Need help in substituting a couple of amendments

pointer80

Hello all, I am getting ready to put my plants in the garden and I am putting together a soil mix but cannot find all the ingredients that I need and was wondering if I could sub. a couple amendments? I cannot find the rock dust( glacier or basalt), could I use azomite for this?
also can I use lime in place of oyster shell flour? Another thing is crab or crustacean meal, I do have about 2/3 bag of lobster compost, could I add some of this to give me the chitin I need. I have 10 holes to do. Also is neem meal something I could scratch into the soil later when I make it to where they stock it? Thanks for the help.

@Emilya may be one of the better growers to help here.
IMO powdered Azomite sounds good to me, I also would think lime may be okay but the type would be important. A prilled version would probably be best just for a more long term slower release but perhaps a 50/50 prilled and powdered. Perhaps Gypsum as well?. Are you outside the States? An area where Oyster shell flour is hard to find? Because it's easy to get on ebay.

Azomite will be good and supplies a lot of the microelements, but keep looking for a phosphorus source... it is important later on that the soil be able to provide this. Lime is not exactly a substitute for oyster shell flower either. A small amount of dolomite lime is appropriate to provide for a positive pH drift but go very easy on this. The crustaceon meal would be a good sub for the oyster too. Which recipe are you using?

@Emilya may be one of the better growers to help here.
IMO powdered Azomite sounds good to me, I also would think lime may be okay but the type would be important. A prilled version would probably be best just for a more long term slower release but perhaps a 50/50 prilled and powdered. Perhaps Gypsum as well?. Are you outside the States? An area where Oyster shell flour is hard to find? Because it's easy to get on ebay.
I might of found oyster shell flour. fingers cross

Azomite will be good and supplies a lot of the microelements, but keep looking for a phosphorus source... it is important later on that the soil be able to provide this. Lime is not exactly a substitute for oyster shell flower either. A small amount of dolomite lime is appropriate to provide for a positive pH drift but go very easy on this. The crustaceon meal would be a good sub for the oyster too. Which recipe are you using?
I think I found the oyster shell flour. I found crab meal but they want $70/ 50 pounds and I just don't want to spend that. I am trying to follow coot's recipe but I am open to other options. I have ewc plus alfalfa and kelp meal and also malted barley. I am using 1/3 very aged manure and ewc and topsoil for my compost plus 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 rice hulls, course sand and perlite for my aeration. What is a good phosphorus source? Thanks

one more thing, I can get paramagnetic rock dust, Is this the same as basalt rock dust or similar? better than azomite? thanks

one more thing, I can get paramagnetic rock dust, Is this the same as basalt rock dust or similar? better than azomite? thanks
yes, i like the paramagnetic rock dust... it is a fine additive. Azomite is known as the A to Z (hence the name) mix of trace and rare minerals along with a good load of calcium and potassium, but it should not be considered as a substitute for a good source of either. Azomite is in there for the rare elements that our plants still need.

And actually the full kit for $65 gives you everything you need, you just need to add the peat moss.

yes, i like the paramagnetic rock dust... it is a fine additive. Azomite is known as the A to Z (hence the name) mix of trace and rare minerals along with a good load of calcium and potassium, but it should not be considered as a substitute for a good source of either. Azomite is in there for the rare elements that our plants still need.
ok, Thanks. I think I will go with the paramagnetic rock.

And actually the full kit for $65 gives you everything you need, you just need to add the peat moss.

Thank you, I just don't know how much it will cost considering I have to prepare 12 holes out in the garden.

Hello all, I am getting ready to put my plants in the garden and I am putting together a soil mix but cannot find all the ingredients that I need and was wondering if I could sub. a couple amendments? I cannot find the rock dust( glacier or basalt), could I use azomite for this?
also can I use lime in place of oyster shell flour? Another thing is crab or crustacean meal, I do have about 2/3 bag of lobster compost, could I add some of this to give me the chitin I need. I have 10 holes to do. Also is neem meal something I could scratch into the soil later when I make it to where they stock it? Thanks for the help.

Growing outdoors in ground??

If YES

Yes on the azomite (its just expensive and heavy in some heavy metals)

What kind of lime - if garden lime yes just go a little easier

Use up the lobster compost - Coast of Main??
Good stuff be liberal with it

Neam Cake - absolutetely you can scratch in. Will help with bugs can scratch in a and leave some laying on the surface of the soil. It will deter just about every pest out there.

GL - Starting a grow journal??

We like to watch plants grow.

Growing outdoors in ground??

If YES

Yes on the azomite (its just expensive and heavy in some heavy metals)

What kind of lime - if garden lime yes just go a little easier

Use up the lobster compost - Coast of Main??
Good stuff be liberal with it

Neam Cake - absolutetely you can scratch in. Will help with bugs can scratch in a and leave some laying on the surface of the soil. It will deter just about every pest out there.

GL - Starting a grow journal??

We like to watch plants grow.
Thanks for the reply, I found neem meal and also paramagnetic rock dust. Also got a quarter bag of crab meal and oyster shell flour so I am good to go. I also started a grow journal. If you have time could you look at my post in frequently ask questions regarding watering and feeding schedule for my soil recipe. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom