Amonia smell from harvested bud

why do you think the mold has to be on the surface? or glow in black light?
how can anyone but you have scientific data on your weed?
you have to do the science and report back to us... or send your weed to like a lab or something?
i dont know how youd do it, im not a scientist unfortunatly :(
Again, something I addressed, I dont have the pleasure of just taking weed to a lab to get it tested, so do hundreds of others out there asking the same thing lol, not sure how else you would find signs of mold is black light or magnification is there another way without taking a bud to a lab to test for mold? I would do it. In a heartbeat if I lived in an area where that was accessible. So no need to reply, I get your take on it.

I don’t have scientific data, to back up any of my claims..unlikely anyone here will..just experience and common sense. I haven’t heard of this problem yet but it’s definitely interesting if it is indeed happening all over the country. With that being said if it is multiple strains coming from the same guy, I’d wager it’s something he’s doing wrong. Doubtful it’s a nutrient unless he’s home brewing some funky nutrients or something... could be a crazy cat lady that grows those plants and lets her felines run rampant in the grow room lol... but it’s probably mold. Going to be tough to get “scientific data” off a forum when no one can touch, see, or smell the buds your talking about...
Yes if you google it people from all over complaining of it. And I'm curious of why you think no one could figure it out really. It's not just me having this experience in the world. It's hard bringing up issues that no one has concrete evidence about, it all turns into nonsense and I only wanted to know if an expert here had an answer...its cool if it's not a question that can be answered. I thought it curious and REALLY thought someone actually had a viable answer.

Ask the dude your giving your money to why his shit sucks? That's your best bet. Only the grower will know what he's put on those plants. But if you've had several strains from the same place with same shit result, he's doing something wrong. Obviously something is wrong, sticking to the "black light didn't show anything" is silly. You've never encountered this smell in 40 years it's not normal, you know that.

My guesses are poor drying/curing practices or a foliar spray that was never washed off. Either way bad news, stop giving him your money, your only encouraging him to continue, who knows how many less observant consumers his greed will hurt.

I would be absolutely up in arms with the supplier for an answer, it's too easy to produce good quality weed, and not worth getting hurt over subpar possibly dangerous stuff.
Thank you...I did do just that. He talked to his feller across the way and he is clueless apparently. However, researching it, it isnt just this grower. And yes I'm frustrated not being able to just go to a mmd and do my thing. This is why I wanted to become self reliant on doing my own micro grows ;) I wouldnt even do that if I wasn't pretty much homebound and could travel to a reputable dispensary "( thx again TurboBucket.

lol i think I know what it is now XD

Yes if you google it people from all over complaining of it. And I'm curious of why you think no one could figure it out really. It's not just me having this experience in the world. It's hard bringing up issues that no one has concrete evidence about, it all turns into nonsense and I only wanted to know if an expert here had an answer...its cool if it's not a question that can be answered. I thought it curious and REALLY thought someone actually had a viable answer.
I think it’s already been figured out. Lol.. it’s a very obvious answer to me as I’ve seen exactly what your describing first hand in my own dry and cure jars...I never said no one could figure this out. Lol... what I said was your going to have a hard time getting an answer that scientifically explains your dilemma.. because you are...again no one can see, touch, or smell those buds...how are you going to get an answer backed by scientific data with no studies, little information, or scientists for that matter... what might smell like “Cat piss” to you could easily smell like something else to the next person..so what your reading online and assuming the situations are the same as yours is a bit of a stretch.... I think you’ve gotten some solid answers, the general consensus seems to be mold and I agree. Hopefully you can get the answer your looking for my man... and im just throwing this out there, your buddy that you bought it from... he’s making money... I don’t know one single person, on the black market, I could confront about the product they provided me with being superiorly inferior as well as being moldy and possibly putting YOUR HEALTH at risk.... ya that dudes gonna jump up and down and tell you that the weed he gave you was bad... cmon man use your head, he’s a dealer providing bad product, you really expect him to be honest about his grow?

While it may be mold in some cases I think it's just the strains alone that give off the smell. My plant is mold free and a few days away from harvest. Smells strongest right when lights kick off ( I don't run filters )

While it may be mold in some cases I think it's just the strains alone that give off the smell. My plant is mold free and a few days away from harvest. Smells strongest right when lights kick off ( I don't run filters )
Ya but we’re talking different strains smelling of the same “cat piss” or ammonia. Obviously there are strains that smell funky... but multiple strains from the same dealer... it’s something he’s doing that’s causing it. Whether it’s mold or whatever, that’s just what common sense is screaming right now.

Ya but we’re talking different strains smelling of the same “cat piss” or ammonia. Obviously there are strains that smell funky... but multiple strains from the same dealer... it’s something he’s doing that’s causing it. Whether it’s mold or whatever, that’s just what common sense is screaming right now.
Yea I didn't get through the entire thread yet. If it's multiples from the same person I wouldn't go back to that person. One here and there is one thing..... In my picture is my widow #1 clone. Mom smelt like piss . Widow #2 had a different look , taste and so on but didn't smell anything like #1
received_561947604377013.jpeg

Yea I didn't get through the entire thread yet. If it's multiples from the same person I wouldn't go back to that person. One here and there is one thing..... In my picture is my widow #1 clone. Mom smelt like piss . Widow #2 had a different look , taste and so on but didn't smell anything like #1
received_561947604377013.jpeg
Forsure, I would stay far away from this persons product, I would rather stay sober then risk smoking mold.

Yes I also read that. I also am not ready to buy into that either. A musty hay smell, if you have ever smelled rotten hay or overly wet hay that they have to turn every day. I get hay smell from cannabis that isnt dried and cured properly. Again I've been smoking 40 years and have only run into this smell within the last few months. When I began to research it there seems to be several cases of this going on in different areas of the country. There has to be a reason for this. A new nute on the market? People spraying the plant with who knows what to make it weigh heavier? I wish someone with an educational side to this would research it and come up with a solid answer. Hate to throw out bud due to the fact you cant trust growers and refuse to smoke weed that smells like amonia. But that was my first thought, the dry cure, to be honest, but when you smoke for as long as I have and just start to get that smell in just the last few months from different strains...not right

I know what you mean, I don't have the science just what I was reading looking into it as I have never had that problem and some folks have had that problem here before. The ammonia smell comes from the chlorophyll breaking down and turning to a gas, and if not dried properly and thrown into cure while wet it loses the ability to release it and it sticks to the bud and stays there, again that just what I read and also read some that folks were saying due to too much N being fed or bug control chemicals etc.. etc....Could be any or all of those, as 1. Too many folks think "bigger is better" and feed their plants too much nutrients as the old "if a little is good then a whole crapload is even better" mentality or money is their biggest motivator so "more end product is better and who cares". 2. Difference between folks that are a "craft grower" and folks just out to make a buck, with the later wanting to turn it over fast as possible (and/or too paranoid to sit on it very long) and don't have time for drying right and curing correctly. 3. "I can't lose my money due to bugs so I will use whatever chemical I can, and who cares what it does to folks" mentality. And probably various other reasons. It may very well be that any of those things can cause it as there is so many variables to it and many "issues" will mimic other issues or have the same issue due to totally different things.

I live in a Legal State and the price has crashed here due to the glut of product (can find B grade stuff for $120 a zip pretty easy and some not trimmed well or smalls stuff for much less than that down to like $60 a zip) and that is B grade for Oregon which is probably a bit higher than many other places "B grade flower", as more "artist/craft growers" here. But I prefer my own as I know exactly what is or isn't in it even though my electricity increase probably slightly more than what I could buy it for (but I don't smoke like I did in my youth so I don't go thru it fast), so one of the many reasons to do grow your own if it is at all possible. But if it is a concern for you then I would check it out before you buy it, and not buy any that doesn't meet your standards, as that will cause them to change their ways faster than if you just put up with it. 40 years ago we would smoke whatever we could get as there wasn't many options dry time of year, albeit everywhere different but I bet even in not so legal places there is still more available that one can be more "picky" than we could back then as it was that or nothing at all, and we didn't expect to live this long and weren't too concerned about what we was putting in our body (and now wish we had treated our body a bit better, but hindsight and all that ;) :rofl: ).

I know what you mean, I don't have the science just what I was reading looking into it as I have never had that problem and some folks have had that problem here before. The ammonia smell comes from the chlorophyll breaking down and turning to a gas, and if not dried properly and thrown into cure while wet it loses the ability to release it and it sticks to the bud and stays there, again that just what I read and also read some that folks were saying due to too much N being fed or bug control chemicals etc.. etc....Could be any or all of those, as 1. Too many folks think "bigger is better" and feed their plants too much nutrients as the old "if a little is good then a whole crapload is even better" mentality or money is their biggest motivator so "more end product is better and who cares". 2. Difference between folks that are a "craft grower" and out to make a buck, with the later wanting to turn it over fast as possible (and/or too paranoid to sit on it very long) and don't have time for drying right and curing correctly. 3. "I can't lose my money due to bugs so I will use whatever chemical I can, and who cares what it does to folks" mentality. And probably various other reasons. It may very well be that any of those things can cause it as there is so many variables to it and many "issues" will mimic other issues or have the same issue due to totally different things.

I live in a Legal State and the price has crashed here due to the glut of product (can find B grade stuff for $120 a zip pretty easy and some not trimmed well or smalls stuff for much less than that down to like $60 a zip) and that is B grade for Oregon which is probably a bit higher than many other places "B grade flower", as more "artist/craft growers" here. But I prefer my own as I know exactly what is or isn't in it even though my electricity increase probably slightly more than what I could buy it for (but I don't smoke like I did in my youth so I don't go thru it fast), so one of the many reasons to do grow your own if it is at all possible. But if it is a concern for you then I would check it out before you buy it, and not buy any that doesn't meet your standards, as that will cause them to change their ways faster than if you just put up with it. 40 years ago we would smoke whatever we could get as there wasn't many options dry time of year, albeit everywhere different but I bet even in not so legal places there is still more available that one can be more "picky" than we could back then as it was that or nothing at all, and we didn't expect to live this long and weren't too concerned about what we was putting in our body (and now wish we had treated out body a bit better, but hindsight and all that ;) :rofl: ).
The widow I have curing has lost the smell after time drying and curing. I noticed the smell going away at about the 3rd day of hanging. I'm had them in mason jars now a few weeks and can't even smell it any more. It seems like it's while it's on the plant. The plant was fed using the Fox Farm trio perfectly. When it was in veg I did use mosquito dunks in the water jugs dealing with fungus gnats for about a week.

The widow I have curing has lost the smell after time drying and curing. I noticed the smell going away at about the 3rd day of hanging. I'm had them in mason jars now a few weeks and can't even smell it any more. It seems like it's while it's on the plant. The plant was fed using the Fox Farm trio perfectly. When it was in veg I did use mosquito dunks in the water jugs dealing with fungus gnats for about a week.

Fungus Gnats more of a PITA than anything, as they don't damage the plant anywhere near to mites or thrips, albeit they stick to the buds, but personally I would rather smoke a few bugs than chemicals ;) :rofl: but a "too each their own". As stuff safe for food not always the same, as stuff you ingest gets filtered various places before it hits your blood stream unlike smoking something and that hits bloodstream "NOW" and gets filtered later.

I know what you mean, I don't have the science just what I was reading looking into it as I have never had that problem and some folks have had that problem here before. The ammonia smell comes from the chlorophyll breaking down and turning to a gas, and if not dried properly and thrown into cure while wet it loses the ability to release it and it sticks to the bud and stays there, again that just what I read and also read some that folks were saying due to too much N being fed or bug control chemicals etc.. etc....Could be any or all of those, as 1. Too many folks think "bigger is better" and feed their plants too much nutrients as the old "if a little is good then a whole crapload is even better" mentality or money is their biggest motivator so "more end product is better and who cares". 2. Difference between folks that are a "craft grower" and out to make a buck, with the later wanting to turn it over fast as possible (and/or too paranoid to sit on it very long) and don't have time for drying right and curing correctly. 3. "I can't lose my money due to bugs so I will use whatever chemical I can, and who cares what it does to folks" mentality. And probably various other reasons. It may very well be that any of those things can cause it as there is so many variables to it and many "issues" will mimic other issues or have the same issue due to totally different things.

I live in a Legal State and the price has crashed here due to the glut of product (can find B grade stuff for $120 a zip pretty easy and some not trimmed well or smalls stuff for much less than that down to like $60 a zip) and that is B grade for Oregon which is probably a bit higher than many other places "B grade flower", as more "artist/craft growers" here. But I prefer my own as I know exactly what is or isn't in it even though my electricity increase probably slightly more than what I could buy it for (but I don't smoke like I did in my youth so I don't go thru it fast), so one of the many reasons to do grow your own if it is at all possible. But if it is a concern for you then I would check it out before you buy it, and not buy any that doesn't meet your standards, as that will cause them to change their ways faster than if you just put up with it. 40 years ago we would smoke whatever we could get as there wasn't many options dry time of year, albeit everywhere different but I bet even in not so legal places there is still more available that one can be more "picky" than we could back then as it was that or nothing at all, and we didn't expect to live this long and weren't too concerned about what we was putting in our body (and now wish we had treated out body a bit better, but hindsight and all that ;) :rofl: ).
Yes when I can get out of my house for a couple of days, not often due to disability, I travel to Oregon for my needs. Very nice to be able to do that on occasion though. I'll try my hand at my skunk micro grow, that's starting to be my last option really. I have a hard time with just getting what I can get from people who have good intentions but are strictly rec smokers and really dont care what it is...the way it is unfortunately.

Yes when I can get out of my house for a couple of days, not often due to disability, I travel to Oregon for my needs. Very nice to be able to do that on occasion though. I'll try my hand at my skunk micro grow, that's starting to be my last option really. I have a hard time with just getting what I can get from people who have good intentions but are strictly rec smokers and really dont care what it is...the way it is unfortunately.

Hopefully you can find someone that understands your situation and concerns and can help you out better than you have had happening. Totally understand the disability thing, albeit from the other side of things as I'm my Wife's Caregiver so growing almost more of a Hobby for me even though I do smoke a little, as I'm stuck at home pretty much 23/7 and only get out to go do my running around town getting what we need or to take her to Dr. appointments. Hoping you find something that helps solve that for you :Namaste: :peace:

Fungus Gnats more of a PITA than anything, as they don't damage the plant anywhere near to mites or thrips, albeit they stick to the buds, but personally I would rather smoke a few bugs than chemicals ;) :rofl: but a "too each their own". As stuff safe for food not always the same, as stuff you ingest gets filtered various places before it hits your blood stream unlike smoking something and that hits bloodstream "NOW" and gets filtered later.
Yea they were a pain. Once I started using the BTI and hanged yellow sticky traps the problem corrected itself.

Yea they were a pain. Once I started using the BTI and hanged yellow sticky traps the problem corrected itself.

Root aphids caused me more grief, so much that I let a bunch of ladybugs loose in my shed (as that worked on my outside ladies real well so thought I'd try it), only drawback was they kept piggybacking into the house on my clothes and pissing off the old lady (and I don't need any help being in the doghouse with her ;) as I do quite well on my own ty :rofl: :rofl: )

Back
Top Bottom