Amonia smell from harvested bud

Root aphids caused me more grief, so much that I let a bunch of ladybugs loose in my shed (as that worked on my outside ladies real well so thought I'd try it), only drawback was they kept piggybacking into the house on my clothes and pissing off the old lady (and I don't need any help being in the doghouse with her ;) as I do quite well on my own ty :rofl: :rofl: )
:rofl: :rofl: you have one of those too? I bought my fiancee a purse and new boots because I knew I was going to the doghouse when she found out what I spent on a new light.

Hopefully you can find someone that understands your situation and concerns and can help you out better than you have had happening. Totally understand the disability thing, albeit from the other side of things as I'm my Wife's Caregiver so growing almost more of a Hobby for me even though I do smoke a little, as I'm stuck at home pretty much 23/7 and only get out to go do my running around town getting what we need or to take her to Dr. appointments. Hoping you find something that helps solve that for you :Namaste: :peace:
Thanks. I'm sorry to hear your situation. I can medicate with pills but would rather not. I hope that changes here soon for our state.

Yes I also read that. I also am not ready to buy into that either. A musty hay smell, if you have ever smelled rotten hay or overly wet hay that they have to turn every day. I get hay smell from cannabis that isnt dried and cured properly. Again I've been smoking 40 years and have only run into this smell within the last few months. When I began to research it there seems to be several cases of this going on in different areas of the country. There has to be a reason for this. A new nute on the market? People spraying the plant with who knows what to make it weigh heavier? I wish someone with an educational side to this would research it and come up with a solid answer. Hate to throw out bud due to the fact you cant trust growers and refuse to smoke weed that smells like amonia. But that was my first thought, the dry cure, to be honest, but when you smoke for as long as I have and just start to get that smell in just the last few months from different strains...not right
You dont have to buy into it but weed that has been placed into a sealed container while still too wet will give an ammonia smell and weed that has been over dried before going into a sealed container will smell like hay.

Thanks to all for participating in this discussion. My conclusion is there are many theories but no based facts. Why it is a trending problem in different areas with different strains is a mystery and until someone with the technology and the ability to research it in a lab can come to an actual conclusion instead of a hypothesis, I personally will have to make due and Hope's it's just nothing but the plant itself not being taken care of properly. What exactly has changed in the last little while is perplexing to me. With as much cannabis as I've consumed in my life and just coming across that smell for the first time, you wont forget it if you experience it, is concerning. Good vibes and highs to all.✌

You dont have to buy into it but weed that has been placed into a sealed container while still too wet will give an ammonia smell and weed that has been over dried before going into a sealed container will smell like hay.
And after 40 years of smoking, I thank you for the lesson you just taught me. Lol...really, and no I dont have to buy into it.

What exactly has changed in the last little while is perplexing to me. With as much cannabis as I've consumed in my life and just coming across that smell for the first time, you wont forget it if you experience it, is concerning. Good vibes and highs to all.✌

Could just simply be that so many new folks trying to jump on the "bandwagon" and the "it's just a plant don't need to know anything special" attitude, whereas in the old days it was mostly either experienced folks growing or folks someone had taken them on as an apprentice so to speak and they learned the ropes there before they started growing too. Or a combination of that and the other variables ;) as didn't have all the fancy bottled crapola with the pretty labels and "gods gift to growing", and simply used manure from various animals for your nutrients along with bonemeal and other things, and very few folks back then did the hydroponic or hydroponic type mediums that have no nutritional value by themselves unlike soil/dirt. Personally I'm going with the too many folks that are totally clueless and don't listen to folks that are "old and don't know what they talking about" ;) :rofl: :rofl: ....oops that's me ;)........ The old "lets build a better mouse trap" crapola, I got one of them new electric shock ones collecting dust that don't do crap and would have been better off just using the old fashioned pinch my fingers ones ;)

Could just simply be that so many new folks trying to jump on the "bandwagon" and the "it's just a plant don't need to know anything special" attitude, whereas in the old days it was mostly either experienced folks growing or folks someone had taken them on as an apprentice so to speak and they learned the ropes there before they started growing too. Or a combination of that and the other variables ;) as didn't have all the fancy bottled crapola with the pretty labels and "gods gift to growing", and simply used manure from various animals for your nutrients along with bonemeal and other things, and very few folks back then did the hydroponic or hydroponic type mediums that have no nutritional value by themselves unlike soil/dirt. Personally I'm going with the too many folks that are totally clueless and don't listen to folks that are "old and don't know what they talking about" ;) :rofl: :rofl: ....oops that's me ;)........ The old "lets build a better mouse trap" crapola, I got one of them new electric shock ones collecting dust that don't do crap and would have been better off just using the old fashioned pinch my fingers ones ;)
Lol...finally someone who said what I've been saying for a while now. Too many people putting their fingers in the soup till it has to be thrown out.
Or like taste buds do, your sense of smell can change as we get older.
Lol...well when I cant tell the difference between cat piss and Maui Waui (meowy wowwie will be it's new name) I'll be pushing daisies.

Lol...finally someone who said what I've been saying for a while now. Too many people putting their fingers in the soup till it has to be thrown out.

The old "bigger is better" mentality as folks want to grow plants like the ones they see on the internet (back in the old days before the internet most folks had never seen what it actually looks like on a plant/in plant form, other than on the news seeing the police burn a pile of brush). Personally I'd rather have a couple zips of decent/killer stuff than 8 zips of stuff that tastes or smells like crap and gives me a headache ;) I'm just weird like that I guess ;) :rofl: . My quantity is increasing as I learn (and got better lights, etc...) as started with 1/2 oz per plant and now can get 2-3 oz off a plant when all things go right. And everyone I have gave some to thought it was really good, but I'm growing for myself and not in a big hurry to push out finished product, unlike the folks that the major motivation is of a "financial" nature and folks trying to cut corners and all that.

NEW: Dont ever google "cannabis with ammonia smell" it will only lead to confusion.
After thinking about what I researched, nothing was making much sense. So I googled why would my garden plants smell like ammonia...first....
Ammonia smell in gardens is a common problem for the home composter. The odor is the result of inefficient breakdown of organic compounds. 2nd...
Ammonia smell in gardens and compost heaps is an indicator of inadequate oxygen for microbial activity. Organic compounds cannot compost without adequate oxygen, but the fix is a simple one by introducing more oxygen to the soil. - USDA
So... I read and read some more. It seems that this is an old issue with non cannabis growing gardeners and farmers. Using too many nutes and not caring for the soil in a manner that allows enough oxygen to allow those nutes to work properly is the root of the problem. I have way too much time on my hands lol. Peace and high vibes, I officially call my case closed. Yet I would dare say probably not for some, lol.:passitleft::peace::green_heart:;)

I have done extensive googling and as much research as I can find on why weed would smell like amonia....not human piss or sweat...AMMONIA (IMAGINE 15 CATS LOCKED IN YOUR CLOSET AND THEM SPRAYING EVERYWHERE FOR A GOOD WEEK...) Living in an area where I dont get a choice or any testing done just getting it from a guy. For the last 2 or 3 months the cannabis, no matter which strain or how moist or dry it is, on a 50/50 basis smells like amonia. Some faint some very strong. In 40 years of toking I have NEVER smelt an aroma like that coming from cannabis. There are a ton of people asking the same thing all over the internet. Most cry mold, however, I have black lighted and magnified and ZERO MOLD unless it is invisible, which could be but doubtful on a cannabis plant. You can imagine trying to toke on bud that smells like cat piss? Yes I know there is a strain called cat piss and some other very undesirable strains as far as smell goes, and this comes from a person who thinks they should make a skunk bud air freshener. Does anybody really have a clue to this. People say mold I say bullshit. If anyone can give a logical explanation in layman terms please do. Growers are fucking up everything thinking they need to cross 1000 times and putting shit in and on the plants to make them look better and endangering the health of the consumers. More and more this amonia thing is coming up. Why isnt there a str8 answer to it?
dude I bought my last bag that smells like ammonia last July . I was done! Every bag I got from my dealer smelled like piss..... I grow my own shit now and problem solved. The bud is being cut and not hung to dry. Then packed tightly and then Sent to a trap house or whatever the call it. Today 2019, black market cannabis is more abundant than legal I’m betting
My thoughts

Quick internet search brought up quite a bit for:

cannabis ammonia smell

Most of what I glanced thru blamed improperly dried and cured flowers, too wet still when started the curing process (or if not your stuff may not have been cured at all).
If it smells like cat piss it’s N/G that’s mold u smell. Sorry mate

Maybe the grower is using a PGR of some sort? Seems to be "all the rage" with the idiots out there. It's been known to make plants smell like piss, and you for sure don't want to smoke that shit either.

If it smells like cat piss it’s N/G that’s mold u smell. Sorry mate
Yes so the ongoing debate keeps on going. Nitrogen is thrown around a lot, soil doesnt have enough oxygen to allow the microorganisms do their thing. No mold smells like cat piss. Sorry dude. Maybe an old gym sock, but not cat piss lol. Good luck with identifying moldy weed by smell. Last reply.

Hay if cat piss is what u like ( mold) smoke your lungs out, enjoy. I prefer my weed to smell like weed
Not a litter box.How is it all the others that commented on this thread said that they smell cat piss in their pot as well ? This happened to me once I didn't burp the mason jars as often as I should’ve.
Thru out a good 4 zips of weed gone Sour on me.

Hay if cat piss is what u like ( mold) smoke your lungs out, enjoy. I prefer my weed to smell like weed
Not a litter box.How is it all the others that commented on this thread said that they smell cat piss in their pot as well ? This happened to me once I didn't burp the mason jars as often as I should’ve.
Thru out a good 4 zips of weed gone Sour on me.
Brother, you are lost somewhere. You either didnt read the op ...or your ... OP ... no one ON HERE...wants to smoke anything that smells like cat piss, even though there is a very legit strain called cat piss. I challenge you to find ANY mold that smells like cat piss...you won't cause mold does not smell like cat piss. Your here to start an argument and I'm here to end it. Ended...see how easy that was?

No argument, a difference of opinions is all. Experience has taught me well no to argue with
Someone who is dead set on smoking it anyway. Foolish and a waist of my time to comment.

Nodifferent answers. There are a lot of paranoid people saying its moldy if it smells like cat piss. I certainly won't smoke anything that doesnt smell like weed. I've smoked for 40 years, I think I know just a little bit of how weed is supposed to smell lol. If it smells like cat piss is it mold? You can keep on saying yes until your blue in the face and I will sit back with a smile on my face while you throw out zips and zips and more zips and I STILL won't smoke anything that smells like cat piss even though it isnt mold. Good luck and call a home disaster clean up company and ask them about mold and the smell of cat piss, you've got issues brother.
No argument, a difference of opinions is all. Experience has taught me well no to argue with
Someone who is dead set on smoking it anyway. Foolish and a waist of my time to comment.
I'm the one who opened this thread. I am the one bringing up the issue. Google cat piss smell in cannabis then google cat piss smell in garden plants...way different answers. There are a lot of paranoid people saying its moldy if it smells like cat piss. I certainly won't smoke anything that doesnt smell like weed. I've smoked for 40 years, I think I know just a little bit of how weed is supposed to smell lol. If it smells like cat piss is it mold? You can keep on saying yes until your blue in the face and I will sit back with a smile on my face while you throw out zips and zips and more zips and I STILL won't smoke anything that smells like cat piss even though it isnt mold. Good luck and call a home disaster clean up company and ask them about mold and the smell of cat piss, you've got issues brother.

Back
Top Bottom