Ambrosia Under CFL & Two LED 450's

Re: First attempt at a CFL grow from non fem seeds

420-magazine-mobile1050564050.jpg
420-magazine-mobile241767588.jpg
420-magazine-mobile379963225.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1381285049.jpg
420-magazine-mobile948122232.jpg
Well I did it. I topped them all at 3, and am trying to clone the tops. Hopefully it works. I know that they aren't very big, but I'd like to know the sex of them before they are planted outside. The next 10 days will be excruciating.
RedHector

First attempt at a CFL grow from non fem seeds

I also think that they are a bit calmag deficient. I will pickup some tomorrow.
RedHector

There is no such thing as 'cal mag' deficiency.

"Calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) are two different elements required for plant nutrition. One, Ca, is immobile. That means it cannot be translocated (moved) through plant tissues. The other, Mg, is highly mobile in plant tissues.

Understanding this is important on a few levels, including making a proper diagnosis. Because Ca is immobile a deficiency will only occur on the upper, or newer growth. Because Mg is so mobile deficiencies occur on the older, or lower growth.

Their appearances and effects are also very different, and while both elements play together and are required by the plant, they cannot be lumped together as a single deficiency. You can experience both a Ca- and a Mg-, but they are not one and the same thing, not at all."
Courtesy of 'Sea Maiden'

It is in fact the nutrient lines who combine these CalMagPhos+ products when sometimes... especially in veg... you only need one.

Overnuting your plants can cause lockout. I don't see deficiency when I look at your plants. They actually look a very dark green... calcium deficiency displays as rust colored patches on your leaves.... magnesium deficiency displays as yellowing starting at the center of the leaf and growing outwards.

I am not saying all this to be contrary but rather save you from magnesium toxicity or nutrient lockout early in the game. I am dealing with magnesium toxicity with one of my plants. It's dark green with waxy almost fake looking leaves. It is so far behind all my other plants and will not drink water for days and days.

CalMag+ products were originally meant for hydro growers using RO water and therefor needing to put BACK the things that normal water has plenty of.

This kind of goes back to looking at your ppm. I just don't think seedlings in soil under cfl could be dealing with a calcium or magnesium deficiency this early but that's just my opinion. If you knew your waters ppm it could be settled easily.

And that is not to say that a CalMag+ won't fix whatever you believe to be ailing. Adding it will change your ph, your EC count, and soil conditions. Often growers don't even realize that it isn't the CalMag that's is helping their plants it is simply a side effect or a byproduct of its use that is causing their plants to look better...

If you really are seeing rust spots in the center of your leaves or yellowing from the center outwards you could very well be in need of some cal mag. And remember calcium effects upper or newer growth and magnesium effects the older lower growth.

I have not had need for calmag at all throughout my entire grow. I have city water and as I mentioned it is sourced in the nearby mountain springs which means my waters EC count is 315ppm. Lots and lots of cal,mag, and phos! Just something to think about.

XxKitty

Hi Cannakitty,
You are correct. I made that post late night, while tired and without much thought. I should have stated that I have yellowing of the leaves lower on the plants, starting with the edges with a few completely yellow.
My chart of leaf images showing common deficiencies isn't very clear, and I am very inexperienced. After looking I think it is either nitrogen deficiency or magnesium deficiency.
I will post better photos later today.
If it is nitrogen, I expect to see some improvement, as I gave them a good feed two days ago.
Also, would you pm me to tell me where in Italy you live? My wife and I took our kids to Rome over New Years. We had an amazing time and want to explore more of Italy.
RedHector

Hey Redhector,

I think you may have an overwatering problem, rather than a deficiency. Your plants have textbook symptoms.

- Leaves curling downwards lengthwise from stem to tip

- Chlorosis (Yellowing of leaves) starting at the bottom of the plant

- Slow and/Or stunted Growth (Can't say as to whether or not they're growing significantly slow for the strain and lighting etc., but the weirdly twisted leaves are the result of stunted growth.)

It can be hard to tell whether or not you're giving them the right amount of water, a properly watered plant will have fairly flat leaves with the whole face of each leaf directed as best it can towards the light.

To determine whether a plant is over or under watered is simple, but counterintuitive. We often think of things with less water as dry and things with more as wet, and try to associate the symptoms of everyday things being wet or dry with the symptoms of our plants. Like how a wet towel feels very limp, but if you lay it out to dry in the sun it can become pretty stiff. Cannabis plants however are the opposite, they work more like an erection. The more fluid getting pumped in there the stiffer they will feel, and tend to curl evenly though the leaf. The less fluid the 'limper' they will feel, and tend to droop from the base of the leaf or the stem of the leaf.

I was just on *roweeedeasy.co* (I don't think I'm supposed to name other websites). I think that I've been chronically underwatering.
420-magazine-mobile1228211675.jpg

This pic was taken from the site and to my untrained eye, it looks just like my plants. Opinions? I was away for a few weeks, and my wife was on watering duties. They were pretty dry when I got back, and every photo she sent had them looking dry to me.
I hope this is what it is, as I will just make sure to give them water a bit more frequently.
RedHector

I was just on *roweeedeasy.co* (I don't think I'm supposed to name other websites).. I think that I've been chronically underwatering.
420-magazine-mobile1228211675.jpg

This pic was taken from the site and to my untrained eye, it looks just like my plants. Opinions? I was away for a few weeks, and my wife was on watering duties. They were pretty dry when I got back, and every photo she sent had them looking dry to me.
I hope this is what it is, as I will just make sure to give them water a bit more frequently.
RedHector

Ehhh... I hate to sound so damn contrary every time I post here! I'm sorry if it comes off that way. I am just trying to help and have no filter.

That being said, it's very difficult to underwater a cannabis plant. She would have had to been waiting till the leaves were heavily dropping before watering time after time after time. Over and under watering looks very alike. If she never let them get to the point where all their leaves were sagging I would rule out under watering.

If you aren't or she didn't let the plants dry out to the point where they were almost completely light (but before the leafs sag) then it could be overwatering. Seedlings need so little water. I only use a spray bottle sparingly for their first two weeks of life. I water the soil to saturation when I put the germinated seed in the pot and then I don't fully water the plant again for those first two weeks. Seedlings flourish when given the chance to go from completely wet to completely dry.

If your ph is good I am going to say maybe you have very soft tap water... and need more nutrients. Some plants/strains have bigger appetites than others. Maybe it's time to grab a cheap ppm meter off eBay???

XxKitty

Just ordered one today. I want to get to the bottom of this. My ph was around 6.5 2 days ago. Every time I've tested it, it's been between 6.5 and 7. I need to add a heck of a lot of ph up to my nutrients to balance them, but I had them between 6 and 6.5 last feeding.
I can show you several photos of sagging leaves. ( This sounds dirty for some reason) this was over a 2 week period of time.
420-magazine-mobile744839667.jpg
420-magazine-mobile849277397.jpg

These were taken on different days while I was out of town, they look dry to me.
I'm open to all possibilities, and the ppm tester can't get here soon enough. . I'm not one to use many emoticons, but I felt the need tonight.
RedHector

420-magazine-mobile685220.jpg
420-magazine-mobile208585718.jpg
420-magazine-mobile259179434.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2059590187.jpg
420-magazine-mobile433558881.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1078511753.jpg

I had the boys and girls out in the sunshine for a few hours yesterday and today. The kept me company while I worked in the garden and harvested some kale. We have so much of the stuff. I'm trying to freeze it this year, let's see if it works.
The plants seem to be bouncing back from being topped. The clones rant obviously dead yet... Maybe I'll have some luck with them.
RedHector

Is it possible they're root bound? I had to up pot fairly quickly into the 5 gallons... or maybe there's not enough aeration in their little pots? Good luck buddy!

Oh holy batroots Hector! Mine just went into flower & I have no idea if I've wasted time & soil on boys yet~ but if they're girls they're going to be some monsters! Good job with the up potting! My bet is they're going to explode on you!

They doo seem to like the 5 gal, pots. I've noticed a fair bit of growth since repotting. I have also brought the light up to 18 hours per day now, as the outdoor plants are now out. I just received another led light in the mail today... You can never have too much, right?;>
RedHector

They doo seem to like the 5 gal, pots. I've noticed a fair bit of growth since repotting. I have also brought the light up to 18 hours per day now, as the outdoor plants are now out. I just received another led light in the mail today... You can never have too much, right?;>
RedHector
They weren't on an 18/6 cycle? I'll bet they'll reeeaaallly grow fast now!

Hi Vesp,
I had them on 15 hours so that I could transplant them to the outdoors. In May we have 15 hours of daylight locally. This was my plan to prevent the transplants from going straight into flower when they went outside.
I am expecting them to develop a bit faster now.:thumb:
RedHector

Back
Top Bottom