90 Watt UFOs One Happy Camper!

NCDude

A while back, I bought three 90 watt UFO Leds. I hung them in a couple of different areas, and I wasn't too thrilled with the results....recently I made a little tent, and replanted into bigger pots, 3 retired mothers, who were real healthy and bushy (no LST, but I had topped them several times)...I hung the UFOs, one light per plant...when I bloomed them, I added 3 CFL bloom bulbs..

So, far, these are my best efforts, the colas/buds are looking pretty dang good...heres the tent
DIY_tent_2.jpg

Heres the plants last week
Bub_3.jpg
Bud_14.jpg
Bud_14.jpg

This weeks pics
SundayBud_6.jpg
SundayBud_4.jpg
SundayBud_7.jpg
SundayBud_7.jpg
SundayBud_1.jpg
SundayBud_1.jpg

Im using Happy Frog soil, and OC+..... Im a happy camper!

Dr Feelgood, they are 35 watts each, there's 3 of them....Im sure they add alot to the mix...thanks

I have 2 pretty decent grows with one UFO 90, supplemented with CFLs. Twice, half the power transformers blew, but Sunshine was honorable.

Before buying another I decided to thoroughly investigate LED research. Here's what not to like...

* Different spectrum bulbs decline well before others.
* Many EBay purchases are nowhere near their wattage.
* The power supplies/bulbs are not field replaceable.
* At some point (no where near the hype life expectancy) the entire fixture is worthless.

What to do?

I settled on a Quantum Bad Boy T-5 (8 HO bulbs @~50 watts= ~400 watts= $350). 2 lumen choices 2900/6500. These I can mix to approximate light intensity from spring planting- fall harvest.
Also the foot print is 2 X4 tripling the real coverage of one UFO 90.

HTH

Hello PetFlora...thanks for your' reply
I've got several closets going, and just recently got a BadBoy, and like it very much...

I still use my UFO for seedlings/clones, but for growing/flowering, it does not compare to my BB, which cost me the same $$$ almost 2 years later.

That said the LED game is on. The newest ones are taking no prisoners grow wise, BUT, their long term costs do not warrant their upfront cost. Plus, the ability to play Sun God should have additional benefits.

I worked for years in the jewelery business...when the first LQD watches came out (these were a 'gold tone' with the red dials, you had to push a button for it to light up!), the upscale fancy uptpwn store sold all they could for $850.00! Two years later you could buy one at the 7/11 for two bucks...they have been obsolete for 25 years now...

It seems that most people who buy the cheap Chinese LED's are almost never satisfied with the results and the lights have to be supplemented with other lights to get any meaningful results.

That said the LED game is on. The newest ones are taking no prisoners grow wise, BUT, their long term costs do not warrant their upfront cost. Plus, the ability to play Sun God should have additional benefits.

I have been following many LED grows and it seems that you have to spend close to $1000 for a LED that will produce excellent results. Compare that to about $250 I spent on a 600W HID setup...I wonder how long it would take me to recoup the $750 difference in price through lower electricity costs? I think it would take a while. Granted, the LED's do produce a lot less heat but for me the heat is manageable.

Highandwired
Now I am a bonified newbie/hack, I've been growing for about 9 mos. Im in a condo, and an using several closet areas, plus a couple pf tents. Heat & noise is an issue. Theres no way I could use a 600 HID...and I really can't say that these LEDs are the reason why this group is doing well (my best so far)...it may be the suppliment lights, or the plants themselves, they were some mothers I decided to flower. They were pretty bushy, cause I had been triming them. Im very pleased with the penatration, as busy as they are, there are colas/bud deep in the bush.

Is this from the LEDs of the CFLs?

Thanks for your reply!
FOD_5.jpg
FOD_2.jpg
FOD_1.jpg

Highandwired
Now I am a bonified newbie/hack, I've been growing for about 9 mos. Im in a condo, and an using several closet areas, plus a couple pf tents. Heat & noise is an issue. Theres no way I could use a 600 HID...
Is this from the LEDs of the CFLs?

Yes I suppose that if you are in an apartment, it would be difficult to use a HID set-up. I suppose if I had noise and heat issues I would have to invest in an expensive LED too.

As to your other question...it next to impossible to tell if all the buds are from LED's or CFL's. Probably a combination of both. I know you can flower MJ just under CFL's and you can flower them under LED's too. So probably it's both types of lights that contribute to the development of your medicine. :grinjoint:

Hey Hemp...the three ladies seem happy, my best grow...my local garden shop gave me a sample of Hydroplex. I was leary of bud additives, because I didn't know, and the marketting hype. But these plants seem to like it!
Sexy_Girl_3.jpg
sexygirl_1.jpg
SexyGirl_2.jpg

I'll be harvesting soon. I'm real curious about the weight of the bud. I'll post pics again then..

Thank you

Update pics. HARVEST!!!!!
Superbowl Sunday, was Superharvest Sunday 'round here on the three girls under the UFOs...
H54.jpg
H81.jpg
H110.jpg

I've come along way since these,
My_Little_Nug.jpg

I've got some others under the Badboys, they still have a few more weeks

High NCDude

As short as it was ...:)

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too!
:cheer:

I'm moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom