Anyone tried the Autopot Air Dome in fabric pots?

Update, I ordered the air domes !

I also ordered 5 gallon fabric pots.

The plan is one pot with air dome/clay pebbles/root control disc and then the ProMix HP.

Another with a 3" air stone in the air dome in lieu of the supplies hoses.

Two other pots with air domes covered with cheese cloth, no pebbles !

And I'm going to enlarge the air pump line holes in the air domes with a hot poker :yahoo:

Well, actually a red hot 3" finishing nail ;)

Comments welcome !

Will start a journal for this in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Update, I ordered the air domes !

I also ordered 5 gallon fabric pots.

The plan is one pot with air dome/clay pebbles/root control disc and then the ProMix HP.

Another with a 3" air stone in the air dome in lieu of the supplies hoses.

Two other pots with air domes covered with cheese cloth, no pebbles !

And I'm going to enlarge the air pump line holes in the air domes with a hot poker :yahoo:

Well, actually a red hot 3" finishing nail ;)

Comments welcome !

Will start a journal for this in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Great idea, looking forward to your journal.

I read somewhere that when using Hydroton clay balls, they should be washed or soaked in a solution with a pH of 6.0. Will you do this?

I've done something similar, but I committed all 4 of mine to the fish tank stones.
AirDome Underneath Tubing.JPG

AirDome With Stone.JPG

My next modification was to try and limit roots getting all tangled up in the dome as the grow matures. I used standard landscape fabric to just cover the AirDomes.

AirDome Fabric Before Weight.JPG

Above: This photo is to give you an idea of how the fabric will fit once the weight of your media is placed into the pot.

AirDome With Tight Fabric.JPG

To avoid the bottom pebble situation I bought their new AirBase. It has a bunch of little legs on the bottom to keep up and out of the water (somewhat). Not the holes all around the base. You fill those with coco, dirt, etc., and those are filled in they act as wicking points.

You can use these AirBases with or without the AirDome. It comes with a spacer plate to cover the center hole.

AirPot Set Up.JPG

AirPot Before Air Dome.JPG

I've done something similar, but I committed all 4 of mine to the fish tank stones.
I ordered one 3" stone similar to yours....

My next modification was to try and limit roots getting all tangled up in the dome as the grow matures. I used standard landscape fabric to just cover the AirDomes.
I plan to use cheesecloth in the two pots without clay pebbles ! For the pebbles pots I'll use a root control disc.

Above: This photo is to give you an idea of how the fabric will fit once the weight of your media is placed into the pot.

To avoid the bottom pebble situation I bought their new AirBase. It has a bunch of little legs on the bottom to keep up and out of the water (somewhat). Not the holes all around the base. You fill those with coco, dirt, etc., and those are filled in they act as wicking points.

You can use these AirBases with or without the AirDome. It comes with a spacer plate to cover the center hole.
I looked at the AirBases and decided not to bother. Seems to me that will work better with a plastic pot without bottom drain holes ?

So, how did your grow go ?

Faster more vigorous growth ?

Did you find you needed to water more frequently ? Might be irrelevant with coco ?

Cheers

I ordered one 3" stone similar to yours....

I plan to use cheesecloth in the two pots without clay pebbles ! For the pebbles pots I'll use a root control disc.

I looked at the AirBases and decided not to bother. Seems to me that will work better with a plastic pot without bottom drain holes ?

So, how did your grow go ?

Faster more vigorous growth ?

Did you find you needed to water more frequently ? Might be irrelevant with coco ?

Cheers

I was very happy with the AutoPots, but I can't judge by last grow.

I decided to do something different and join the Real Growers Grow Dots Challenge.

Everything went sideways from the very beginning (no fault of Grow Dots). I overwatered the seedlings. They stunted the worst I've experienced. Once they finally got going, I decided to "tinker" with the nutrients. I should have left everything to Grow Dots and water with the occasional Recharge.

But, I didn't. I added extra this and that and locked those plants right up. I tried flushing and anything I could think of, but to no avail. The leaves spotted, then yellowed, then curled up then started falling off. I had 3 weeks of flower to go. So, I pushed on. There were plenty of trichomes, but no real buds formed. I ended up harvesting. However, that batch may become edibles or oil.

Anyway, this grow I just started will be my true test of the AutoPots with the AirDome.

My predicted problem is going to having the patience to not turn on the reservoir for the nutrients or the air supply for 2 weeks after putting them in the pots.

I was very happy with the AutoPots, but I can't judge by last grow.

I decided to do something different and join the Real Growers Grow Dots Challenge.

Everything went sideways from the very beginning (no fault of Grow Dots). I overwatered the seedlings. They stunted the worst I've experienced. Once they finally got going, I decided to "tinker" with the nutrients. I should have left everything to Grow Dots and water with the occasional Recharge.

But, I didn't. I added extra this and that and locked those plants right up. I tried flushing and anything I could think of, but to no avail. The leaves spotted, then yellowed, then curled up then started falling off. I had 3 weeks of flower to go. So, I pushed on. There were plenty of trichomes, but no real buds formed. I ended up harvesting after do my assignments at Do My Assignment: Your Timely Online Assistance. However, that batch may become edibles or oil.

Anyway, this grow I just started will be my true test of the AutoPots with the AirDome.

My predicted problem is going to having the patience to not turn on the reservoir for the nutrients or the air supply for 2 weeks after putting them in the pots.
I'm so sorry it didn't work out the way you planned and thank you for sharing your story. You are absolutely right - patience is something we all lack))) I'm still only planning to buy AutoPots with the AirDome and am interested in any experience. I hope your tips will help me to avoid mistakes.

I just sit my fabric pot on top of the rear grille from a pedestal fan.

People in my neighbourhood throw out fans all the time, especially as winter approaches.
A shame, many of them still work, it seems that because they're so cheap, they just buy one every summer or two and throw them out to save space, similarly with heaters, they're always left out for collection at the end of winter.

Looks something like this and I have a cable tie attached to the opposite end of the little handle, so I can lift it with the pot on top when I move it around or inside/outside.

j

312572321_10161191445594617_7833420067559400034_n.jpg

I just sit my fabric pot on top of the rear grille from a pedestal fan.

People in my neighbourhood throw out fans all the time, especially as winter approaches.
A shame, many of them still work, it seems that because they're so cheap, they just buy one every summer or two and throw them out to save space, similarly with heaters, they're always left out for collection at the end of winter.

Looks something like this and I have a cable tie attached to the opposite end of the little handle, so I can lift it with the pot on top when I move it around or inside/outside.
j
Interesting.... not sure how it has anything to do with the current discussion ;)

I spend a couple of bucks for a plant elevator and saucer to catch the run off.....

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom