Suggestion for first time growers

Chuckeye

Greetings,

I suggest starting with a soilless medium with No nutrients in it, drains well, is ph buffered and is relatively inexpensive.

ProMix HP ;) $5/3gal fabric pot...

YOU then control all the food the plant gets !

KISS for food, one dry/powdered ingredient. Plus it has been suggested to add Cal/Mag if under LED lights.

Jacks, Mega Crop, GH MaxiGro/Bloom, etc.

Very simple, measure out grams per litre of water as per their feeding schedules AND your observation of the condition/color of the plant.

THEN if you have a problem there is No need to guess what is missing in your soil mix with worm poop, kelp, banana leaf juice, etc., he, he...

If it is not a watering issue, it is likely to be an under/over feeding. Adjust accordingly.

Watch your temps, par values, relative humidity, air flow, etc..

Once you have some experience and hopefully a successful grow, Go for it, start experimenting with organic, etc. !

Don't just pile it on, understand what each amendment is going to do. Add them one at a time in test pots and SEE what they do..

It is a weed but :cool:

This is a Durban Poison photo topped once, 3 gallon fabric pot with ProMix HP, MC one part, well water @ 450 ppm and ph of 7.5, No ph down, 600w MH, day 31.

Day 31 Durban Poison 8 Aug.jpg

Cheers

@Chuckeye it was pretty plain English, even for a first time grower. Don't set the bar too low... ;) ... or your overly broad suggestions will raise more questions than you answer.

Greetings @Chuckeye I'd add to your comment that while organics like worm poop, kelp, etc., can resolve a deficiency fairly quickly, dry powdered ingredients (including dry Cal/Mag) can take some time, even months, to become broken down and accessible for the plants, so it is also advisable to prepare that soil mix well in advance of use. It's important to water a new soil mix and allow the soil to become active over several months before use. This is particularly true for dry granular Cal/Mag -- which can take time to become available to the plants. Cal/Mag may be present in the freshly mixed soil but remain unavailable and unusable, and this situation resulted for me in a potassium deficiency in mid-veg, which I counter-acted with a mild seaweed (K 4.5) solution.
This is why I recommend Only ProMix HP and a one part fertilizer.

The majority of new growers will read your post and it will sound like Greek to them ;)

After some studying and experimentation they can move on to a soil, etc. grow....

Cheers

This is why I recommend Only ProMix HP and a one part fertilizer.

The majority of new growers will read your post and it will sound like Greek to them ;)

After some studying and experimentation they can move on to a soil, etc. grow....

Cheers
Yeah, I get it. KISS (keep it simple, stupid). But even with an NPK 10-10-10 if it is in granular form your new grower will need to give it time to break down. Maybe learning Greek isn't such a bad idea... ;)

Yeah, I get it. KISS (keep it simple, stupid). But even with an NPK 10-10-10 if it is in granular form your new grower will need to give it time to break down.
Don't think I've ever seen 10-10-10 recommended for growing pot !

For my current grow I have four girls on MC one part, it is 9-6-17. What little Bud Explosion I use in flower is 0-19-39.

And another two girls on GH Maxi series. The MaxiGro is 10-5-14 and the MaxiBloom is 5-15-14.

They both dissolve readily and as I understand it, are available to the plant immediately.

Maybe learning Greek isn't such a bad idea... ;)
Definitely !

AFTER a successful first grow and AFTER learning what each added element actually adds to a premixed soil such as FFOF, etc.

Or try coco, or explore a full hydro grow, auto pot, etc.

Throwing the kitchen sink at them rarely works !

Do some homework first.....

Cheers

There are 1000 ways to skin a cat. Whatever works best for you is the best method. Personally, I think the easiest method that I have seen, even for new growers, is by using any soil or coco, and then growing organically by using @GeoFlora Nutrients. There is no need to adjust pH or remove chlorine, and regular tap water will work just fine. There is no guessing as to nutrient mix, because there are just 2 one part products, a veg and a bloom mix, and you pick which depending on which season you are in. It becomes a true organic grow, so the plants make all the decisions as to what they need and how much. The most complicated thing about a @GeoFlora Nutrients grow is remembering to applying the granules to the top of the soil once every two weeks. All you need from then on is to water when needed. It doesn't get easier than this.

Er major brain fart :thumb:

Not all new growers are American or live in legal states or countries so we may not be able source those mention products some could well be missing out on 2/3 of a planet to a limited suggestion !

IMHO, soil is easiest, lowest maintenance for sure, however, that said coco is a good choice for new growers too. Coco requires a more hands on approach, and daily attention, which is often the downfall of new soil growers, who tend to “tinker” around every day and end up causing their own problems, overwatering, under/over nutes, etc. Soil doesn’t require everyday action, other than to make sure the equipment is running and they don’t need food/water, you need a more patient approach, which new growers often don’t have (no fault of their own, they’re excited). Coco, you have a set of actions every day and you don’t deviate much from the schedule, which gives the new grower something to do every day (focused tinkering). Idle hands, devils workshop thing! Again, just MHO.

IMHO, soil is easiest, lowest maintenance for sure, however, that said coco is a good choice for new growers too. Coco requires a more hands on approach, and daily attention, which is often the downfall of new soil growers, who tend to “tinker” around every day and end up causing their own problems, overwatering, under/over nutes, etc. Soil doesn’t require everyday action, other than to make sure the equipment is running and they don’t need food/water, you need a more patient approach, which new growers often don’t have (no fault of their own, they’re excited). Coco, you have a set of actions every day and you don’t deviate much from the schedule, which gives the new grower something to do every day (focused tinkering). Idle hands, devils workshop thing! Again, just MHO.
"Soil" is pretty broad, can you be more specific ? ;)

Cheers

"Soil" is pretty broad, can you be more specific ? ;)

Cheers
FFOF (Fox Farm Ocean Forest), is a good, quality growing soil. Has good structure, it can be amended, but doesn’t have to be. I use it for a couple reasons, first I get it “dirt” cheap, it works for my “set it and forget it” style.

I bought 12.bags a week ago @ $9.50 a bag. 1.5 cu ft. bags. It was on sale, but I normally get 3 cu ft bags for $22, regular price.
Good price, for You ;)

For the first time grower planning on up to 4 plants the medium cost shouldn't be as much of a concern compared to everything else it takes, the light likely being the largest ticket item.

And that could open a can of worms :yahoo:

Suffice to say, do your homework. Based on your grow space and budget decide, LCD or HID.

As in most things in life, buy the best you can afford !

Cheers

I'm loving my custom "hybrid" soil mix... compost soil + coir (... and organic ferts, fresh worm compost). New additions: humic acid, fulvic acid.

There are 1000 ways to skin a cat. Whatever works best for you is the best method. Personally, I think the easiest method that I have seen, even for new growers, is by using any soil or coco, and then growing organically by using @GeoFlora Nutrients. There is no need to adjust pH or remove chlorine, and regular tap water will work just fine. There is no guessing as to nutrient mix, because there are just 2 one part products, a veg and a bloom mix, and you pick which depending on which season you are in. It becomes a true organic grow, so the plants make all the decisions as to what they need and how much. The most complicated thing about a @GeoFlora Nutrients grow is remembering to applying the granules to the top of the soil once every two weeks. All you need from then on is to water when needed. It doesn't get easier than this.
Total newbie here although my best result was with no idea what I was doing lol just germinated and planted in seedling pots, potted one per 5" pot all grew various success, didn't know about "buds" ( old school smoked leaves only in my youth ) Learnt a lot from here over last year ish! Just harvested 2 plants auto's no idea what they were apart from they'd been in my tool box forgotten for about 2 yrs. Just harvested and drying the buds ( I was running out so pressed the leaves as I picked the big ones off to dry in a book press)
I need to grow indoors have a all spectrum led light and a fan and a temp gauge. Other than that nothing they get a few drops of baby bio in the tap water which is left to stand a few days .
I'm not a daily user as it's for anxiety/ depression and my Doc is aware ( UK) but also just to chill in the sun/ clouds/ rain whatever it takes some days.

I find all the tech stuff facinating and I'm still playing around and learning. But wonder how those poor plants manage in the wild! 😂

I have had dozens of people tell me they can not grow. They over care, under care or don't know what care is.
1) Over care people water daily with the more food makes better plant mentality. Drain to waste is perfect for them. They get to fiddle, feed and water regularly.
2) Under care forget they have a plant for extended periods. DWC can survive neglect.
3) The third group have never really attempted a pathose or even a cactus plant. They think clones are radio active plants. For them an established seedling in FF with vary simple instructions for watering, transplanting, and lighting.
The worst group is 3.5
3.5) They have never succeeded but a friends uncle told them the secrets to growing god like plants. Everything from defecating on seeds, only water with Dr. Pepper to sprinkle rock salt on the soil to keep pests away. It's like arguing with a flat earther.

This is not an attempt to profile growers by the method they choose. There are simple and advanced versions of all grow methods.

Chuck's point should be well taken, not argued. Why the contentiousness? What's with us 'growers' anyway...

He's offering potentially the simplest, easiest, and cheapest to find medium (peat/perlite 60/40)...

The simplest to use, most inexpensive, likeliest widest avail. nutrients (GH dry, Jacks)...

... and suggesting this as a cost and complexity mitigation so people can spend more money on a better light, get their foot in the door, and after this run stretch themselves as far and in whatever direction they please.

Of course life on another continent looks a little different... I think we all know that, even some Americans (lol) In such cases then, there are principles and products here for direct comparison on offer.

Chuck's point should be well taken, not argued. Why the contentiousness? What's with us 'growers' anyway...

He's offering potentially the simplest, easiest, and cheapest to find medium (peat/perlite 60/40)...

The simplest to use, most inexpensive, likeliest widest avail. nutrients (GH dry, Jacks)...

... and suggesting this as a cost and complexity mitigation so people can spend more money on a better light, get their foot in the door, and after this run stretch themselves as far and in whatever direction they please.

Of course life on another continent looks a little different... I think we all know that, even some Americans (lol) In such cases then, there are principles and products here for direct comparison on offer.

Mmm

Back
Top Bottom