are males really so bad?

ThinkFree

i have 5 young plants in a tiny closet grow, started from seeds.
these were non-feminized seeds.

the thing is, i paid approx $100 us. to get 10 seeds from amsterdam.
(pretty pricey)

i planted six in root riot.
five of which germinated.
(the fact that all 6 did not germinate might very well have been my fault. noob.)

of the five who knows how many might end up being male.
i may very well end up with only one or two female plants.

and then i'd only have four seeds left for the next grow.

i know it's common practice to cull the males to get the sweet sensimillia.

but how bad would it be to just let the males grow and pollinate the females?

in other words. how much of a reduction in quality would that lead to?
i don't really mind picking out seeds here and there.
and i could use the males to make hash. (or could i?)
(is it also possible to smoke male plants?)

* keeping in mind that these are supposed to be quality seeds from amsterdam. would it ruin the crop if i didn't get rid of the males?

has anyone done this before?

** also, would the seeds produced be good to plant next time around?
i wouldn't mind not having to order them again.

thanks for your replies.

imo kill the males and make compost, have you ever smoked a male i have nasty, just as stated clone the females and the 100 you spent is recovered ten fold if you sell i dont but you could

thank you all for your replies.

and to answer your questions as to why...

1. i am a total newb and i don't really know how to clone, and i don't have a separate setup for it.

2. don't i have to clone while it's in a vegetative state?
frankly, i'm just a bit afraid of damaging/killing a plant.

* i have watched a youtube video on cutting a clone and then putting it on 12/12 immediately to determine it's sex. i would just have to figure out where to put the second setup.

3. i'm not saying i'm definitely going to keep the males. it was just a thought.

I think they're good questions. For one thing, all of the energy a plant uses to produce seeds, which you really shouldn't smoke, could be better applied to packing on dense potent virgin calyxes, which you really should smoke. Overall, what THC you get out of the males that you keep could be countered by the bud mass with THC that the females won't produce because they're making seeds.

I don't think the bud matter in a seeded female is necessarily less potent then if she was seedless, just that there will be less of it. Once a bud is fertilized with pollen it can produce seeds and fulfill it's natural destiny, so it doesn't need to keep growing more calyxes and pistils.

On the other hand, I've smoked brown bottom leaves off an immature male grown outdoors and gotten high, (long story - had our own plant growing and found a note from someone concerned about the plant growing where it was - turns out it was another guerrilla grower with his own plants literally a few yards away, who I met and smoked with to establish trust). If you had space to keep everything and keep the females separate, and needed more medicine, then utilizing the males for butter or hash oil is probably not a bad idea.

hi how ya doin ThinkFree from what i understand yes a plant should be in veg state to clone.I was intimidated by cloning until i gave it a try the main thing is patience and keep it simple when i started i built a bubble cloner it worked but i just use rockwool cubes in a tray with a plant heating mat keep a inch or so off water in it i use the cheapist rooting stuff i could find works great last batch 100% in 2 weeks and it was like 30 clones for friends give it a try do some research =piece of cake have a good one happy cloning

And yes the seeds, if left to mature, should be good to grow next time. One good seed run isn't a bad idea...like you say, can save money on purchased seeds in the long run. It could simplify things if you're not comfortable taking cuttings or maintaining a mother.

Big male plants are like big breasts on a nun. They might look good but they sure ain't doing anyone any good.

and this is why i love roseman...

yeah just get rid of the males and keep the girls. cloning is easy just take a look at a few growing vids, mr. green, and seemorebuds have great cloning tutorials.

Back
Top Bottom