2 or more plants per pot?

Bounce3d

hi

i have planted in one pot 2 x plants and in another pot x 4 plants

now i know it will reduce the root space each plant has and the over all yield per plant.

my idea was seeing as i have a lot of clones, was to reduce veg time by putting 2 or more per pot.

so like i said it will reduce the overall yield per plant but if i have 4 plants with reduced yield and 1 plant in a same size pot, will both examples not give me the same yield?

i.e 4 x plants 1 pot = +- 100gram
1 x plant 1 pot = +- 100 gram

Hey @Buds Buddy thx for the replies

see the pics attached this is the pot that has 2 plants in it, they surprised me as they were growing very equally

not trying to disprove your input, i love getting all the feed-back.

i just put the 4 into one pot yesterday, if you would like to follow along on my Journal Mango Kush/GSC in my sig you can follow the progress

i want to try SOG the next round too, ive always just gone SCROG

20210914_195935.jpg

20210919_200626.jpg

Hey @Buds Buddy thx for the replies

see the pics attached this is the pot that has 2 plants in it, they surprised me as they were growing very equally

not trying to disprove your input, i love getting all the feed-back.

i just put the 4 into one pot yesterday, if you would like to follow along on my Journal Mango Kush/GSC in my sig you can follow the progress

i want to try SOG the next round too, ive always just gone SCROG

20210914_195935.jpg

20210919_200626.jpg
Yes, I'll have to watch this for sure. I'm surprised they've done so well so far. Curious to see how this goes.

so like i said it will reduce the overall yield per plant but if i have 4 plants with reduced yield and 1 plant in a same size pot, will both examples not give me the same yield?

I tried it twice with 2 plants in a one gallon pot and 1 plant in a pot of the same size and shape. All plants were from clones taken from the same mother at the same time and rooted the same way. When ever they were transplanted up to a slightly larger container it was done at the same time, etc.

The two pots were placed near each other in the flowering cabinet. It took extra work watering the pot with the two since they were competing for the same amount of water as the one by itself. Extra work trimming the two side by side since they were shading each other from the light.

All plants were harvested the same day. Each plant's harvest was dried in its own brown paper bag and cured in its own jar. The two plants in the same jar came out to the same weight harvest, within a gram or two, as the one clone that was by itself.

Extra work and in the end the result was the same size harvest as the one by itself which required less effort.

You are way better off if you do a SOG with the clones if you have that many. Throw them in some 2 ltr. bottles & flip to 12/12 once they're rooted & get an oz. from each plant.
This is the way to go if there are enough rooted clones available. If a soil mix is being used then the size of the pots or containers might have to be larger than 2 liter.

I think only 1 will survive in each pot. The most dominant one will most likely steal the nutes & starve the others. It will surely slow the grow process.
My experience with more than one Marijuana plant per pot is in that msg above.

But, I have played around with putting several annual flowers, all the same type, in one pot. Most of the time they will all survive but there is one or two that are taller or produce larger flowers, etc than the rest when I would put 4 or 6 in that container. Otherwise, it is extra work with the flowers just like with trying to do it with 2 Marijuana plants in the same container.

The flower plants that grow their roots the fastest are the ones that tend to grab the nutrients, water and sunlight. Rarely does one die but it seems that there are the few that are smaller and with smaller flowers. Another example of "with less there is more". Just to much competition in a container verses the same number of plants planted close to each other directly in the ground where the roots can grow further out from the plant.

Have to pay more attention to how fast the container starts to dry out, etc. Plus, like with the Marijuana plants, there is the extra work in pruning and dead-heading the spent flowers.

Just a lot of work but it is up to the grower whether the results are worthwhile.

hi

i have planted in one pot 2 x plants and in another pot x 4 plants

now i know it will reduce the root space each plant has and the over all yield per plant.

my idea was seeing as i have a lot of clones, was to reduce veg time by putting 2 or more per pot.

I think your plant will get enough nutrition to grow in that space. It sounds positive to me.

Thx @SmokingWings you have answered my question, albeit more work but bot pots gave the same grams.
a pot with one plant and a pot with two plants
I tried it twice with 2 plants in a one gallon pot and 1 plant in a pot of the same size and shape. All plants were from clones taken from the same mother at the same time and rooted the same way. When ever they were transplanted up to a slightly larger container it was done at the same time, etc.

The two pots were placed near each other in the flowering cabinet. It took extra work watering the pot with the two since they were competing for the same amount of water as the one by itself. Extra work trimming the two side by side since they were shading each other from the light.

All plants were harvested the same day. Each plant's harvest was dried in its own brown paper bag and cured in its own jar. The two plants in the same jar came out to the same weight harvest, within a gram or two, as the one clone that was by itself.

Extra work and in the end the result was the same size harvest as the one by itself which required less effort.

great subject matter….. strictly opinion no facts on my part below

but written from perspective that plants communicate - I think it matters clones are used since genetically they are the exact same plant

In the case of 2 distinct strains I’m guessing that the stronger of the 2 strains or the one that hooks up with the soil & microbes first will have an advantage over its container-mate

great subject matter….. strictly opinion no facts on my part below

but written from perspective that plants communicate - I think it matters clones are used since genetically they are the exact same plant

In the case of 2 distinct strains I’m guessing that the stronger of the 2 strains or the one that hooks up with the soil & microbes first will have an advantage over its container-mate
hey @013 buddy, yes i agree i think they communicate, i also always put mycroroot(mycellium) when i re-pot so i think that combine with being clones helped them grow almost identical.

jump on over to my Mango/GSC journal, adding some more pics now

Thx @SmokingWings you have answered my question, albeit more work but bot pots gave the same grams.
a pot with one plant and a pot with two plants
Understandable. Plus with larger containers than I was using you will get more. I did my little tests a couple of times just to see if it could be done and what would happen. I was already trying to get an ounce out of a clone in one gallon of soil so why not see what happens with 2 clones in the same amount of soil.

Now that that set of experiments is over I figure it is not worth the extra effort growing two in one container. For minimum cost for another pot and some soil and I can grow each in its own container. Instead of one container producing 1 oz from two plants I can have one ounce per plant from two containers.

Understandable. Plus with larger containers than I was using you will get more. I did my little tests a couple of times just to see if it could be done and what would happen. I was already trying to get an ounce out of a clone in one gallon of soil so why not see what happens with 2 clones in the same amount of soil.

Now that that set of experiments is over I figure it is not worth the extra effort growing two in one container. For minimum cost for another pot and some soil and I can grow each in its own container. Instead of one container producing 1 oz from two plants I can have one ounce per plant from two containers.
i hear you on that, my problem is space (dont have space for pots) and the idea with more than 1 plant per pot was to cut down on veg and training time

I dont mean any offence. But I really don't see any advantage. It will pretty much only give the same yield as its the root structure and space which dictates this. It would more than likely be less if anything as 2 plants sharing wouldn't have the same energy potential as one plant. Everything is halfed but space isn't increased. Just seems counter productive personally I know it's painful to throw a cutting away, but a farmer can only plough the fields he has. You can't plant 2 crops in any other place as far as I'm aware. In nature the strongest and dominant plant usually wins unless they have some sort of symbiosis.

i hear you on that, my problem is space (dont have space for pots) and the idea with more than 1 plant per pot was to cut down on veg and training time
I only use 2.5L & 4.5L pots and have done two plants in 2.5L no problem, as long as you're not going to veg them for 8 weeks lol

I only use 2.5L & 4.5L pots and have done two plants in 2.5L no problem, as long as you're not going to veg them for 8 weeks lol
It's called sea of green. Its an awesome way of using lots of cuttings and doing fast crops. You do exactly what you said say 5 ft by 5 ft would have 20 plants. You veg for 2 to 3 weeks max then immediately place into flower. If you search for "sea of green" grow you'll find some great examples. It's quite an old school way of doing things. Can be great for intensive grows with limited space especially in height. I've even seen stacked grows with this style with grows on top of grows as plants don't reach higher than 1 meter.

It's called sea of green. Its an awesome way of using lots of cuttings and doing fast crops. You do exactly what you said say 5 ft by 5 ft would have 20 plants. You veg for 2 to 3 weeks max then immediately place into flower. If you search for "sea of green" grow you'll find some great examples. It's quite an old school way of doing things. Can be great for intensive grows with limited space especially in height. I've even seen stacked grows with this style with grows on top of grows as plants don't reach higher than 1 meter.
Yep, that is how I prefer to grow, SOG, but I don't have the space for mother & clones at the mo
Easier to buy seeds and flip early, shortly after topping at week 3-5 and getting a canopy that way instead

Back
Top Bottom