Any Thoughts on Letting the Frost Kill the Plant before Harvest?

HeartWW

I have a set of Twins growing out in the back 40. They are just starting to bud due to the 12, 12 daylight length. They have endured a couple mild frosts and I covered them for a couple nasty frosts. Question is, What happens to quality if nature freezes me out. Will the plants be any good? They turn dark brown. Wonder how they would taste? Thanks.

Well. Where these plants are, It will be freezing every night very soon. I wont be able to keep up. I'm just hoping to let them go every hour I can and hope that if the frost gets them, They may still be harvestable. I 'm worried that the frost may freeze the Trich's and ruin the potency. I learned a lesson now that I have the whole grow thing figured out. In the North where I live, You need to grow something that fast flowers or maybe auto flower? 12/12 doesn't come here until now and it's too cold to bud out sativas.

Even if they die off too soon, you would still be able to use the plant to make some edibles.

i am facing same problem myself soon,i am just goin to leave her out till i see first frost and hopefully it will be of reasonable quality

I have been running out and covering up the twins every time it says we will have a freeze. Its been worth it so fas as i see little buds forming. I just covered them up just now and it's going to freeze a few nites in a row. I did take a couple of these little buds and quick dried and smoked. Gets the job done but only lasts a couple hours. Better than nothing I guess. I wonder if I would be better off growing an auto flower instead? I don't see any Sativa type auto flower seeds out there but i may give them a try next year.

I have been sneaking out and covering the plants with thick blankets on nights that it's supposed to freeze. The problem is the photo period started 12/12 only a week ago and my buds are barely buds. I really need another week or so to grow them a bit bigger. The frost will be every night within a week and that will be it. I guess where I live, Outdoor growing is out of the question. Funny thing is the Feral Weed that grows around here is Huge with massive buds. Maybe I'll try an Auto Flower outside next time.

if you look around some of the seed banksgive you a harvest dates for outdoor grows. you could find one that finishes earlier in sept. I think dinafem's original amnesia auto is sativa

i was always under the impression that if you leave the plant during frost, it'll simply hibernate. whatever "fruits" it had produced may be lost, but the plant itself will be alive and well next season. it might even start fruiting where it left off though i can't be certain on that. i imagine it'll fruit so long as the light is right which won't last....

i was always under the impression that if you leave the plant during frost, it'll simply hibernate. whatever "fruits" it had produced may be lost, but the plant itself will be alive and well next season. it might even start fruiting where it left off though i can't be certain on that. i imagine it'll fruit so long as the light is right which won't last....

that applies to perrenial plants (year after year) cannabis is an anual plant, meaning its born, grows old and dies in a single year (naturally). its life can be extended by playing with light cycles, but you are basically taking over as god in this scenario

if you look around some of the seed banksgive you a harvest dates for outdoor grows. you could find one that finishes earlier in sept. I think dinafem's original amnesia auto is sativa

Yeah, This outdoor grow was a rookie mistake. ( Never have probs with my indoor grows ) I put out White Widows that need about 10 weeks to finnish off after 12/12. In Northern Mn. 12/12 outdoor starts about the time of the 1st frost. May try an Auto Flower next year. For the Record, I harvested today because it was going to be 21 degrees for 5 hours. That would have killed the twins no matter what. Thanks for all of the replies. ( time to dry and cure and see what I get )

Back
Top Bottom