Benefits of azomite, glacial rock dust etc & their properties

Most of these amendments have multiple.uses, some definitely overlap others benefits and makeup. If you have a particular question about organic amendments, I would get in touch with @Van Stank, @bobrown14, @GodOfPot. All 3 are an incredible wealth of knowledge when it comes to organics and their potential substitutes.

Alfalfa pellets work... the binding agent in the pellets breaks down with the first watering. Get some and put a handful in a bucket of water.. watch and stir then pour in... that easy.

For Azomite.. reason you cant get it. It's a proprietary product mined in a single location in the US. Its rock dust plain and simple... nothing different that other rock dusts so why you cant get it in the UK - it's going to be too expensive after ship cost.

There's plenty of granite in the UK .. LOTS of it actually so no way anyone would import something that is of little value. What you want is granite dust or Basalt rock dust - these are paramagnetic rocks. The Azomite is a sea bed so more clay that paramagnetic. This comes into play when you start looking at your soils cation exchange capacity.

Trust me folks in the UK are on this ... there's places that do soil science as relating to growing plants and animals.. Science test stations or something like that.. its been a thing over there for a very long time.

Google "Kelp Meal in the UK" and your eyes will widen ... there's some real good things going on ...

Hey how's things, I am aware of the azomite situation and it's only mined in USA,And I'm clued up with kelp meal i used in for teas and a amendment in subcools mix my own twist on it lol I'm hitting over gram a watt now using organics and new led technology, I have a Budmaster GOD and citizen's and thrilled with it

OK so Subcool wants to use Azomite?? I'm guessing here.

Azomite is fine but its REAL high in Al and Mg... and as mentioned its not para-magnetic. Its closely related to clay as the formation is basically an ancient mud formation. Look for Basalt Rock dust in fine powder.

Add the Azomite to your worm bin.... but WAY over priced for what it is.

The term "Azomite" was made up term by the owner founder on the mine btw.. food for thought.. It's "special" type mud with a "special" name so it must be worth something akin to gold???

I looked up the price.. it's come down quite a bit from 10$ a pound to 50cents a pound which in more inline with what its worth... which is not much.

I have given up on azomite bro as I'm in uk, I can't see it making a dramatic effect regardless of the hype,it's mostly a type if silica apparently 65%silicon dioxide but I think the other amendments are far more importan imho,my plants are fine without it anyway

I have given up on azomite bro as I'm in uk, I can't see it making a dramatic effect regardless of the hype,it's mostly a type if silica apparently 65%silicon dioxide but I think the other amendments are far more importan imho,my plants are fine without it anyway

100% agree, just posting info more for everyone's benefit when some proprietary amendment is suggested ... there's an underlying reason and its usually cash.

I would take a close look at whomever suggested Azomite... it may be that they live closer to the source so its less $$. Still however doesn't have paramagenetic properties.

Clay is very important to agriculture tho.. so looking up the reason why is a very worthwhile pursuit.

Not all clay is created equal.

Leave azomite, as bobrown said it's an amendment that's used only in small amounts. I'd look for powdered basalt or lava stone and you'll find it for sure. Just remember to use it wisely. I drop a handful of it in 10 kg of soil when I cook it.

Just got some azomite today 5lb. (in mail), going to try this after hearing good things about it's results. I am a firm believer in living soil methods, and anything that helps this is well worth the effort IMO.

I've been on this auto-train for awhile now, (not all my grows, but most) so it's become the race to get the plants as big and bountiful, in the shortest, finite amount of time.

Sometimes, Good things come in small packages. I got a feeling a "little bit" goes a long way with this stuff...

My starts on day 2 & day 4 respectively.

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_160831308 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20200422_160831308 - Copy.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20200425_205304 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20200425_205304 - Copy.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 149
Yeah all rock dusts are slow to break down... well being rock :) It’s a great amendment, but benefits will show after a few cycles if soil has the right amount of bioactivity.

you could start looking for zeolite which is world wide available.
usually you find clinoptilolite which is good but has half exchange ion capacity than his sisters chabasite and phillipsite.
didn't know about azomite, cannot find what kind of rock is that, btw reading his abilities i guess it's some form of zeolite.
i'm whatching some pictures and it looks exactly like zeolite...
is azomite a registered name or the name of the mineral?

Proprietary. I was told the name is meant to represent it having a full range of elements. So from A-Z
AZoMite.
How else are you going to charge much for ground up rock?

i read azomite is " hydrated sodium calcium alumino silicates"
hydrated sodium alumino silicates is a different name for synthetic zeolites (the natural form has just aluminium and silica in his main structure)
and the calcium alumino silicates is some kind of feldspates that can be found bonded with zeolites (you cannot find pure zeolite in nature but always linked with other vulcanic minerals)
so azomite is basically synthetic zeolite..in the states you should have the clinoptilolite type ( a natural one) and i'm pretty sure you could find it for much cheaper than azomite.

You are welcome : )
In Europe you can find chabasite and phillipsite (two kind of zeolites) that have at least twice the ion Exchange capacity of clinoptilolite
Maybe you already know zeolites...tuff Is made of it.
Those minerals are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom