About fans?

I'd like to get on board with ya, Bush, sounds logical but . . . I think what we need to settle this whole thing conclusively is to grow two indoor crops, identical strains, side by side but with one subjected to "wind;" the other not and see what happens. Then repeat the experiment over and over to verify the results. Of course, if we REALLY want to get picky, we can breed our own plants for stable seeds rather than use someone else's. If someone undertakes this challenge he/she might be a hero. Sounds like a lot of work, though. I think I'd rather kick back with a plate of cookies, stuff my face, and enjoy a good couch lock.
From the Hydrofarm site. Just ran across it.
"If the air is still, it can cause a "depletion layer effect". This effect causes the CO2 right next to the plant leaf to be quickly depleted. If fresh air carrying additional CO is not brought to this surface, photosynthesis and growth will diminish and eventually cease."

From the Hydrofarm site. Just ran across it.
"If the air is still, it can cause a "depletion layer effect".

I think this can be a very valid concern in a tightly enclosed environments such as grow tents and closets. As I stated earlier, my grow takes up a 2' X 8' area in a 14' X 20' storeroom so I assume there's enough air movement to prevent the "depletion layer effect." But assumptions can be dangerous. However, I have an idea: I have to do something for oder control, as the strains of my current grow are known to be stinky. So, I'll mount an inline fan/charcoal filter just to one end of the grow. Hopefully this will draw fresh air through the plants, at least enough to stir the air around a bit. One of my concerns about using fans is the added cost of electricity. So in my case, one stone-two birds. I hope.

I'd like to get on board with ya, Bush, sounds logical but . . . I think what we need to settle this whole thing conclusively is to grow two indoor crops, identical strains, side by side but with one subjected to "wind;" the other not and see what happens. Then repeat the experiment over and over to verify the results. Of course, if we REALLY want to get picky, we can breed our own plants for stable seeds rather than use someone else's. If someone undertakes this challenge he/she might be a hero. Sounds like a lot of work, though. I think I'd rather kick back with a plate of cookies, stuff my face, and enjoy a good couch lock.
That theory sounds great but in reality doesn't blow. I had 2 auto freebie beans given to me so planted them in one pot with my photos in other pots. One plant is tall and skinny and the other is short and bushy. Obviously being in the same pot you'd expect identical results but here are
20200106_111856[1].jpg
20200106_111848[1].jpg
20200101_083723[1].jpg
the pics.

I think this can be a very valid concern in a tightly enclosed environments such as grow tents and closets. As I stated earlier, my grow takes up a 2' X 8' area in a 14' X 20' storeroom so I assume there's enough air movement to prevent the "depletion layer effect." But assumptions can be dangerous. However, I have an idea: I have to do something for oder control, as the strains of my current grow are known to be stinky. So, I'll mount an inline fan/charcoal filter just to one end of the grow. Hopefully this will draw fresh air through the plants, at least enough to stir the air around a bit. One of my concerns about using fans is the added cost of electricity. So in my case, one stone-two birds. I hope.
You can consider having the blower draw the air in through the filter and the discharge blow across the plants. That discharge will cause more air movement over the plants than will take place by the fan drawing air into the filter.

If you set it up the way it sounds like you are thinking there will be minimal movement of the leaves, if any movement at all. But have the discharge blow across the tops, maybe 3-6 above the plant and the movement of the leaves will be noticeable.

This is all going on the belief that you are not going to discharge the air( that has had the odors removed) straight through and out of the house.

That theory sounds great but in reality doesn't blow. I had 2 auto freebie beans given to me so planted them in one pot with my photos in other pots. One plant is tall and skinny and the other is short and bushy. Obviously being in the same pot you'd expect identical results but here are
20200106_111856[1].jpg
20200106_111848[1].jpg
20200101_083723[1].jpg
the pics.
Getting 2 phenos from the same strain is common.

This is all going on the belief that you are not going to discharge the air( that has had the odors removed) straight through and out of the house.

Yeah, can't discharge outside. Brick house. I'd have to run a vent up through the main floor and then up through the ceiling into the attic (above the brick) to vent outside. My take-away based on Bush's research is that any air movement would be helpful, so it's stir-n-scrub for me. Stir the air for some movement, and scrub it for odor.

Drill a hol
Yeah, can't discharge outside. Brick house. I'd have to run a vent up through the main floor and then up through the ceiling into the attic (above the brick) to vent outside. My take-away based on Bush's research is that any air movement would be helpful, so it's stir-n-scrub for me. Stir the air for some movement, and scrub it for odor.
Drill a hole though the wall and vent out that way. I’m growing in the basement and used my dryer vent for tent exhaust and ran a new line for the dryer.

Understand. But I really feel that you will get more air movement by drawing the air in through the filter first and letting it discharge out over the plant.

Set up the filter and put the fan or blower on it. Turn it on and light a paper match a foot away from the filter and then blow it out. Check for air movement which would be moving the smoke towards the filter. Then take the next match and while about 4 feet away from the discharge direction and blow it out. The smoke will be moved and dissipated real quickly by the air movement.

I have a photo somewhere of my set-up in the flowering cabinet. I should find it and put it on my hard-drive.

Get CO2 and you can grow in closed room.

Thanks, but I have plenty of room in my grow area and I don't want to grow in tent, closet, or other tightly enclosed area where I have to be concerned about humidity and so on. I also have to watch expenses. But I do like SmokingWings idea of fan/filter direction.

"It's just enough to give a light breeze and it's only 2 watts."

Okay, Bill, so it's USB. What are you using to power it up? In other words, what are you plugging into?
I use a spare phone charger plug, works well for me, nice and quiet and is just enough to keep the air moving.

That's a thought.
Found the photo I was looking for and realized that it did not show what I needed it to show. Finally took one that I think will explain what I am doing.

The bottom of the filter canister sits on the floor of the cabinet. The blower is mounted on top and points straight up. The air is pulled into the filter and discharged towards the top of the cabinet. It then follows across the top. The arrows show the way. It is enough to move the air around and over the canopy. I guess I could put a flexible hose or tube on the blower and mount it following the arrows but I am happy with what I have.

The blower is plugged into a basic timer and comes on several times a day for an hour or so. It is there to reduce the possibility of any odor from the flowers being noticeable upstairs. The air movement across the canopy is just a bonus. Just an idea I had that might help with your grow project.

Thanks. This gives me some ideas. BTW, you run the fan intermittently?
Yes. I have it come on when the fan's timer is set to off. However, if I am having a gathering of friends, family, in-laws and outlaws I might go down and override the filter timer so it filters out the odors while everyone is over. It depends on who is here or how strong the odor.

A small amount of the air coming from the fan or the filter blower flows across the ceiling of the cabinet. Some of it escapes through an opening and that escape pulls in some fresh air from another opening so it kills another bird with the same stone.

Back
Top Bottom