3x3x72” tent, how many plants maximum?

Sure, it's called SOG (Sea of Green) growing style. Nine rooted clones per square foot in 4"x4" containers, straight to flowering light schedule (or at least "soon to flowering"). I'll never do it again, but that's because I'm a lazy f*cker, lol, and favor sativas over indicas. But, yes, it's doable for sure. It's also "perpetual garden friendly," because you can just keep feeding it clones at the same rate you pull them out. Mother-in-a-box ;) .

Quicker than a single-plant SCROG, too, with comparable yields. And you can make it a variety-pack (but I wouldn't recommend doing so to a novice, due to likely height differences, flowering-period length differences, and nutritional requirement differences).

This kind of thing wasn't terribly uncommon back when all cannabis grows were illegal cannabis grows.

In theory, you could do 16 per square foot, but I really wouldn't recommend that. If for no other reason, it'd be that much easier to blow past the 99-plant threshold at which point the feds become interested. And how much would it suck to face federal charges over a bunch of buds on a stick? :rolleyes:

It's not quite as dense in terms of plant spacing, but (approximately) four per square foot is also considered a SOG grow, and likely easier to manage. Many of you may have been members here long enough to have followed this journal when it was live:

Again, "How many can I fit in..." questions are largely meaningless. Are you the kind of anal-retentive OCD <BLEEP> who arranges the eggs in his refrigerator by weight? Then a SOG grow might be for you. Do you prefer ONE strain of cannabis and have enough skill to make it really unlikely that you'll end up killing a plant - and not mind a longer vegetative period? Then a single-plant SCROG could end up suiting you. Et cetera. You should try to grow cannabis in such a way that it doesn't become an onerous task, and via a method that won't end early because your plant - or plants - died.

Two more questions that aren't really answerable by themselves (but still get asked from time to time anyway) are:

What size light / how many lights do I need for <number of> plants?

How much will I yield?
I remember reading high times and seeing pics of SOG grows. Some with Rockwood on tables. But the ones using 2 liter coke bottles and geostones(?). I always wanted to try that. That was back when your choice of lights were 1000w or 400w. Take your pick, lol.

Sure, it's called SOG (Sea of Green) growing style. Nine rooted clones per square foot in 4"x4" containers, straight to flowering light schedule (or at least "soon to flowering"). I'll never do it again, but that's because I'm a lazy f*cker, lol, and favor sativas over indicas. But, yes, it's doable for sure. It's also "perpetual garden friendly," because you can just keep feeding it clones at the same rate you pull them out. Mother-in-a-box ;) .

Quicker than a single-plant SCROG, too, with comparable yields. And you can make it a variety-pack (but I wouldn't recommend doing so to a novice, due to likely height differences, flowering-period length differences, and nutritional requirement differences).

This kind of thing wasn't terribly uncommon back when all cannabis grows were illegal cannabis grows.

In theory, you could do 16 per square foot, but I really wouldn't recommend that. If for no other reason, it'd be that much easier to blow past the 99-plant threshold at which point the feds become interested. And how much would it suck to face federal charges over a bunch of buds on a stick? :rolleyes:

It's not quite as dense in terms of plant spacing, but (approximately) four per square foot is also considered a SOG grow, and likely easier to manage. Many of you may have been members here long enough to have followed this journal when it was live:

Again, "How many can I fit in..." questions are largely meaningless. Are you the kind of anal-retentive OCD <BLEEP> who arranges the eggs in his refrigerator by weight? Then a SOG grow might be for you. Do you prefer ONE strain of cannabis and have enough skill to make it really unlikely that you'll end up killing a plant - and not mind a longer vegetative period? Then a single-plant SCROG could end up suiting you. Et cetera. You should try to grow cannabis in such a way that it doesn't become an onerous task, and via a method that won't end early because your plant - or plants - died.

Two more questions that aren't really answerable by themselves (but still get asked from time to time anyway) are:

How much will I yield?
That has to be one of the best messages of the day, or week, or month. It is all there. Even an old matron English teacher would be proud. Shakespeare would be proud.

You start off with the humor in life. The paragraph that ends with "Mother in a Box".

Then you lead up to the tragedy that becomes part of life for those that go to far, the ones who forget to be a bit humble, the ones who don't know when to stop. The section with the paragraph that contains " If for no other reason, it'd be that much easier to blow past the 99-plant threshold at which point the feds become interested." Even the teachers who tried to drill the Greek and Roman plays into our heads would be proud. Aristotle would be happy.

To finish you write ""How many can I fit in..." questions are largely meaningless." and that sums up what we should learn about life and growing.

Great posting.

I was running 32 small plants in my 2x4 cabinet as a perpetual SOG for a while with good results...then had to chill out because I was getting nervous about being Way over legal plant count...which is ZERO in my state LOL.
I had clones and moms in a separate 2x3 tent. Every 2 weeks i would put 8 cuts in a clone dome, then put the rooted clones in 3" pots of coco for 2 weeks, then put them in 5x5 square pots and fill a 10x20 nursery tray with 8, put them in the bloom cab, pull a tray of 8 ripe plants and repeat. Was pulling about 4 oz every 2 weeks at approx 1/2 oz ea.
Yes, once the roots filled out they stayed thirsty so i set up an ebb/flow table and they go a nice drink every 4 hours.
Yes, it's a lot of hands on work that way and it's best to pluck off all the side branches (clones) BUT you pretty much have a little pot with a big cola coming out of it!
Best luck!

Attachments

• 20190330_204950.jpg
    20190330_204950.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 20190416_212234.jpg
    20190416_212234.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 223
Also you have to consider your light constraints vs strain. For example i have a 315 that takes up about 15" of vert space including mounting hardware, then another 18-24" of freeboard to the tops of your plants. Anything closer is toast! Then subtract another 6-10" for your pot and that leaves you 24-30" of plant height to work with! So any sativas have to go in very young or stick with indica hybrids ask me how i know!

Yeah, no doubt. Had a few "ask me how I know" experiences like that, too.

Hey, how are you liking your KC Brains strains? Haven't seen much mention of that company in several years. IIRC, they were the original "cheap cannabis seed breeder." But at least a few of the strains were decent, IMHO.

My wife's all time favorite strain is their mango and the grow has been okay i suppose. Not gonna say mind blowing but she's happy so that's cool. To date my favorite strain to grow has been doobiebird daydream by Colorado seed co

I was running 32 small plants in my 2x4 cabinet as a perpetual SOG for a while with good results...then had to chill out because I was getting nervous about being Way over legal plant count...which is ZERO in my state LOL.
I had clones and moms in a separate 2x3 tent. Every 2 weeks i would put 8 cuts in a clone dome, then put the rooted clones in 3" pots of coco for 2 weeks, then put them in 5x5 square pots and fill a 10x20 nursery tray with 8, put them in the bloom cab, pull a tray of 8 ripe plants and repeat. Was pulling about 4 oz every 2 weeks at approx 1/2 oz ea.
Yes, once the roots filled out they stayed thirsty so i set up an ebb/flow table and they go a nice drink every 4 hours.
Yes, it's a lot of hands on work that way and it's best to pluck off all the side branches (clones) BUT you pretty much have a little pot with a big cola coming out of it!
Best luck!
I really want to try that one day. How did you deal with the height issue in your flowering tent?

I really want to try that one day. How did you deal with the height issue in your flowering tent?
Hi, the short answer is stocky strains... for the perpetual SOG i was running a rotation of Mango, Northern Lights, Great white shark, and doobiebird daydream which were all indica or indica heavy hybrids. The trick is to flip them between 8-12" tall. The daydream has a blue dream mother and really wants to stretch so she goes in sooner. Northern lights is usually fine flipping at 12". I Really had to stay on top of pruning the lateral branches throughout the entire process which was tricky with the kc mango because she wants to push out bouquets instead of colas. I experimented with a few sativas (one thai and one chocolope) and it was a mess, lots of bending and some bud bleaching definitely happened LOL.

Oh, and i forgot to mention that harvesting and trimming these was a BREEZE!! One cut at the base, pluck a few fan leaves and hang em up! Once dry you can pretty much buck the buds off by hand into a bowl, have them trimmed and jarred in less than an hour vs taking down a massive plant all twisted and tangled up in a scrog net, then up all night trimming etc etc

How much will I yield?
Ok lol the OP asked a question, and you gave a smart a** answer and told OP his question was meaningless when it wasn’t AT ALL... (way to treat a newer member btw) ... if you bothered to comprehend what you read you would know what the OP was asking... he had a 3x3 tent and already suggested that he could MAYBE get 2 plants in there... obviously he was asking about how many normal plants he could get in the tent... not how many micro plants you could fit in your daydream garden.. his question wasn’t a brain teaser or a riddle dude lmao.. I’m sorry but I’m seeing way too much of people bashing on one another on here and it’s usually people that don’t have anything good to contribute anyways.. now have fun talking down about other members.. enjoy your night everyone. :peace:

How many mama plants did you have to have? Did you rotate the strains for the cuttings?
I kept 3-4 moms going, taking a few cuts here and there from them and then flipping them as slightly larger plants. Some i probably kept around too long. Honestly I could've probably the cycle going on the lateral branches prunes off the girls going into bloom. There were times i didn't have enough cuttings to fill it up and thats okay because we had bud galore! there were times i had way too many. There were times where we had a heat wave and lost a few moms to stress, etc.
I found an old pic kinda showing my veg/clone tent and i think it even has some tomato seedlings up top as well LOL

Attachments

• 20190123_215914.jpg
    20190123_215914.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 20190102_215823.jpg
    20190102_215823.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20190227_214851.jpg
    20190227_214851.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 229
Ok lol the OP asked a question, and you gave a smart a** answer and told OP his question was meaningless when it wasn’t AT ALL... (way to treat a newer member btw) ... if you bothered to comprehend what you read you would know what the OP was asking... he had a 3x3 tent and already suggested that he could MAYBE get 2 plants in there... obviously he was asking about how many normal plants he could get in the tent... not how many micro plants you could fit in your daydream garden.. his question wasn’t a brain teaser or a riddle dude lmao.. I’m sorry but I’m seeing way too much of people bashing on one another on here and it’s usually people that don’t have anything good to contribute anyways.. now have fun talking down about other members.. enjoy your night everyone. :peace:

A sane person would do a few...i did a few dozen, but that was for like a year. Otherwise i can comfortably keep 2-8 modest sized plants in some sort of perpetual rotation.

I kept 3-4 moms going, taking a few cuts here and there from them and then flipping them as slightly larger plants. Some i probably kept around too long. Honestly I could've probably the cycle going on the lateral branches prunes off the girls going into bloom. There were times i didn't have enough cuttings to fill it up and thats okay because we had bud galore! there were times i had way too many. There were times where we had a heat wave and lost a few moms to stress, etc.
I found an old pic kinda showing my veg/clone tent and i think it even has some tomato seedlings up top as well LOL
I wondered how you'd keep mama plants alive all the while you keep cutting shoots off of them. I guess if you went 4 strains on a 2 week rotation I can see a mother plant being ok with 4 weeks of recuperation. And I'm guessing you don't need a lot of light just to keep them vegging. I'd really like to give it a try. Maybe after this next grow I should roll the dice?

And remember a lot of clones can come from the pruned branches of daughter plants. For veg i used some t-5 style LEDs from home depot. They cost around $30/ea, pull 25 watts, put off very little heat, and can be plugged in series. I keep them on ratchet ropes so I can mess with their height with the exception of the ones I tied to the shelves in my veg tent.

Ok lol the OP asked a question, and you gave a smart a** answer and

...tried to explain my point as thoroughly as possible without writing a book? Yep, sure did. I just didn't wrap it in some textual version of a dumbass virtual hug, though. If you want that, go get yourself turned into a fifth-grader and have your mom enroll you in a kids' soccer league or something, lol. That kind of stuff... Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with it, I suppose... But it's not really necessary.

It's a shame that my failure to sand all the corners off caused you to miss my point, though.

[EDIT: I maybe could have been a little bit kinder in my delivery, been a little more thorough in my explanation - and probably would have done both of those things if I'd thought to do so, if I'd had more time, if I'd known that I'd end up getting someone's panties in a wad. <SHRUGS> No one is perfect, and I'm more imperfect than many.]

In a 3x3? What kinda yields would you get?:bongrip:

Depending on if you want a continuous flow of a few oz every 2 weeks or almost a pound every 2 months...most seed banks list an estimated yield per square meter which is pretty close to 3x3. Also a 315 lec best covers a 3x3.

There were times i didn't have enough cuttings to fill it up and thats okay because we had bud galore! there were times i had way too many.

I'm of the opinion that it's often better off to not have enough plants to fill the space than to have way too many - especially when one is a (relatively) new grower.

EDIT: That reminds me... New cannabis growers, it's OKAY to toss out a perfectly good cannabis plant in order to provide enough room for the rest of them! That can be a painful thing, I suppose, and it might "go against the grain," so to speak. But if you need to, you need to.

Back
Top Bottom