Aerogarden - Browning tips but maybe not nute burn?

Canadian Joe

image36079.jpg

View image in gallery

Ok, im using an Aerogarden Bounty and The trio of Fox Farms hydroponic nutrients at 1/4 strength. I'm in week three of flower and everything was doing fine until the humidity dropped from 35-40 down to 20-25. The plant started drinking lots more water and thus, from what I'm told, processes nutes through faster with the water. I decided to add just a gallon of plain PH'd water at about 6.5 to see if nutes was the problem. I also trimmed the brown curling ends off the tips of the leaves so everything was all green again.

It's been a week since I added plain water and the tips, the areas where I trimmed the old burned tips off, are starting to brown again and the leaves around the brown are turning a light green. I'm thinking it was low humidity nutrient burn at first but now I think I may have a deficiency from going a week without nutes. Originally it was a classic nute burn with curling brown tips but now it's something different I think as its traveled down the serrated points of the leaves.

I don't see an option to add a photo.

Joe

I always recalibrate my ph meter first when i see that the leaves are showing signs of change.... I try to rule out a ph change as the source of the problem first....

Thanks, I did something I've never done before which is pump out the reservoir and replace it completely fresh instead of just adding when it got low so I know exactly what's in there.

I used reverse osmosis water with a Fox Farm, Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom at a 1/4 strength mixture and PH'd to 6.5. I started thinking that t may not be a nutrient burn issue after I used plain PH water for a week and they are still getting brown tips and one of the plants is getting light green with the next step being yellow green and then yellow which I suspect is not enough nutrients.

The grow sponges have lots of salts on the tops of them so it's probably best that I completely replaced the reservoir water. Otherwise they are doing ok.

As for the low Humidiy, I added a tiny travel humidifier to the box with a timer that comes on for 10 minutes every hour so the humidity issue may resolve some of the problems.

Thanks, Joe

It's was neither. I went to my local hydro shop and told the owner what's was happening and showed him the pictures. By then the leaves where already turning yellow. He diagnosed my plant as nutrient deficient including needing more nitrogen. I was using Fox Farms at 1/4 strength and he bumped it up to 1/2 strength plus adding CaliMagic and a Nitrogen supplement on top of doubling my nutes. It fixed the issue and the plant looks awesome now.

Flushing was what I thought to and did it ans that made it worse. Luckily I got to the hydro store just in time and got the professional opinion that saved my grow.

Back
Top Bottom