 60, then you have to supplement with cal/mag. But I wouldn't use water that has higher TDS value than about 100.

3)Keep your pH around 6.5-6.9

And that's it

Yeah - Xare definitely made an impression on the e-world of growing with that grow :)

BlueDog, I know you use OC+ too, don't you?

Do the two of you like using slow release? I'm not really sure how I feel about it... mainly, I feel like it's too easy to be a high yielding approach :p But that's a dumb reason to discount something. Have any of you ever seen side by side grows with osmocote vs. regular nutes? Or high end nutes?

What's your setup like, Panic? What strain, how long do you plan on veg/bloom, what kinda lighting, what kind of trimming/pruning?

Nice to have you on board! More pictures will come tomorrow :)

Hey cfl,

I should start by stating that I'm here to learn and not to teach....but only because I have much to learn before I feel confident in teaching.

Anyway's, my setup is small. We are in the process of adding storage space (code for grow space) above our garage but have to wait until spring/summer to finish. When it's all finished I will have my own area (HVAC controlled) of about 8x8....best part is that it should be about 95% hidden from prying eyes.

For now though, I'm using a homemade germing box that's just big enough for 4 5x5 pots. I have 2 GL 40 tents that are very small and both are scrubbed by the same carbon filter and 4" inline fan. Both are set up identical on the inside in that they each have a 150 W hps haning on top and down the sides are 4 T5 HO strips putting out 2,000 lumens each....2 of them are 65k and 2 are 3000k. When you add up the 16,000 lumenes from the HPS and the 8,000 from the T5's it ends up being about 9,200 lumens per square foot....it can get a bit warm in there but heat has not been an issue for me.

I've had only been at it long enough to have one successful harvest of 2 different bagseeds...Yield was not great but the smoke was. Currently I have 7 girls going. I have 3 Jock Horror AF's that were not really AF's....I took a cutting from one (during veg) and made a 2L hempy with OC+ because of the success others were having with it and because it's simple as hell. The other 2 JH's are in 1.7 gallon rose buckets with a mix of FFOF and light warrior...I'm using the "lucas" formula on them with regular blackstrap waterings. I have also had to use Calmag+ and epsom salt along with some worm castings and AN Big Bud for 4 weeks and 2 weeks of AN overdrive..I have one more feeding of overdrive before flush. My first grow was AN Iguane Juice grow and bloom plus the big bud and overdrive.

In the second GL 40 tent I have 3 afgan kush ryders and 1 dynafem road runner that are about 10 days from seed. For them I wll 2 in hempy with OC + and 2 in dirt with OC+ as a comparison. The dirt will be roots organic mixed with some amendments and micros to feed the soil. I've only shown the JH's to a couple of people in person and they both just laughed when they saw how good the hempy OC+ looked. All I do is water over the top of the OC+ and thats it! With the other 2 I have to mix the nutes and the blackstrp and check the pH and the runoff and I still have some issues with the plants. The OC+ girl is a supermodel....waxy leaves flowers on flowers and sugar halfway down the fan leaves.....basically OC+ = K.I.S.S for me.

I kind of fell into the Auto Flowers because a buddy gave me 10 of them....After I clear out the JH's I will start another one and take 4-6 cuttings, veg them for a couple of weeks then switch to 12/12....I know about the photo period for AF's but in the case of the JH's, there is a known problem with them not flowering on their own...I treated them as "regular" seeds after 9 weeks on a 20/4 schedule with nothing but veg happening...as soon as I switched the lights they took off. (i would not reccommend a cutting from any other AF strain...just happened to work for me)

I'm rambling....But I want to add that I did place an order with Sannie's shop for some Killing fields, Herrijuana, Jackberry and another I forgot...he gave me 8 freebies and 5 of them were femed....(Sannie is one hell of a guy and I would recommend him to anyone) I don't plan on anymore AF's grows once I get rid of the 3 seeds I still have. (I feel like i have to grow them out to show my buddy since he gave them to me but I have 48 damn regular seeds from Sannie that I can't wait to start)

As far as trimming and pruning, I need work. My biggest problem last time was that my humidity was too low and the bud dried too fast. Left a grassy taste that took forever to cure out. The buzz was killer but the buds were fluffy and brittle. But hey, thats why we're here right? To learn and improve out techniques.

peace and harvests and sorry about the ramble....Grow baby grow!!!

What I do is so simple I can easily explain it. I take the perlite outside and stand upwind and sift it through a collander to get rid of as much of the dust as I can - there's a lot. I take that perlite and mix 4 parts perlite one part vermiculite. Vermiculite particles are dangerous to inhale so wear a mask and contain it as much as you can, I put it all in a bucket, put the lid on and shake it good, then let it settle.

Next take the 2 liter with a hole just like you have, pour in the perlite/vermiculite mix to just above the hole, then dump in some oc+. About a tablespoon's worth is good, too much is better than too little you literally cannot overfeed or burn your plants with oc+. Then I put in the seedling or clone, holding it level and fill in around the roots with perlite. About halfway up I dump in some more oc+, another tbsp or so. Then fill it up and water it in.

Note - that amount of oc+ is for the mothers. For the clones I'll use a little less, a tablespoon of the prills should be plenty.

After that all you have to do is water, and hopefully you can use your tap water like I do. If your total alkalinity (TA) is 80 or below you just ph down to 6ish. Go to your water district website and look up your water quality, it will tell you everything in it, ph and TA.

Tap water is good for your plants, they like the minerals. Don't sit it for 24 hrs, that's what you do for aquariums. Plants use chlorine so give it to them.

I also add a dropper full of cal/mag per gallon to the water. OC+ has all the micronutes plants need, but it was designed for soil. So I guess it expects some trace elements to be present that are not in perlite, that's why I supplement the cal/mag. My plants have been healthy, green and vigorous all grow.

The only other issue with OC+ that I know of is temps.... it releases nutes based on what the plants need at given temps, and if it gets too hot it releases too fast. It works best at 75-80.

So that's pretty much it, you're done with nutes for the grow. 50 clones you can probably handle with one OC+ for $20, cal/mag $20, $40 in nutes for the whole grow.

Ho... ly...

Well, you learn somethin' new.

I had no idea that OC+ could keep up like that. Let alone beat AN connoisseur. That's crazy. But you know what? I'm alright with those findings! Can you summarize your approach for me? I'm going to spend the next few days poring over your/Panic's/DocBud's methods.

Basically, what amount did you use, how did you use it, and what was your logic? Any issues you could tell me about in advance that might come up? (Like Cal/Mg).

I'm excited about this new revelation!

You should check out Irish Boy's grow with OC+ and dynamite red and purple...He has some pictures of cola's that are ridiculous!!!! Same as DocBud...some seriously weight.

I do think you will need a bottle of Cal/mag if you do a hempy with OC+ or any other fert.....At least that's what I seem to notice while reading journals.

At this stage in the game for me, it's about keeping it simple....With more practice and when I have more room/space/time, I will stat messing with the expensive nutes....K.I.S.S. (and I'm fairly stupid inpite of my jesuit education)

peace...

You should check out Irish Boy's grow with OC+ and dynamite red and purple...He has some pictures of cola's that are ridiculous!!!! Same as DocBud...some seriously weight.

I do think you will need a bottle of Cal/mag if you do a hempy with OC+ or any other fert.....At least that's what I seem to notice while reading journals.

At this stage in the game for me, it's about keeping it simple....With more practice and when I have more room/space/time, I will stat messing with the expensive nutes....K.I.S.S. (and I'm fairly stupid inpite of my jesuit education)

peace...

Fellow jebbie here Panic... they can only do so much for us I guess lol.

I'm totally with you on KISS. I'm far from an expert too. I'm just trying to grow the best smoke I can as easily as possible.

I read some of these hydro grows and newbies especially have all kinds of problems.... and when you have to keep flushing your res cause somethings screwy and you're spending $50+ every time you fill it back up, and meantime your plants all look like they have one foot in the grave... no thanks!

Another thing I love about OC+ is how it is with seedlings and clones. I just make a mini hempy in a beer cup, fill it halfway with perlite, toss in the oc+, fill the rest with a soil/perlite mix and the clone or plant. I stick the clones in root shooters first, but you can use anything and some guys just stick them in the perlite. See the start of my hempy grow for all the details although there aren't many.

Now you're done, you just water. You don't have to worry about when it's ok to start feeding. When they're ready to feed the food is there for them. You won't burn or stress them, in fact the contrary, you'll have healthy vigorous growth from the get-go.

------------------------------

Hey Panic!

You're building the dream, sounds like! If you can get your 8x8 room fully air sealed, the benefit to your grow would be huge. Not only for CO2, but for maintaining a perfect RH/temp.

With my little grow room, it was 'almost sealed'. Haha. I had one air intake which was being used, but minimally. As a result I could just hook up my A/C to a thermostat, and set a space heater beside it, also on a thermostat. Then I set up a humidifier controlled by an RHstat/hygrometer. The AC naturally pulls moisture, so there was the dehumidifier.

Basically, as long as all the dials were set properly, the room could never really deviate from what I dialed it in to. I loved it :)

Oh - and considering used heaters and humidifiers are about $10-$20 a piece, it's a great investment to make.

So finally... I have one question on the OC+. You said 1 tbsp/gallon of media... but I kinda feel like that might be a bit light for me. I'm running 1.5 liters of media per plant... so am I really only putting in a teaspoon of OC+? Seems odd.

Can I overnute the plants? Easily? What other supplements would you guys recommend after all your experience? I'm hearing Cal/Mg a lot... and Panic - I'm not sure if I read right, but did you use the epsom salts, Cal/Mg, worm castings, Big Bud and Overdrive in conjunction with your OC+?

-----------------

So... I wrote that yesterday, but couldn't post 'til now :p And now, half my questions have been answered, but I'm too rushed to rewrite everything :p I cut down my last crop, though! They're drying right beside me. And we've decided to give the clones another week or so to settle down and get a bit stronger, then we're flipping the lights :)

We want to put two 400W HPS lights over top, maybe bring in a third to maximize our yield :)

------------------------------

Hey Panic!

You're building the dream, sounds like! If you can get your 8x8 room fully air sealed, the benefit to your grow would be huge. Not only for CO2, but for maintaining a perfect RH/temp.

With my little grow room, it was 'almost sealed'. Haha. I had one air intake which was being used, but minimally. As a result I could just hook up my A/C to a thermostat, and set a space heater beside it, also on a thermostat. Then I set up a humidifier controlled by an RHstat/hygrometer. The AC naturally pulls moisture, so there was the dehumidifier.

Basically, as long as all the dials were set properly, the room could never really deviate from what I dialed it in to. I loved it :)

Oh - and considering used heaters and humidifiers are about $10-$20 a piece, it's a great investment to make.

So finally... I have one question on the OC+. You said 1 tbsp/gallon of media... but I kinda feel like that might be a bit light for me. I'm running 1.5 liters of media per plant... so am I really only putting in a teaspoon of OC+? Seems odd.

Can I overnute the plants? Easily? What other supplements would you guys recommend after all your experience? I'm hearing Cal/Mg a lot... and Panic - I'm not sure if I read right, but did you use the epsom salts, Cal/Mg, worm castings, Big Bud and Overdrive in conjunction with your OC+?

-----------------

So... I wrote that yesterday, but couldn't post 'til now :p And now, half my questions have been answered, but I'm too rushed to rewrite everything :p I cut down my last crop, though! They're drying right beside me. And we've decided to give the clones another week or so to settle down and get a bit stronger, then we're flipping the lights :)

We want to put two 400W HPS lights over top, maybe bring in a third to maximize our yield :)

Hey CFL...

You may want to be careful asking ME for too much advice...I'm really not that "advanced" of a grower...Yet. If your looking for info on Osmocote + there is a website called osmocoteisbest.com that can give you some more detailed info. In my little 2 ltr hempy I put 2 tablespoons of OC+ in some panty hose...All I do is water over the top of it. I don't worry about pH. It truely is as simple as that. Not a single sign of burn. In fact just this morning when the lights came on in my other tent I watered my seedlings with some OC+ infused water for the first time....I put about 25-30 prills in some water, stirred it and let it sit for a bit....Then watered my hempy's (16 ounce keg cups) like normal. First bit of food they have had.....I'll check them in the morning to see how they look. When I trasplant them I'll add the OC + in with the perilte and then just water them with straight water.

I have used epsom salt and cal/mag and earthworm castings, big bud and overdrive (also AN Ijuana juice) but that was ALL in my medium's that were Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Light Warrior (2 to 1). I did the 2 ltr hempy with OC + as a test after reading all of journals about it. I just wanted to compare that plant to my soil and expensive nutes plants. The hempy OC+ won hands down. They are acutally in 48 hours or darkness right now and I will chop them on Sunday night then let em hang for a couple of days. Once they cure i'll let you know about the smoke report since they are all the same strain.

So why don't you use this grow as a test also? Keep a good control group and feed them the way you always have. Keep a couple of each strain with ONLY OC + and water. (suplement with cal mag if you need to but no other supplements) You could even do what Irishboy did and make some of them Purple or Red Dynamite. YOU could inspire us!!!!

Make it happn' capn'!!!

peace...

Hey Panic!

First off, don't judge yourself like that :p I've found that even the lowest-caliber growers on this site understand the grow topics/concepts better than most commercial growers. All I'm hoping to get from you is the wisdom of a few grows :) And you're doing well so far!

But let's be honest... I owe you guys an update! Haha. I've seriously dropped the ball on this journal. I've got three jobs right now, two grows of about 50 plants, and I'm taking calculus in school. Fml. Haha. So here's a quick catch-up:

The 43 hempies are now in flower. We gave them one month to jump up to about a foot (minus about a dozen runts which are 2-5"), then flowered. Right now we have two 400W HPS bulbs keeping them warm ;)

Nutes/ferts were a bit sketchy at first, but we've evened things out. We're feeding them the same recipe I had on my last grow - a one-part veg/one-part bloom fertilizer solution... but once the hydro shop gets in a shipment of Grow, we'll be using AN's three-part hydro solution. We're also adding Root Excellurator and occasional Cal/Mg.

Temp's are beautiful - always at 78°. RH... it varies, but is between 30 and 60%.

Now here comes the fun part!

My home grow is back up and running :) I decided to get the grow room back up and functional, and I've dropped 50 seeds so far:

5 Master Kush
40 AK-47's
15 ReCon (LA Confidential hybrid)

I'm hoping to get an additional strain from clone... but they're hard come by in this town. Especially good genetics.

These are all going to get 2 liter hempies with OsmoCote+, which I'm excited about! As long as my water is pH'd properly, this grow should run itself :)

I'm not sure yet whether or not any of these plants will get flowered... right now the end goal is mothers. I'm planning an outdoor grow of about 300 plants... but hey - I kinda want to try the AK-47 and ReCon :)

Haha. Commercial grower is a bit of a relative term :p

I am moving the master kush I harvested... but it's mainly personal supply.

This grow that's in glower - 43 plants... I'm sharing it between my buddy and I. So still... 20 plants under a 400W HPS isn't toooo 'commercial'.

And finally - these 60 seedlings are so I can pull out some really strong mothers. Once I have fifteen or so reliable mothers, I'll be able to have an unlimited supply of clones.

I want to plant those 300 clones up north - I'll give them a more-than-fair headstart, fence them in, add some slow-release nutes... and then more or less leave them be. Maybe a couple check-ups throughout the season.

So none of this really adds up to 'full time job'... but yes - a 300 plant harvest will bump me into 'commercial grower' realm :)

My 'hopes' are to pull half a pound per plant... and I'm hoping that I'll be able to harvest at least 150 out of the original 300 (disease, pests, wildlife, tourists... they'll all kill off some). So... yeah :) I'd have a fair bit to move. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom