Alberta Cannabis Cultivation: More Than 4 Plants

dell420can

420 Member
Hello all,
I am from Alberta, Canada and I have a legal question about Cannabis cultivation in Alberta.
In a hypothetical situation where the owner of a house is growing too much Cannabis, say >4 Plants <8 Plants, what is the liability for the roommate that is not growing any Cannabis?

Also is there a restriction on the type of seeds that are allowed?

Is there anything the roommate can do to protect themselves? Is there a legal precedence for this scenario? Is enforcement action likely?

Don’t know anything about Canadian law, hypothetically, you really need to talk to someone from legal aid, a cannabis advocate, or a lawyer, not an online chat room. It could hinge on whose name is one the least/deed, and whether the grow is in a common area or a separate locked room that only the grower has access to. It could be a bit dodgy trying to protect a roommate.

Edit: Hypothetically, given the somewhat draconian penalties for more than 4 plants (fine of $2000-$100000 plus potential jail time) why would you want to expose yourself, much less a roommate, to that liability, when you can grow 4 plants legally?

Good morning,
Thanks for the reply, I have talked to Five lawyers, no one wants to practice in this area of law. Some lawyers recommended checking Google and Reddit.

Don’t know anything about Canadian law, hypothetically, you really need to talk to someone from legal aid, a cannabis advocate, or a lawyer, not an online chat room. It could hinge on whose name is one the least/deed, and whether the grow is in a common area or a separate locked room that only the grower has access to. It could be a bit dodgy trying to protect a roommate.

Edit: Hypothetically, given the somewhat draconian penalties for more than 4 plants (fine of $2000-$100000 plus potential jail time) why would you want to expose yourself, much less a roommate, to that liability, when you can grow 4 plants legally?
Yeah - I'd be happy to legally grow one plant at a time
Instead we have to furtively scurry around like we're doing something heinous lol

*aside* Our PM announced today that he's introducing a ban on the sale of tobacco - that won't fuel a black market much, will it? Hahaha, what a clown

Yeah - I'd be happy to legally grow one plant at a time
Instead we have to furtively scurry around like we're doing something heinous lol

*aside* Our PM announced today that he's introducing a ban on the sale of tobacco - that won't fuel a black market much, will it? Hahaha, what a clown
That’s crazy, I can’t imagine the chaos when a large portion of the country goes into nicotine withdrawal. Things are gonna get a little “tense”. I can see it now, tobacco sniffing dogs at the airport and ferry terminals! Maybe it’ll take some of the heat off weed? ZI do remember smuggling a few boxes of Cuban cigars into the US.

I quit smoking few years ago, and I'm glad because I wasn't in great health. I heard our gov wanted to do a grandfathered in thing where people could still buy tobacco if they were able to already. And I mean, it would keep future generations from becoming addicted - but let's be honest, that's not why they want to change the law at all. We have government health care here in Canada and the costs of treating people with problems from smoking costs a chunk of change. Personally, I believe some people can probably enjoy tobacco in moderation, it's been used in ceremonies for ages, and banning it seems like a step backwards like Roy mentioned because it just encourages the black market to flourish and labels innocent people as criminals. They've recently passed something where companies will need to print anti smoking messages right on the individual cigarettes themselves now instead of just the packaging.

Good morning,
Thanks for the reply, I have talked to Five lawyers, no one wants to practice in this area of law. Some lawyers recommended checking Google and Reddit.
I would report all five to the Alberta Bar for flippant advice like that. My thought is one person taking the rap as long as no trafficking is involved. It's not like we're under Harpers mandatory sentencing anymore. Lord knows where the country will be if Skippy gets federal clout.

Well... going to five lawyers and saying hey I'm an accomplice to a crime isn't great.
Neither is going around and saying "my roommate is breaking the law"...
That's a good way to find trouble so I second the "if you don't like it move".

Well... going to five lawyers and saying hey I'm an accomplice to a crime isn't great.
Neither is going around and saying "my roommate is breaking the law"...
That's a good way to find trouble so I second the "if you don't like it move".
Yes I agree, it is very annoying because Lawyers like to do a conflict check before they will even talk to you, then they say - sorry I don't practice that area.

I'm mainly curious if there was a precedence set yet.

Back
Top Bottom