Amonia smell from harvested bud

Runway420

I have done extensive googling and as much research as I can find on why weed would smell like amonia....not human piss or sweat...AMMONIA (IMAGINE 15 CATS LOCKED IN YOUR CLOSET AND THEM SPRAYING EVERYWHERE FOR A GOOD WEEK...) Living in an area where I dont get a choice or any testing done just getting it from a guy. For the last 2 or 3 months the cannabis, no matter which strain or how moist or dry it is, on a 50/50 basis smells like amonia. Some faint some very strong. In 40 years of toking I have NEVER smelt an aroma like that coming from cannabis. There are a ton of people asking the same thing all over the internet. Most cry mold, however, I have black lighted and magnified and ZERO MOLD unless it is invisible, which could be but doubtful on a cannabis plant. You can imagine trying to toke on bud that smells like cat piss? Yes I know there is a strain called cat piss and some other very undesirable strains as far as smell goes, and this comes from a person who thinks they should make a skunk bud air freshener. Does anybody really have a clue to this. People say mold I say bullshit. If anyone can give a logical explanation in layman terms please do. Growers are fucking up everything thinking they need to cross 1000 times and putting shit in and on the plants to make them look better and endangering the health of the consumers. More and more this amonia thing is coming up. Why isnt there a str8 answer to it?

some weed smells like cat piss, its a thing.

but probably mold

Last harvest smelled so bad wife was looking for where the cat sprayed in house. After curring smells like candy these are very strange plants for smell.

I solved my "whats in my pot that I don't know of" problem this January when my first bean popped through some soil in a little cup. Prior to that I only got weed from the black market, which I feel to be much more trustworthy than any kind of commercial operation. I'm a worker bee, I've seen what shady goes on in industry from the top dog down to the grunt on the bottom. No, I won't partake in corpoweed thank you.

Funny only kinda related story...I built a pot condo in my basement and didn't realize it was next to the wall my son has his cat's litter box on....for weeks I couldn't figure out why the hell my weed was stinking like cat piss...till I dared enter his cave and noticed the box...OMG dang 21 yr olds living in the basement...CHANGE THAT THING!

I have done extensive googling and as much research as I can find on why weed would smell like amonia....not human piss or sweat...AMMONIA (IMAGINE 15 CATS LOCKED IN YOUR CLOSET AND THEM SPRAYING EVERYWHERE FOR A GOOD WEEK...) Living in an area where I dont get a choice or any testing done just getting it from a guy. For the last 2 or 3 months the cannabis, no matter which strain or how moist or dry it is, on a 50/50 basis smells like amonia. Some faint some very strong. In 40 years of toking I have NEVER smelt an aroma like that coming from cannabis. There are a ton of people asking the same thing all over the internet. Most cry mold, however, I have black lighted and magnified and ZERO MOLD unless it is invisible, which could be but doubtful on a cannabis plant. You can imagine trying to toke on bud that smells like cat piss? Yes I know there is a strain called cat piss and some other very undesirable strains as far as smell goes, and this comes from a person who thinks they should make a skunk bud air freshener. Does anybody really have a clue to this. People say mold I say bullshit. If anyone can give a logical explanation in layman terms please do. Growers are fucking up everything thinking they need to cross 1000 times and putting shit in and on the plants to make them look better and endangering the health of the consumers. More and more this amonia thing is coming up. Why isnt there a str8 answer to it?
maybe the are spraying it with windex like crack heads from la

Quick internet search brought up quite a bit for:

cannabis ammonia smell

Most of what I glanced thru blamed improperly dried and cured flowers, too wet still when started the curing process (or if not your stuff may not have been cured at all).

Ya without seeing the nugs for myself and inspecting them it’s hard to say, I will say however, one of my first grows I tripped up on the dry and cure and my god did it have a horrible ammonia odor.. couple days later the mold arrived.... I’m not too sure, just thought I’d add my 2 pennies, I wish I could help you out. I would try to find a different source if possible bro.

I'm a worker bee, I've seen what shady goes on in industry from the top dog down to the grunt on the bottom. No, I won't partake in corpoweed thank you.
ya everyone is like that here too or getting that way... but their reasons are more racist

old haze pheno, was everywhere in the early 00s

Quick internet search brought up quite a bit for:

cannabis ammonia smell

Most of what I glanced thru blamed improperly dried and cured flowers, too wet still when started the curing process (or if not your stuff may not have been cured at all).
Yes I also read that. I also am not ready to buy into that either. A musty hay smell, if you have ever smelled rotten hay or overly wet hay that they have to turn every day. I get hay smell from cannabis that isnt dried and cured properly. Again I've been smoking 40 years and have only run into this smell within the last few months. When I began to research it there seems to be several cases of this going on in different areas of the country. There has to be a reason for this. A new nute on the market? People spraying the plant with who knows what to make it weigh heavier? I wish someone with an educational side to this would research it and come up with a solid answer. Hate to throw out bud due to the fact you cant trust growers and refuse to smoke weed that smells like amonia. But that was my first thought, the dry cure, to be honest, but when you smoke for as long as I have and just start to get that smell in just the last few months from different strains...not right

Ya without seeing the nugs for myself and inspecting them it’s hard to say, I will say however, one of my first grows I tripped up on the dry and cure and my god did it have a horrible ammonia odor.. couple days later the mold arrived.... I’m not too sure, just thought I’d add my 2 pennies, I wish I could help you out. I would try to find a different source if possible bro.
No I get it. Thanks tho just some crazy shit I never had to deal with...ever

some weed smells like cat piss, its a thing.

but probably mold
Yes as I stated in the original post....but when there is no mold on any of the flower I have inspected, unless its invisible to black light and magnification, it becomes a concern. If there is no one with scientific data to prove the cause of this odd smell cool with me. If someone has some tangible evidence for this foul smell they should enlighten us imo.

No I get it. Thanks tho just some crazy shit I never had to deal with...ever
And you shouldn’t have to honestly, a selection of good quality herb should be accessible to everyone. Sorry to hear about that, it’s some BS forsure.

Yes as I stated in the original post....but when there is no mold on any of the flower I have inspected, unless its invisible to black light and magnification, it becomes a concern. If there is no one with scientific data to prove the cause of this odd smell cool with me. If someone has some tangible evidence for this foul smell they should enlighten us imo.
why do you think the mold has to be on the surface? or glow in black light?
how can anyone but you have scientific data on your weed?
you have to do the science and report back to us... or send your weed to like a lab or something?
i dont know how youd do it, im not a scientist unfortunatly :(

If it smells like actual ammonia then it's starting to mold.
Ok that's what several people say, I dont disagree, but as I have asked or said several times in this thread, there is no mold present unless it's invisible spores invading the plant. Is there actually someone who has researched and concluded that it is invisible mold? Smoking mold isnt very smart, but this is a trending issue with the smell, so toss all your bud that is not a cat piss lineage?

Last harvest smelled so bad wife was looking for where the cat sprayed in house. After curring smells like candy these are very strange plants for smell.
Thank you for responding. This is where the confusion may be taking place. Guys just cutting and not curing. But ammonia...strange indeed lol. Let's all just get stoned and be happy lol. Just dont want to be getting myself sick...main point. Thanks again

Yes I also read that. I also am not ready to buy into that either. A musty hay smell, if you have ever smelled rotten hay or overly wet hay that they have to turn every day. I get hay smell from cannabis that isnt dried and cured properly. Again I've been smoking 40 years and have only run into this smell within the last few months. When I began to research it there seems to be several cases of this going on in different areas of the country. There has to be a reason for this. A new nute on the market? People spraying the plant with who knows what to make it weigh heavier? I wish someone with an educational side to this would research it and come up with a solid answer. Hate to throw out bud due to the fact you cant trust growers and refuse to smoke weed that smells like amonia. But that was my first thought, the dry cure, to be honest, but when you smoke for as long as I have and just start to get that smell in just the last few months from different strains...not right

Ask the dude your giving your money to why his shit sucks? That's your best bet. Only the grower will know what he's put on those plants. But if you've had several strains from the same place with same shit result, he's doing something wrong. Obviously something is wrong, sticking to the "black light didn't show anything" is silly. You've never encountered this smell in 40 years it's not normal, you know that.

My guesses are poor drying/curing practices or a foliar spray that was never washed off. Either way bad news, stop giving him your money, your only encouraging him to continue, who knows how many less observant consumers his greed will hurt.

I would be absolutely up in arms with the supplier for an answer, it's too easy to produce good quality weed, and not worth getting hurt over subpar possibly dangerous stuff.

I don’t have scientific data, to back up any of my claims..unlikely anyone here will..just experience and common sense. I haven’t heard of this problem yet but it’s definitely interesting if it is indeed happening all over the country. With that being said if it is multiple strains coming from the same guy, I’d wager it’s something he’s doing wrong. Doubtful it’s a nutrient unless he’s home brewing some funky nutrients or something... could be a crazy cat lady that grows those plants and lets her felines run rampant in the grow room lol... but it’s probably mold. Going to be tough to get “scientific data” off a forum when no one can touch, see, or smell the buds your talking about...

Back
Top Bottom