Anyone out there familiar with this problem besides me? Some sort of dry mold

Ha!!! Indeed.
I know the cause. I'm sure of it.
It's bear slobber. A bear has been sneaking in at night and drooling over the PCs. Dunno why bears like PC so much, but I would normally see it as a sign of good taste.
Seen any cultured bears in your area lately hangin out sipping champagne at the local watering hole?
Sry, but :rofl::laugh::rofl:white ones?

Hmm. Kind of hard to tell the cultured bears from the regular people around here..

The whole point of starting the thread is to figure out some sort of treatment. But I do have some options, including a bunch of those SNS products I could look at. And I do have a little bit of food grade peroxide- have been investigating to see if that might work as a spray.
I think I’ll make some attempt to spray this other PC. Even if I just got it under control long enough to get the thing through flowering that would save a lot of aggravation

geez, friend, quite a problem,, indeed, and spreading?? yikes

just a thot weaseley,, i had a bit o mold on some drying buds i was drying,, ha,, go figure,,

so i tried a few things to see if i could salvage some, for oil or similar,,

so i sprayed it with my isopropyl alcohol mixture, 50\%, and it killed the mold instantly. now i know it did not get the mold inside the bud, just the outer,, but it seemed to work for my purposes

now, my outdoor plant had some powdery mildew on some leaves, and i sprayed the leaves with the iso spray as well,, and it killed the mildew as well

cool thing,, the purple leaves,, anywhere the mildew was on the leaf,, little round patches,, the spray killed the mildew, but the leaf under the mildew converted back to green from purple,, every spot,, too cool

bit warmer weather has my outdoor plant growing new buds again,, a bit longer i guess

wish i could help ya friend,, cheers

Thankfully my home has been quite bear free this year :). And happily free of rats, coons, and falling trees. That still leaves the bat colony and and the neighbours dogs but they’re manageable.
Still suffering a little PTSD from last year.. I still don’t open my front door at night without some part of me expecting to see that giant wall of black fur blocking the way.

well, it could be the straight 50 stuff, but i used the 99% iso and mixed it half and half,, but the bottle of 50% just says it is iso alc and water, so the exact same as the 99proof mixed half and half.

sue said she used the 50\5 straight from the bottle, so, yes, the 50% from the bottle

my second real job ever,, a steam engineer at granduc mines, northern b.c.. i worked in the power plant, not the actual mine,, but one day me and my boss had to go to the end of the mine shaft to check on some exhaust fans,, big suckers indeed

we travelled hours on trains and elevators to get to the very end,, first and only time down a mine shafts,,

anyhoo,, we get to the end and there is the massive fans and stuff , dust,, lots o dust,, and a door, big heavy metal door to the outside world

well i know you are guessing that we opened the door and there was a big black fur monster right there,,

nope

but there was a wolverine,, five feet from the door, it looked at us and growled,,

i would like to say we watched it wander off happily but we slammed the door shut so fast my head spun

first and only wolverine encounter

cheers

I have a dart .... This is fusarium, a nasty little fungus.

1540077270226.png

Thank you Oldbear. I had come across the subject of fusarium in the past and it didn’t really seem to fit with what I have. Then after you mentioned it, I got back into looking at it tonight, got quite scared for a while, then eventually decided no- my symptoms don’t quite fit. (I hope).

My botanist friend suggested another possibility- verticillium. Looked that up and it also doesn’t really fit.

Both these issues seem to be accompanied by a ground-up progression, stem damage, and possibly a lot of wilting, which I’m not seeing.
I did find the main stem of that pineapple chunk in the compost and sliced in half. It seems healthy enough.

I don’t know... the more I look into the more boogie monsters I unearth. Its a scary and confusing world out there.
I can also see a combination of favtors - weak genetics, neglect, and various environmental problems that could lead to this plant being easy prey for any hungry wandering fungi/parasite.
Besides generally cleaning up my grow and trying to make it all more clean and sterile, a couple possible options;

-spray (I sprayed a couple problem buds tonight with 50% iso)
- start enriching my peat moss ‘soil’ with compost teas and whatnot.
- seed/self-seed the strain and start again, to possibly dodge the issue. Seems iffy.
- buy new seeds of the PC strain.

The hydrogen peroxide is still an option as well. Many common plant mold/fungicide products contain it. I have seen concentrations as high as 47%.
It will kill your pistils but also the problem. It's a contact killer so only the surface area will be "treated". Anything that has already made it's way into the bud or stems will still be present.
How old is the mom plant these clones came from?

Thanks. I do have some strong food grade peroxide around somewhere.

I’ve been running it for a few years now. I think the genetics weren’t that great to begin with. I can’t say for sure that the plant is overall less healthy than it used to be, since it’s always been a pain in the ass, but I tend to think it has gone downhill a bit, and the age may well be part of it.
At this point, having found no quick and easy answer to what this flower-decay issue really is, I’m looking at the big picture more, and also putting more PC seeds on the shopping list.

Thanks. I do have some strong food grade peroxide around somewhere.

I’ve been running it for a few years now. I think the genetics weren’t that great to begin with. I can’t say for sure that the plant is overall less healthy than it used to be, since it’s always been a pain in the ass, but I tend to think it has gone downhill a bit, and the age may well be part of it.
At this point, having found no quick and easy answer to what this flower-decay issue really is, I’m looking at the big picture more, and also putting more PC seeds on the shopping list.
I feel that pest and disease resistance is the first thing to degrade over time with "older" genetics. Do you feel the problem had gotten worse with each successive clone?

Not necessarily this particular problem, no. Though I could be wrong. It has been worse this summer. I thought it may be more prevelant because of the drier conditions. I’ll have to see what the rainy season brings to find out if it sticks around. But overall, plant health in this strain probably has declined. I have a hard time saying for sure though- it’s been a busy year and my grow tends to be a bit helter-skelter these days so that makes it hard to put a finger on specific problems. Given that the PC is the one with the most problems, often the only one in the grow that’s acting up, genetics/vigor would seem to be a big factor.

More from the pet botanist.

In my British gardening books they always recommend putting such plants 'directly into the rubbish tip', which is probably good advice even if a bit hard to follow sometimes. Probably a good idea in this case though, with so many other choices available.
I have quite a few of those kind of plants, the ones that perennially fail to achieve their potential because of some unknown lack of vigour. No change in growing conditions seems to make it overcome whatever is happening with it. Even possible as you mentioned that there is a virus ... a domino effect leading to a bunch of other susceptibilities. It's hard to give up, but I haven't missed the plants like that I have managed to get rid of though, so maybe those old English guys are right.
There's a lot of things to grow...

Later....

I can see why you don't want to get rid of it though!

Ha ha!

What didn’t come through is all the smoke-cloud emoji in between the ‘ha!’ and the other ‘ha!’
I gave him a bag of PC earlier in the year... :)

Hey Celt! Nice to see you around again.

No I did not. And unfortunately that PC plant, which I had been cloning and recloning for over four years, met an accidental death a couple weeks ago. At the time I was making one last ditch effort to self seed it using STS. It seemed like no matter what I did in the last year or more that plant was miserable in late flowering. My best guess is that it had just lost its vigour from too much age and abuse.

I don’t know if the spores of the dry-death problem still exists in my grow. Probably. It mainly only ever hit that one PC plant though.

Back
Top Bottom