Amonia smell from harvested bud

Didn't u bring this subject up for debate? or just to blow your own horn??
Everyone has a opinion, sort of like assholes we all got one.

Oh my friend, I'm so tired of this thread lol. Everything I've researched including talking to a soil tester at Simplot, points to soil. Nitrogen was thrown around a lot. The cat piss smell occurs when the soil doesnt contain enough oxygen to break down the microorganisms properly, which in turn causes the cat piss smell. Talking to restoration experts they smile and say how many cats because mold doesnt smell like cat piss. What to believe? I have just recently come across this smell in 40 years of smoking. Lots say its mold even when mold isnt present, some say it's due to improper curing but not bad to smoke, some laugh and say give it to me to test out for ya. I did notice however lots of people think the strain cat piss which smells and tastes like cat piss, is great no matter the smell. I found my answers lots still have questions. I wont smoke it...lots will lots enjoy it. It isnt mold as far as any kind of so called experts I've talked to. As for the humidity packs...I dont know. Never used them.

I am not a connoisseur of cat piss so not exactly sure what it smells like.
However if your weed smells like "ammonia" then it's either one of the few cultivars that the terpenes reek like ammonia or its actual ammonia.
I would say if the bud feels dry and overall looks fine then its probably terpenes.
If the bud feels very moist still then it could be mold.
You could check with a UVB light, mold and such should stand out.

Yes every single strain that I have sensed that smell I have checked with UVB and microscope. No sign of mold, no rot, all good looking buds, just that smell kills me. There are a lot of people who swear by the cat piss strain, I simply am not in tune with the cat piss smell and refuse to smoke anything that doesnt smell or look good. Picky me lol. Just a curiosity that seems to be trending of why this occurs in strains not lineaged to a cat piss strain, although I have heard of a few other strains that can??? have the same cat piss smell. My gaming partner is in the disaster clean up business and laughed when I asked him about mold smelling like cat piss, he said your smelling cat piss, that smell is very distinct and he's never run upon even a make believe mold smelling like that. Maybe an old wet gym sock but not cat piss. Go figure. A friend at simplot (soil tester) said something about nitrogen and the lack of oxygen in the soil which prevents the proper breakdown of the microorganisms, Will make stuff smell similar to cat piss....my question is how someone stumbled on this cat piss thing, what did they do to obtain such an odor on purpose...and why? Lol. Oh well I hope my skunk doesnt smell like cat piss lol.

Didn't u bring this subject up for debate? or just to blow your own horn??
Everyone has a opinion, sort of like assholes we all got one.
Lol you look like the biggest fruit loop. You should really think before you hit that send button. You first off stated that I insisted on smoking rotten moldy cat piss smelling weed. This thread was based on why plants recently have become associated with an ammonia aroma...not just ammonia but CAT PISS ammonia aroma. I dont want to touch the shit. Its foul and there is a reason for it. Some like you believe that its mold. It most certainly is not mold, that is paranoia. EVEN WHEN THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS OF MOLD OR BUD ROT....TOP SHELF SHIT LOOKING...are ya following this yet?
The discussion took a turn to drying and curing. Improper drying and curing doesnt mean you are going to have to deal with mold unless your an idiot
It's still fixable...are you still there? Shit that goes rotten smells like a wet old gym sock, like rotten hay or cut grass that sits for days and you get that whiff. It is not a cat piss smell no matter how bad you're wanting it to be. Moldy weed is as evident as a fkng car crash and any person on their right head would see it right off the bat, forget the smell. Do I still have your attention? Then the whole discussion turned to the soil issue which in all fairness is the most logical and the only one that involves anything to do with a cat piss smell. It was a discussion a few days ago and was closed by me because I had my answers. Then I get this which I was expecting but had no intentions of following but you need educated and you just got one. Grow up and put in your two cents when you make sense. Maybe try starting from the op and follow all the way through b4 you go looking like one of those guys.

I voiced my own opinion, agree or disagree if u wish, but calling names ? WHY
U seem to b hell bent for a fight.... well find someone else to fight with I’m out.
Thanks for the education :adore: Your the best. Now that’s sarcasm

Easy way to see if your smokable weed has mold.

Put the bud between thumb and finger in front of a light. Squeeze it down fast and hard. Did you see a little smoke looking stuff coming off the bud? That's the mold...

That’s how we use to check for mold along with that ammonia smell when we got bails of Mexican.
That puff told the story with that smell I can never forget lol

personally i would think it was bacterial related lots of bacteria release NH3 (ammonia) when doing their processes mold is fungal and honestly besides soil ive never heard about anything bacterial from crown up but might be something to look into surely there are bacteria present. i worked on a cattle farm in ky for a couple years and when we would cut down black locust (look like they are a million years old but alive) after a few days the underside of the bark would smell extremely strong of ammonia like burn your eyes and throat strong which seems like the right time frame for bacteria to settle in and devour the freshly rotting possibly molding plant material. so idk maybe. maybe im insane i looked but could not find any info but its far from the first thing ive come up with with no info but its something to think about for sure

also lots of bacteria can survive flame and ice so that's all pretty dangerous for your lungs I'm gonna say bacterial infections are no fun
That post was from 2019.

so what you seen it lol ive read threads from 10 yrs ago and i got what info i needed from them so in that sense all posts are actually immortal especially if they have valuable information you think just cause its from 2019 everyone on the planet knows about it.. turd

so what you seen it lol ive read threads from 10 yrs ago and i got what info i needed from them so in that sense all posts are actually immortal especially if they have valuable information you think just cause its from 2019 everyone on the planet knows about it.. turd
I understand older posts have relivent info. Was just giving a heads up incase you were waiting for the OP to reply. Happy growing friend.

Ammonia is a by product of nitrogen based fertilizer. The grow operations corporate\government don't care what they spray or how it affects people as long as the profit is there. Actually it is probably a well known way to fuck people up so they are all over it, because the plan is to fuck everything up!!

I have done extensive googling and as much research as I can find on why weed would smell like amonia....not human piss or sweat...AMMONIA (IMAGINE 15 CATS LOCKED IN YOUR CLOSET AND THEM SPRAYING EVERYWHERE FOR A GOOD WEEK...) Living in an area where I dont get a choice or any testing done just getting it from a guy. For the last 2 or 3 months the cannabis, no matter which strain or how moist or dry it is, on a 50/50 basis smells like amonia. Some faint some very strong. In 40 years of toking I have NEVER smelt an aroma like that coming from cannabis. There are a ton of people asking the same thing all over the internet. Most cry mold, however, I have black lighted and magnified and ZERO MOLD unless it is invisible, which could be but doubtful on a cannabis plant. You can imagine trying to toke on bud that smells like cat piss? Yes I know there is a strain called cat piss and some other very undesirable strains as far as smell goes, and this comes from a person who thinks they should make a skunk bud air freshener. Does anybody really have a clue to this. People say mold I say bullshit. If anyone can give a logical explanation in layman terms please do. Growers are fucking up everything thinking they need to cross 1000 times and putting shit in and on the plants to make them look better and endangering the health of the consumers. More and more this amonia thing is coming up. Why isnt there a str8 answer to it?
I grew a nevilles haze last winter. 5 weeks grow and 14 weeks flower with 14th week being a flush. I dried it on netting for 6-7 days then put in quart jars, burping once or twice a week. i brought the jar out a couple of days ago and noticed a small bit of mold. i decided to dry it out. so i grabbed a large freezer bag and put the pot in the bag and left it open in the sun. yesterday morn i saw condensate on the inside of the bag. i thought i should have it on a cookie sheet. so i grabbed the bag, put my nose in and smelled this cat piss, high ammonia grrossness. before the plastic bag and sunlight there was no unusual smell. ive been smoking pot for 50 years and never smelled that before. The bud on the plant is the densest ive ever seen. nice, mild smoking though. lucky for me i have another nevilles haze under 600 watts of leds. 5 more weeks for her. got 2 ssh plants coming due end of next week. the high density means a couple three or so more extra days drying. this last grow is going to produce roughly half of what i get using 2 600 halide/hps lights. so 2/1 ratio. winters coming so back to halide/hps. hope you get this

I dried it on netting for 6-7 days then put in quart jars, burping once or twice a week. i brought the jar out a couple of days ago and noticed a small bit of mold.
Scary when we open a jar and see a bit of mold or notice that off-smell like something going bad or ammonia. I have had that experience a couple of times on buds sitting in jars for a couple of years. Then one day I check and something has gone wrong.

Just about every recommendation I have read on 'burping' the harvest calls for opening the jar once a day, sometimes twice a day, for the first couple of weeks. Then if it is going well the burping can be reduced to every couple of of days for a week or so.

There is a lot of moisture left in the sticks and stem pieces. Letting these stems slowly release their moisture into the buds and then being 'burped' once a day is what helps with the cure.

Now all this reminds me that I have several 1/2 gallon jars sitting in the closet and I should open them up for a couple of hours.

Dam plastic bag was the problem. im pretty sure my science lesson wouldnt have occurred had i put it straight on the tray. there was no smell. live and learn. ammonia dissolves with water right. im wondering, if i make bubble hash with water and ice then shouldnt the residual pot (all dense bud) be ok to smoke. stay tuned i guess.

Back
Top Bottom