Best growing media for a traveler? Soil, soil-less, or hydro?

Fairly Sterile

420 Member
For someone who has to travel a lot, what would be the easiest growing medium to maintain? I'm thinking mostly about how often I would need to fertilize and how often I might need to intervene to fix ph/salt/other soil issues.

Btw, I'm an engineer and can automate any part of the grow, including watering.

My parents or friends would be available to provide daily care when I'm gone, but it would be just following written instructions I leave for them (so definitely not having them mess with ph or flushing or anything like that).

For me it would be soil. I have gone out of town and I prepped the plants by giving them a good soaking on the two days before leaving. Coming back 3 days later the plants in large pots were OK and the ones in the small pots were starting to wilt. Pretty much what I was figuring would be happening.

If you think that you will be gone for more days than that I am thinking that an automated watering system would be better. Certainly would be easier on the parents or friends. Only thing is that if the system goes out of whack or goes down they might not be able to give a temporary fix.

With soil they would just have to give water which might be easier. I keep thinking of pluses and minuses for each type of growing.

Soil for sure. Automated system. But I think living soil might be a good idea. It could normally provide all beneficial nutrition, while only using 💦 water!

That's what I would do if had to leave for extended periods, or have someone else helping. Not everyone has the ability or comprehension to follow schedules, mixes, looking for identifiers in the tent from pest nutrient or pH issues.

I would definitely add a cam. It's nice to be able to help identify issues, or gauge what happened and when.

Being an engineer you have no problem setting timers, thermostats and such for portable a/c heater for grow area. That will maintain the environment, there is even wifi humidifier dehumidifier depending on your situation. I run a wifi controller for fans lights, temp, humidity, vpd and such. I can change, or control whole environment anytime anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom