2009 Raleigh NC Edition of the Global Marijuana March

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
YES WEED CAN (borrowing from Obama)

Just got back from the Raleigh march and had a blast. We had a decent sized crowd (est 300-400) and they were fired up and vocal. Not the stereotypical passive potheads, but activists asserting their rights. I'm dedicating this thread to my friend User who couldn't make it to a rally this year.

Have to put this photo first because it drips with irony. Raleigh is a hotbed of biopharmaceutical manufacturing. This town has Glaxo, Pfizer, Wyeth, biogenidec and many more. What we really need is weed.
Irony_in_Raleigh.JPG

I got there at around high noon, and we mingled for a while. There was an open mic and after the link of poor unfortunate folks who were dry, took their turns announcing they were looking, we were treated to some decent music and a few excellent activist speeches. NC's got a medical marijuana bill in the works and a lot of the attendees were pushing hard for awareness.
Open_Mic.JPG

Open_Mic_1.JPG

Here's a few shots of the people just hanging around as the crowd started to build
Gathering_B4_1.JPG

well behaved officer
Gathering_B4_2.JPG

most of the smokin was near the "keep off the grass" signs - lol
Gathering_B4_3.JPG

Gathering_B4_4.JPG

Lot of cool friendly people. Here's a nice couple I met
Nice_couple.JPG

Dude had the monster joint from hell, weighed about 15 pounds
Little trouble stubbin it out on the concrete
Worlds_largest_joint.JPG

Worlds_largest_joint_1.JPG

These girls were funny, particularly the one on the left, she was a riot shaking her sign at LEO "you know you want to, you know you do"
These_girls_were_funny.JPG

Decent body art
Back_Leaf_1.JPG

Speaking of LEO, they weren't too bad. People were lighting up indiscreetly and they didn't really do anything about it. The only thing they did that bugged me was they kept corralling us (like horses) to the designated area. Essentially, they didn't care what we did as long as we stayed away from the citizens. When we got down at the street and were getting people honking and making noise, they shut the street down and drove up near the curb to keep us on the sidewalk.

This one's lost on the way to the donut store
Slightly_out_of_place.JPG

Here's some shots of the "honk for weed" campaign and the street closure.
Honk_for_Herb.JPG

Honk_for_Herb_2.JPG

Honk_for_Herb_1.JPG

Post_March_2.JPG

Sponsor and sign making, getting ready for 420..
NCCA_banner.JPG

Making_the_signs.JPG

Ah' smell the sweet smell everywhere.

It's just a plant and everyone should be able to choose their own medicine

Whadda We Want WEED!

When Do We Want It NOW!

Tic Toc the countdown begins...

It's 420 Let's March

What time do we smoke?
Marching_2.JPG

The march was great. We were making a lot of noise and blocking traffic with LEOs help. People were coming out of businesses and honking horns.

Funny tromping through sidewalk cafe's with the drinkers there.

Overall, I'd say maybe 60% of the people in the streets were super supportive, and 80% were supportive. Only got the finger or thumbs down a few times. Best part was when the huge fire truck blasted his horn in support, while the cops were yelling at us to get back on the sidewalk.

All in all - a blast by all...

Marching_1.JPG

Marching_3.JPG

Marching_4.JPG

Marching_5.JPG

Marching_6.JPG

Marching_7.JPG

Marching_8.JPG

Marching_9.JPG

Marching_10.JPG

Marching_11.JPG

Marching_12.JPG

Marching_13.JPG

Marching_14.JPG

Marching_15.JPG

Marching_16.JPG

Marching_17.JPG

Marching_18.JPG

Marching_19.JPG

Marching_20.JPG

Marching_21.JPG

Post_March.JPG

Post_March_1.JPG

Post_March_2.JPG

Looks like everyone was having a good time. I am a former Cary resident and was looking to see if there was anyone I knew.:peace: I had planned to attend the rally in Atlanta but my arthritis was too bad for the ride. It would be cool to have 420 name tags for events like this so we could meet some online friends.

thanks for posting the report & pics bro! it looks like a good time was had by all and a beautiful day for it. i was with you all in spirit. i thought of the marches often yesterday and as rob would say ' i sent you all positive energy'. what a great looking bunch of people.

I was really impressed with the people, easy to talk to, cared about the cause.

Hopefully, all over the world today, the marches the effect on people to do something and write their legislators.

I was hoping to see more cities check in. Maybe it's still early

:peace:

Small green world, I'm in Cary

I had my 420 Mag shirt, beenie, and 420 Mag stickers and logos on my sign.

Started a lot of conversations

wow, i didnt know you were in cary, you are closer than i thought! my brother was just in cary recently for a 311 show. hate i missed the rally, the more 'heads the better! can't wait for the next one!

Been in NC for 3 years now and I miss this every year. I gotta set a reminder. I'm used to Boston's Freedom fest and Seattle Hemp fest rolling around in September

Back
Top Bottom