Whacking The Males

So I talked to a hydro grower who grew tomatoes... (I know.. right?) And he claimed to have a very, very large vine with many pounds of tomatoes that had a few square inches of roots. This goes to show that if the roots are not required to spread out over very large areas, to search for what they need... they don't need to grow that far, and can still sustain a bountiful harvest. I think Roseman's dead on thou.. if the plant is established (which it will be by 4-6 weeks when it sexes), the roots won't matter.

Althou, it does lead me to question if this is the same for organic neuts vs chemical neuts. as we all know chems, are uptaken straight out of the water, with nothing really needed to occur. I'm wondering if the organics require more surface area to react with the roots/microbes..

Interesting question. I grow real tomatoes and the longer the root the bigger the plant and the bigger/thicker the plant the more tomatoes it can support. In hydro the plants I do grow go looking for other thngs too. My roots head to the airstones and tend to grow around them eventually.

I only grow in chemical nutes as in hydro organic is tough for me. Also in hydro I've seen the roots from one or two plants fill a 5 gallon bucket. To me roots matter in that they are capable of supporting and delivering everything the plant needs in balance. Cut a root or the wrong root too short and you can see the results in a short time by a disfigured leaf or other maladies.

That would depend a lot on the strain. Some strains load up both the males and females with various attributes and chemicals. Always worth a try.

Sorry MC if you weren't referring to me,

I didn't mean as in possibly keep them growing... I meant could they be used for cooking or butter, oil, etc at this point once you decide to yank them from veg or at flower? Or would they not be worth the trouble really, put my efforts into the grow instead?
I ask because of all those males I just pulled, would be great if I could use the leafage for something productive? Dogs won't eat any of it and I dipped some in spaghetti sauce! lol

NO problem. I assumed you were talking about after growth use. It's a guessing game on whether they are worth the trouble. I think it comes down to trying to get every little bit from the plant just in case. A big grower wouldn't bother but if you are tending a small grow then little things mean a lot sometimes. I always looked at it as practice. Things like attempting to make butter out of a male plant can't do much harm. If it doesn't work you still have butter! Just set your expectations low and it will be fine. One thing you know is that there will be no THC in the mix. That's females only but there are a lot of other componds that they share. I'd expect big downer stuff if I got anything. My fem leaves have loads of that.

NO problem. I assumed you were talking about after growth use. It's a guessing game on whether they are worth the trouble. I think it comes down to trying to get every little bit from the plant just in case. A big grower wouldn't bother but if you are tending a small grow then little things mean a lot sometimes. I always looked at it as practice. Things like attempting to make butter out of a male plant can't do much harm. If it doesn't work you still have butter! Just set your expectations low and it will be fine. One thing you know is that there will be no THC in the mix. That's females only but there are a lot of other componds that they share. I'd expect big downer stuff if I got anything. My fem leaves have loads of that.

Thx boss!

hey rose ya still around?
I got me a problem with roots and you seem to be the man to ask...
I have 240 clones rooted and ready to go into my roto-gro.
my problem is I would like a uniform garden (its kinda a must as I only have about 10 inches to work with)Now the clones have different root structers so I was thinking about trimming them all to the edge of the one inch cubes there in so they all have the same starting point and hopfully that means they will all grow about the same rate.
does this make sence to you or should I just pop them in the way they are and hope for the best?

thanks bro for the useful post

T.

hey rose ya still around?
I got me a problem with roots and you seem to be the man to ask...
I have 240 clones rooted and ready to go into my roto-gro.
my problem is I would like a uniform garden (its kinda a must as I only have about 10 inches to work with)Now the clones have different root structers so I was thinking about trimming them all to the edge of the one inch cubes there in so they all have the same starting point and hopfully that means they will all grow about the same rate.
does this make sence to you or should I just pop them in the way they are and hope for the best?

thanks bro for the useful post

T.

I'm sorry bro, but I refuse to give advise on something I am not 100% absolutely sure of.
I have a ton of experience cutting off the roots of large plants with large roots, but I have NO experience with CLONE roots or small roots.

I will tell you I have cut off or torn off small roots of small starter flower plants that I bought at Lowes and Home Depot and there was no serious consequence, none at all.

I'd agree that a root trim won't harm them. I, like Roseman, have done major surgery on plants when I have to whack males and usually end up cutting half the roots off the remaining females. What I don't know is if that will affect how they grow. I'd make sure I had a good root structure and do a square up trim and keep the trimming down to maybe 1/3 because they might be delicate. More of a snip, snip, here and snip, snip there kind of thing. When in doubt, don't cut.

awesome thanks guys and a big thanks for being honest.
far to often people will give advice and not knowing what there talking about its like what the hell its not my garden lol.
So I guess what I will do is wait till there going in trim the roots back on the worst ones as an experiment and see if it messes them up or they keep on tuckin nice and uniform like I hope they will.

thanks again yall

T.

how sound is this,, i jus come in frm the room thinking shit i gotta pull one out the tub( stalk rotting out due to me leaving damp towel against it duh!) ... quick look on here bang there it is in black and white,:) out come the scissors tomorrow appi daze.. thanks 2 roseman and other dedicated growers for taking the time to help us out ... bravo

how sound is this,, i jus come in frm the room thinking shit i gotta pull one out the tub( stalk rotting out due to me leaving damp towel against it duh!) ... quick look on here bang there it is in black and white,:) out come the scissors tomorrow appi daze.. thanks 2 roseman and other dedicated growers for taking the time to help us out ... bravo

Good Luck, it will go smooth!

ok so cut roots out yesterday evening, plants were a tiny bit droopy( nt much ) at lunchtime today, this evening they are smiling again and loads of new roots have shot out already, one must be 6" long. these bubbles are ace... big thanks

Back
Top Bottom