Are this many lights enough?

Pics tell the tale

But will be a challenge in flower
1570526752597.png

just showing you one since they are not attached right now, i'm sprouting little seedling so one is enough. old school growers used clf for a long long time, and now everyone says that led/clf is bad... what about temperature? i have 2 cold lights and 4 warm lights.

Those are 150-watt, seriously?

Somehow, I doubt it. But if they actually were, that'd be 900 watts -which would easily hope two average sized cannabis plants. And a few more, probably.

Right now, I've got a couple little ones under one Mars Hydro LED that's only approximately 134 watts. And, let's see... A Rosemary plant, a big basil plant, a bhut jolokia that I forgot to water when it was merely dry (it still managed to keep a few leaves, lol)... and one lonely onion.

BtW, you might want to cut the plastic globe cover off of one of those bulbs, since it looks like they're more translucent than transparent and, therefore blocking/attenuating some of the output.

Those lights are 30/40 watt could even be 19.5s (the 19s are rated as 160 w replacements) they are fine for seedlings keep them a foot or more away. 6500 k ones work well while they are small. You will find they lack penetration ( canopy penetration depth will be around 1 Ft pushing it ) when your autos get bigger. They will flower under those lights but you will not be happy with the buds you get compared to lights made for growing make sure you use 3000k ones at least for the flowering.

You tent is around 2.5x2.5 ?

Cool white is 6500k and warm white is 3000k

I had too make do with some of those lights to keep my plant alive while I found something better after my flowering chips burned out (I made the lights myself and was likely over supplying the cobs with the driver I used).I

20191009_000834.jpg

I currently have my clones under the 6500s and they seem to be doing well and getting fairly tight node spacing and they are not going to cause heat problems like a Mh would in my vegging area.

Funny that I came to this section to read what I could find on Hps lights.

Kp

old school growers used clf for a long long time, and now everyone says that led/clf is bad...
No one is saying that LED or CFL is bad. It is the other way around. The LED lights used for growing plants are the wave of the future and it seems that every couple of months another improvement has been made in the LED lighting. CFLs are old fashioned and harder to find but they are not bad. There are plenty of people who started growing using those bulbs.

The bulb in the photo looks like the basic household bulbs with the universal screw in base. They are often called a medium base bulb in the US. I will hazard a guess that what @alexandertheok has there are LED bulbs that are rated at 150 watt equivalent to the old style incandescent bulb. Their draw in actual wattage (at the wall) is closer to 23 to 25 watts but still providing a light level close to the incandescent so they end up costing less to run.

Big downside to using them is that it takes a lot of them to provide a decent amount of actual growing light. My recommendation is to stop buying those regular household bulbs and get a LED grow light from a shop that sells growing and gardening supplies. The household CFL bulb, which in my opinion, is still a better choice than household LED bulbs.

"Been there, done that" and I am now using T5 HO florescent style fixtures with LED tubes.

Good day coming, enjoy it.

CFL bulbs aren't/weren't bad. They were just packaged/marketed by a bunch of rooster-sucking con artists who portrayed them as being brighter and more powerful than they are. Sort of like a lot of LED sellers (even a lot of LED grow light sellers). That whole "equivalent to..." bullsh!t didn't help. Whether they actually were equivalent to the advertised wattage incandescent light bulb is highly debatable but, regardless, anything related to or compared to incandescent lighting has ZERO relevance when it comes to growing cannabis.

It was kind of sad to see someone decide that they'd do just as well with CFLs as with HPS, then slowly start adding light bulbs to their grow tent... until they had around 1,200 watts worth of them to maybe bring in a harvest comparable to a 600-watt HPS setup, lol. I forget who it was now (been several years), but at least he quit jabbering about how "CFL is cooler than HPS" somewhere along the way. He didn't bother to separate the little internal ballasts from the light-producing part of the bulbs (most people don't/didn't), so it was probably early in the grow.

Low-wattage bulbs are alright - if the person using them understands the concept of "low-wattage" :rolleyes: . That a watt of light inside an enclosed space is going to produce something like 3.412 BTU of heat, regardless of what kind of device is producing it. That 10,000 candles in a box will produce as much (sometimes more) heat as a campfire. That all those little ballasts produce heat in the grow room, but that big honkin' HID ballast mounted outside... doesn't. Et cetera.

Those are 150-watt, seriously?

Somehow, I doubt it. But if they actually were, that'd be 900 watts -which would easily hope two average sized cannabis plants. And a few more, probably.

Right now, I've got a couple little ones under one Mars Hydro LED that's only approximately 134 watts. And, let's see... A Rosemary plant, a big basil plant, a bhut jolokia that I forgot to water when it was merely dry (it still managed to keep a few leaves, lol)... and one lonely onion.

BtW, you might want to cut the plastic globe cover off of one of those bulbs, since it looks like they're more translucent than transparent and, therefore blocking/attenuating some of the output.
how can i cut it off? any ideas? 150w of equivalent, so not from the wall

how many 150w equivalent leds would i need for 2 plants'
No one is saying that LED or CFL is bad. It is the other way around. The LED lights used for growing plants are the wave of the future and it seems that every couple of months another improvement has been made in the LED lighting. CFLs are old fashioned and harder to find but they are not bad. There are plenty of people who started growing using those bulbs.

The bulb in the photo looks like the basic household bulbs with the universal screw in base. They are often called a medium base bulb in the US. I will hazard a guess that what @alexandertheok has there are LED bulbs that are rated at 150 watt equivalent to the old style incandescent bulb. Their draw in actual wattage (at the wall) is closer to 23 to 25 watts but still providing a light level close to the incandescent so they end up costing less to run.

Big downside to using them is that it takes a lot of them to provide a decent amount of actual growing light. My recommendation is to stop buying those regular household bulbs and get a LED grow light from a shop that sells growing and gardening supplies. The household CFL bulb, which in my opinion, is still a better choice than household LED bulbs.

"Been there, done that" and I am now using T5 HO florescent style fixtures with LED tubes.

Good day coming, enjoy it.
i can't get proper growing lights where i live, and buying them on the internet is not an option for me, had a friend who bought a lot of growing stuff online, and cops showed up at his house and found his weed.luckly he got away with a fine because he never had legal problems. you can get 6 years in jail for one damn plant here.

Hi Alex, and welcome to 420 Magazine.
Many have been down the path you are traveling. Don't be discouraged but the bulbs you are trying to work with will not bring you a very good harvest.
Each bulb is only 20 watts in reality or very close to it. 20 x 6 = 120 watts in total. Now we have enough for seedlings and vegging two small to medium indoor plants. The next issue is the frosted globes. These globes are cutting down on your par significantly. You won't be getting 120 watts to the plants due to this in my opinion. If your budget can swing it I highly suggest purchasing an LED fixture that produces at least 250 watts from the wall. (not just what they say it is equal to).
You have time to save up since you will be ok using what you have up to the point of switching to flower. Still this isn't ideal for veg either but it will work. Just slower growth in veg basically.

how can i cut it off? any ideas?

Dremel Tool.

buying them on the internet is not an option for me, had a friend who bought a lot of growing stuff online, and cops showed up at his house and found his weed.

Ouch. The police in your country have legal access to your mail? I hope you're accessing this forum from a public computer somewhere other than your house, then, because they've probably got access to your Internet service provider, too. Time to overthrow the sultan, I guess.

Hi Alex, and welcome to 420 Magazine.
Many have been down the path you are traveling. Don't be discouraged but the bulbs you are trying to work with will not bring you a very good harvest.
Each bulb is only 20 watts in reality or very close to it. 20 x 6 = 120 watts in total. Now we have enough for seedlings and vegging two small to medium indoor plants. The next issue is the frosted globes. These globes are cutting down on your par significantly. You won't be getting 120 watts to the plants due to this in my opinion. If your budget can swing it I highly suggest purchasing an LED fixture that produces at least 250 watts from the wall. (not just what they say it is equal to).
You have time to save up since you will be ok using what you have up to the point of switching to flower. Still this isn't ideal for veg either but it will work. Just slower growth in veg basically.
i've looked in many shops, Leroy merlin, bricoman, obi, comet etc, couldn't find anything that pulls more than 35w from the wall, and it was way too big. i read that more small ones are better than few big ones

Dremel Tool.

Ouch. The police in your country have legal access to your mail? I hope you're accessing this forum from a public computer somewhere other than your house, then, because they've probably got access to your Internet service provider, too. Time to overthrow the sultan, I guess.
wait, so you're saying remove the glass too? i do take my precautions on the internet :D

One of those lights 1-2 ft above your seeds is plenty.

At the moment I have 18 seedlings under 2 30w 6500k lights tonight I added one more

15705294207551628983103.jpg

The plants at the top are from seed I started them under 1 x 19.5 watt 6500k light.

The poor clones got cooked being to close to the big lights while I sorted that area out to take them.

One of those lights 1-2 ft above your seeds is plenty.

At the moment I have 18 seedlings under 2 30w 6500k lights tonight I added one more

15705294207551628983103.jpg

The plants at the top are from seed I started them under 1 x 19.5 watt 6500k light.

The poor clones got cooked being to close to the big lights while I sorted that area out to take them.
i use a warm light too, just to add some spectrum, is that ok? i keep them a few CM away, is that ok? the lights don't make much heat, i can put my hand on it and it's barely warm after 8 hours

Back
Top Bottom