Athena's Grape Ape Indoor Soil Sativa 2010

AthenasBaby

I got a bag of Grape Ape in April 2010, good stuff and found one seed. Hung onto it for quite some time in a drawer.

grapeape2.jpg

I knew nothing about serious growing, and didn't think it would sprout. I put it in a quart of seedling starter mix and put her out on my 2nd floor balcony in 6 hours of morning sun and three hours of ambient sun.

3 weeks went by. I put all kinds of unorthodox organic stuff in the soil (worms, ground up eggshells...) and then when the leaves grew more than three fans I brought her inside. I was just gonna throw her away but I was encouraged to keep her as a "houseplant"; since it was from good stock.
Week 4 and I started to notice some things going on with my "baby".
necroleaf.JPG

Some yellowing
necroleaf2.JPG

A necrotic spot on a leaf
redstem1.JPG

and some redness in the stems.

I worked for a short time in a florists shop and know just enough about plants to say that I thought she was dying, LOL! I found these forums and learned what I needed to know to make her more comfortable. I bought a soil tester and a bigger pot (5 gal) and less time released nutrient soil. I bought a fluorescent light from wally world and a black light I got from a water purifying set. I purchased a small fan and have that blowing on her constantly.
2ft1.JPG

When I brought her inside and transplanted her
IMG_075810.JPG

The flower tone nutrients I'm now feeding once a week very lightly.
5weeknode.jpg

A node at 5 weeks
92d27e4c.jpg

Whole plant at 5 1/2 weeks
d787b8421.jpg

Plant from top at 6 1/2 weeks
132e059c.jpg

first signs of branching, thinking about topping and cloning.

I use a rapitest soil tester according to wet soil directions (take a 2" sample from 3" away from base of plant, wet to very muddy with distilled water and stick probes in)

This is as far as I've gotten so far. To shortly recap:
Grape Ape sativa at 7 weeks old
3 gal gardening soil
a flouro tube set on a 24/0 light schedule for now.
1/4 cup flower tone nutrients dissolved in watering solution every 13 days or so. My soil tester is pretty accurate and I trust it to tell me when I should fertilize or water.
I test the soil at 6.5 ph I haven't really touched it. It tests my turtle tank water at 7.5 :D
I'll keep posting pics as time goes by. For something I didn't even think would grow, she's doing pretty good :)

:peacetwo:

Athena

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

I got serious...BUMP...

Well, I got down to business and ordered a 96"x48"x72" reflective interior grow tent, when it came everything else started. I had to wait a few weeks to get all the lights it wanted but the things I was doing started changing.
IMG_11593.JPG

I know I know, but this isn't how things end up.
I started saving my water jugs and leaving them out, my tap water PH tests 6.9-7.1 so I haven't touched it. At this time I still had granule flowering nutes and didn't know how to use them. I didn't water them enough to wash the salt from the nutes out of the soil and this started happening.
IMG_11554.JPG
IMG_11545.JPG

I flushed the soil with six gallons of distilled water and hastily cut clones:
IMG_10436.JPG

but, I was too late and was left with only the clones. I had two weeks to get my shit together if I wanted my plants to live.
I went out and got six 4 ft CFL fixtures and two T8 6500k and two 5000k bulbs to veg. I purchased Scott's moisture control potting soil and two big bags of plain perlite. I also got six 5 gallon "self watering" pots and five 1 gallon pots with drain holes for small plants. I built a cloning chamber out of a 2',6"x 1',6" clear plastic tub with a hole cut at the top to put the cord through. I bought tomato grower from a garden center 18-18-21 (AACK!) because it was early winter and nobody had anything else but miracle gro. It was still salty...
So then I had to divide the veg from the flower, the little clones just hanging on no matter what. I duct taped a tarp up to create a light-tight wall.
I didn't take anymore pics for the three weeks that those clones grew.
I went out and bought six 3000k T8 bulbs for my remaining fixtures. I ran into the exact same problem which killed my first plant, took six clones and flushed the three remaining plants and vowed to not use that fertilizer again >.<
One grape ape plant didn't make it. Also, some short, fat little plant that I think was a lowryder died as well. Two Grape Ape plants made it. To avoid not getting a harvest, I flipped those two into flower. This is them at 2 weeks.
IMG_14419.JPG

I put everyone on a strict diet and light regime:
Two grape ape plants approx. 3" tall.
Two five gallon pots that have good drainage.
2-1 soil and perlite mix.
no dry nutes in soil mix.
2 tsp. Alaska Fish Emulsion Morbloom 0-10-10 per half gal water.
1 tsp. Blackstrap Molasses per half gal water.
I've been using this method feeding every time I water; every 4 days or when the pots feel light. It's seemed to work for the last 6 weeks.
They are also on a timer for 12/12 (give or take 20 minutes)
IMG_15423.JPG

IMG_14635.JPG

2 weeks budding.
IMG_14686.JPG

Tiny Cola on taller plant 2 weeks budding.
IMG_14743.JPG

Hair development at 3 weeks budding. At this point, my vegging clones smell stronger...
IMG_14795.JPG

Smaller plant 3 weeks. I'm ecstatic that the plants not only lived, but, seem to be bouncing back! I know that I won't have massive harvest buds, but, I'm getting something!

4 weeks and still no smell, but they are starting to fill out:
IMG_14935.JPG
I can barely pick out the little buds from here.

IMG_14944.JPG

Again, a little fuzzy but those are honest buds! 4 1/2 weeks.

I Know it's a little hard to see but I put mylar tape on the undersides of the ballasts to reflect more light on the buds:
IMG_14965.JPG

These also get a side light 4" with two T8 bulbs, I only need one more on the left side of the tent to be complete.

4 weeks into budding and I see trichomes!
IMG_14983.JPG

Okay not a lot, but there they are! Still no change in their steady diet of fish crap...
OH NO FUNGUS GNATS!!!!
I hate fungus gnats. If there is an inch of soil you don't treat...they breed in force! Here's a simple recipe that I got from an edible food grower's guide:
2 pints isopropyl alcohol
2 tbs ground cinnamon
Mix and let stand for 24 hours. filter through coffee filter (This takes FOREVER, make a sandwich, or a roast) and put in a spray bottle. IMOE spraying this mixture on wet soil after you water will not only kill larvae, but also kill some mold. Win/Win I think, and it smells good.
Crisis Averted at 4 Weeks

GO POT GO!! :cheer:

Athena

Athena's Indoor Grape Ape Soil CFL Organic Fert Grow.

Two mature Grape Ape bagseed 3rd Generation Clones
Two 5 Gal self watering pots
3-1 soil perlite mix no nutes in soil
Alaska fish emulsion Morbloom 0-10-10 Liquid nutes 2 tsp in half gal water every water until last 2 weeks.
1 tsp molasses in same half gal of water
water every four days or when pots seem light.
rake wet soil and treat with cinnamon alcohol insectifungicide.
6 4" 3000k T8 bulbs under reflective ballasts
4 bulbs top light, 2 bulbs side light
12/12 timed light on/off

Here are the girls at 5 weeks:
IMG_15003.JPG

Mmm Hairy, but still no smell?

Here they are from the top:
IMG_15052.JPG

So hard to believe that they are doing their thing...

Fuzzy photo but the buds are about the size of my thumbnail ^.^
IMG_15156.JPG

Aw. Just awww.
IMG_15173.JPG

6 weeks today. This is the whole shebang:
IMG_15295.JPG

Whole Plants 6 weeks:
IMG_15306.JPG

6 week cola buds from taller plant:
IMG_15366.JPG

They really are starting to grow together. That's good, right?

IMG_15463.JPG

It's getting frosty in here, 6 weeks.

well, I think one more feeding (I fed today) and then just plain water until I think they are ready, right? I think this is a major improvement and I don't think I'll ever be done improving the situation. Let me know what you think and I'll keep posting as long as they live!!!!

Athena

Tomorrow, it will be 7 weeks. I watered and fed one more time last night before the lights went off. I added half strength fish farts 5-1-1 to make sure they have SOME Nitrogen.

IMG_15894.JPG

This project is growing and I feel like I have new mom syndrome.

Here's another pic of a bud close up:
IMG_15825.JPG

More pics soon!

Sorry for the gap in posting, everything seemed to happen so fast!

7 weeks I'm starting to get anxious for several reasons. I'm a newb of course, and I had cut clones at the same time I put these two "hobby plants" into flower. Long story short, I think I've been doing something right because I can hear the clones whispering at night: "Feed me, Seymour, feed me!". They are so big, I can hardly let the flowering plants go for the two extra weeks I think they need.
7 weeks and 2 days
IMG_15865.JPG

I started thinking that a lot of people say to flush during this time. This washes toxic ferts out of the bud so the smoke isn't harsh. I also thought though, that properly dried and cured bud _should_ have 85% of it's moisture lost. Most of that nasty stuff should have gone away too. I'm going to test my theory and feed 1 tsp molasses when I water, it contains trace minerals (I'm also a hunter and molasses is a prime source of minerals for wildlife) that I think will get my plant through without starving it. mmm Molasses...

IMG_15973.JPG

These are them after the watering and molasses at 7 weeks 4 days. I've been so nervous the whole time and fussing that the wait seems ENORMOUS.

IMG_16035.JPG

This bud also seems enormous

IMG_16072.JPG

they seem to be gaining weight since week 7. This is week 8 today.

More Bud close-up. I've seen a few grows and pics, but no one is willing to post this kind of grow, I think. I've made many mistakes and this is the 3rd 'generation' of this particular bagseed. These may not look like magazine buds, but with my watering schedule and lights I'm happy to see a return. I don't have a way of really looking at the trichomes but as far as I can tell using my camera, it's close.
IMG_16544.JPG

8 weeks 3 days. I've decided I have to chop today. The other plants are starting to eat each other and I need the space.
IMG_16573.JPG

I find myself strangely reluctant. Ah, it must be this way, I say. This is the natural cycle of things. If I didn't cut her, she would simply die anyway.
IMG_16593.JPG

Here Goes Nothing.

IMG_16444.JPG

The day of harvest: maybe 4 oz of wet weight, uncompact buds. Hairy and frosty though!
Holes were drilled into the sides of a rubber tub and wire strung across inside, and more holes drilled in the sides for ventilation. I'll be a few days till my silica gel gets here but The bud has been lain across is still attached to the branches and a plastic tray underneath to catch anything that falls. After removing the fan leaves I and a clandestine cohort trimmed the buds and took the green trim, including the teeny weeny little buds that grew lower on the plant, directly to the double broiler to steep in margarine for an hour. One bud

Crap I hate my clumsy fingers.
*AHEM*
One bud went over the receiver in my tv stand for 12 hours. It was pretty dry when smoked. An old glass pipe was cleaned and stuffed with this uncured but completely smokable green. No harshness at all. Surprising, but pleasant! It was definitely greeny, but really sweet too! I am really anxious too see how the buds dry and what they taste like after being cured!!!

IMG_16444.JPG

The day of harvest: maybe 4 oz of wet weight, uncompact buds. Hairy and frosty though!
Holes were drilled into the sides of a rubber tub and wire strung across inside, and more holes drilled in the sides for ventilation. I'll be a few days till my silica gel gets here but The bud has been lain across is still attached to the branches and a plastic tray underneath to catch anything that falls. After removing the fan leaves I and a clandestine cohort trimmed the buds and took the green trim, including the teeny weeny little buds that grew lower on the plant, directly to the double broiler to steep in margarine for an hour. One bud

I noticed here you said silica gel...you're going to use silica gel to dry your buds or just to have in the drying area to absorb moisture??

:Namaste:

I have to say, from starting where you did is a feat most people wouldn't attempt. You recovered from it very well. Did your research and overcame adversity. I am glad you created this journal. It will show a lot of people what can happen, and with a little TLC, you can accomplish damn near anything. Nice job.

giantsfan24 said:
I noticed here you said silica gel...you're going to use silica gel to dry your buds or just to have in the drying area to absorb moisture??

:Namaste:

As a drying agent. Eating the stuff is lethal, just getting it into your mucous membranes is very irritating. I don't personally like messing with it, but it's supposed to work.
Btw the margarine I made from the fresh trim, was incredibly potent...those brownies were totally space cakes!!!
I really appreciate everyone who read this grow journal and I hope to inspire all who thought their babies were dying to give them some love.
It -is- a weed. It -wants- to grow, you just have to give it an opportunity. Srsly. Even if it looks dead, learn all you can from it!

Peace! Athena

d(^_^o)

Maybe, she's done. I cut them 1 and 2 weeks ago. The smoke was a little harsh but it got the job done. I can definitely taste molasses in the smoke, I am so proud of my little struggling girls!!

I've also got three plants that were clones of the 2nd gen, the ones I just harvested. They've been on a much stricter diet than their parent, they only get the fish emulsion. Those plants are still not perfect, but they sure do look beautiful. They almost look fake...

Just had a look through. Some tallies you have there. grats on the first grow.

Just some constructive feed back. Your girls our stretching alot trying to find light. you would get a tighter grow with better lighting and might be more manageable inside your space.

You worked with what you have and got her done. Bravo

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom