Whacking The Males

Whacking the Male Roots

Everyday I hear from a new grower that is doing his very first DWC Grow and now he has realized his male and female roots are very tangled in his reservoir tank. He has arrived at the time to remove the male plant, and he asks me how is he going to untangle those male and female roots to separate them?
When I tell him how, (just whack them in two) I later always see him seeking the advice of other growers, doubting me and looking for a much different answer from someone else. Just like I did on my first grow because it is so hard to accept.
You might want to save this post, bookmark it, save it in your Favorites, so you can later share it and the pics with other new growers.
When I did my first grow, I must of spent hours trying to untangle those roots so I could get that male plant out of that tank and not injure the female roots.

Haven't you ever went to a plant nursery, or Lowes or Home Depot's Garden Department and bought a one quart container with 3 or 4 flowers in it? Didn't you take it home and find all 4 plants root-bound, completely filling up the container? Didn't you then tear those 4 plants apart, rip the roots apart into 4 groups, plant them, set them out in the yard or garden spot and see them just thrive the very next day? Did tearing those roots up kill it or put it in shock over one day? Nope.

I've been doing this 5 gallon bucket grow to show new growers it can be done and how to do it and get decent sized plants. I started 3 unfeminized seed in the bucket, knowing I would later get one or two males and one or two females. Lucky me, I got two females this time!

Here is the bucket a few days earlier, after 5 weeks of VEGGING, when I discovered I had a male in it.

2009_Grow_00137.jpg

Here you see the bucket after I cut off the top of the one male plant, leaving me two 38 to 40 inch tall females. One female has alot of upward branches and will yield many ounces of buds. The other is a runt.

2009_Grow_00139.jpg

Look at this tangled root ball of the three plants, it is larger than a basketball, but the pic doesn't show it very well.
2009_Grow_00228.jpg

It took me all of 15 seconds to cut those roots apart, I did not waste any time trying to separate them. I just cut them apart with some shears.
Here you see them AFTER the whacking.

2009_Grow_00326.jpg

This is what I removed, all in one clump, about 75% of the total roots. That root mass completely filled up the bathroom sink. I've seen many growers say you can not safely remove that much root, without the plant going into shock, but I have 10 dozen Deep Water Culture friends who have tried it and now they know and believe you can.
When I discover a male, I cut the top 5/6 of the plant off and I wait to see if I have any more males in the same tank, before I cut the roots. I always take the opportunity to clean the air stones with a brush and metal scrubber and I completely clean the tank when I remove the males.

This is the bucket 24 hours after cutting out the male and the roots. The plants looked great the next morning and looked great the next night. No shock at all, and the two remaining females drank almost a full gallon the next day, as it normally does.

2009_Grow_00140.jpg

I also wanted you to see the lower branches of the two females. From experience, I can tell that the smaller plant on the left is good for over one ounce of dried manicured buds, and very close to two ounces.
The larger plant with all the upward growing branches and larger base will yield over 4+ ounces of buds.

2009_Grow_00229.jpg

Good post Roseman - since I've killed 75% of my roots and had the plant recover, I can't see why cutting them would be any different! ;)

I think you're right that cutting produces less trauma than pulling them apart. :goodjob:

I've tried to use tubes to keep the roots apart with moderate success, but this is a must read for any DWC grower who uses regular seeds.

Good post Roseman - since I've killed 75% of my roots and had the plant recover, I can't see why cutting them would be any different! ;)

I think you're right that cutting produces less trauma than pulling them apart. :goodjob:

I've tried to use tubes to keep the roots apart with moderate success, but this is a must read for any DWC grower who uses regular seeds.

Thank you, obx. + REP for you.

I think the pics show what is difficult to believe or accept.

yea i remember i was freeking out when it came time for me to do this, but as long as the plant still has roots to draw up water and nutes it does just fine.

I just chopped another male out the other dy and am still waiting for one more plant to sex so I can either yank the last male out or just split them up if they are both females. I think from now on I'd prefer to use the bucket for my females ! esier to move them around! Thanks for reminding me about not hurting them by some really chopping them up !!. :peace:

in other threads ive seen some people talk about getting bubbles to the middle of the rootball is a problem. would taking out half of the rootball be of any benefit to the plants?

am i crazy or just high? a little of each but if it doesn't hurt the plants then....? i do realise hacking on the root especially females is a no no but hey, you never know you can call it the roseman method:cheesygrinsmiley:

I have followed these instructions and been happy with the results. The girl next door hardly knew I was there.

Never heard of bubbles in the rootball being much of a problem. My roots seem to try to hug my oxystones. The only minor problem I see is an occiasional floating root that I suspect got broken off by an excess of bubbles but we are talking real minor stuff. I think the increased oxygen helps them more than it hurts.

Don't know much about root trimming of healthy roots. I have cut some slightly damaged or weak looking roots on occasion and I do know that "better" roots grow back. The ones with fine hairs.

in other threads ive seen some people talk about getting bubbles to the middle of the rootball is a problem. would taking out half of the rootball be of any benefit to the plants?

am i crazy or just high? a little of each but if it doesn't hurt the plants then....? i do realise hacking on the root especially females is a no no but hey, you never know you can call it the roseman method:cheesygrinsmiley:

Nice thing about DWC is all the roots are getting O2 from the water... don't really need the bubbles on them, just in the tank! In fact, knowing how tender roots are... they'd mostly like to be left alone. That's one reason cutting is better than pulling roots apart... would you rather get a haircut, or get it pulled out?? ;)

You raise some interesting and debatable points, bro.
I think the bubbles just have to be in the water, adding aeration, or air to the water. In my opinion, I doubt the air bubbles being near the root ball are that much more beneficial........but I could possibly be wrong.

And at least 6 times, I have cut half the female's roots off to get the male roots out out and had no consequence or harmful affect. AND dozens of times, I talked someone else into doing it, and they came back and said YOU WAS RIGHT ROSE, IT DID NOT PHASE THEM.

I'm only going on what I see in my tank. I've seen my roots go searching for the air stone and when they find it they grow around it. In my case I had three plants and three oxystones so they each got one. The one went 5 or 6" out of her way to get it. I saw the other two doing it, didn't know if it was good or not, and moved the oxystone as far away from the other one as I could and she followed.

I'm only going on what I see in my tank. I've seen my roots go searching for the air stone and when they find it they grow around it. In my case I had three plants and three oxystones so they each got one. The one went 5 or 6" out of her way to get it. I saw the other two doing it, didn't know if it was good or not, and moved the oxystone as far away from the other one as I could and she followed.

Did you have a pump in the tank?

That's trippy to have roots moving location for better air. Cool

it was just a question i had to ask. ok, so the air just has to (basically) be in the water, i get that. does the root enveloping the airstone effect the agitation/circulation of the nutes/water? i know i'm probably being a pain but i gots to know.

Not really. Remember that I have the oxystones.

Discount Hydroponics - OxyStones

and I also have a big pump and run 2 or three in every tank. The air still comes through the roots and the stone doesn't get completely covered. Usually only the top 2/3rds.

I just picked up a couple of 12" petco airstones. I want to see what the roots do if I have the air spread over a larger area. It may be that since the oxystones pump a lot of air from one 4" stone location that causes the roots to go looking for the motherload.

Back
Top Bottom