Are my plants on track for outdoors?

LeviHarris

I'm new here and this is my first grow ever, I have 3 dozen plants that I started from bag seeds probably about 4 weeks ago. They're all about 6" tall and are starting their 4th and 5th leaf sets.

I'm going to start introducing nutes (Fox Farm trio) on Monday at 1/2 rec. dose. I guess my main concern is I don't think they've grown as much as I would have expected in a months time and I'm just worried they won't be big enough to produce anything worthwhile in the end. The days hit 12/12 close to the end of August-Early September, so about 2-2.5 months from now.

I'd post a picture but I'm not sure how, like I said they're all about 6" tall starting on 4th and 5th leaf sets, all are healthy and straight with no spotting on the leaves or anything like that. I leave them outside in a spot that gets plenty of sun throughout the day, and only water when the top 2" of soil go dry. I haven't checked my pH yet so I don't know of that could be a cause for what I perceive as slow growth.

Sorry if this is too vague, I'm new at this and any feedback you all could give would be greatly appreciated. .

Well, you DID start a tad late, but, if you acclimate them to the outdoors, and prepare the garden soil, then they should catch up. With all that root space, they'll take off like .... weeds. ;)

I'm gonna grow them all out of pots. Right now I have them all in gallon and half gal. pots. I plan on putting them in some 20-25 gal. pots once they max their roots out.

I'm gonna grow them all out of pots. Right now I have them all in gallon and half gal. pots. I plan on putting them in some 20-25 gal. pots once they max their roots out.

Acclimating is more than just up-potting them. It's gradually getting them used to outdoor climate.

Inside, the temperature, humidity and light intensity are controlled. Outside is a whole different story. Even in the shade, they will dry up or get sunburn unless you gradually give them some outdoor time, as well as indoor time, while they are small enough to handle. Increase their time outdoors every day for about a week or two, and then up-pot them on a cloudy day to their outdoor beds.

You'll want to watch them carefully for a week or two after that, misting if it gets really hot in your area, or even setting up a canopy to shade them if you have really hot days, like 90 F and above. After that, they should be good.

Back
Top Bottom