Bonsaiweed's Dwarf Low Flyer, Indoor Tent, Soil, LED, First Grow, 2018, Terminated

So, last night when I checked on the seeds I was greeted with tap roots about 5/8 in long. One of the seeds was open enough it was about to send out the sprout top. I figured it was time for the soil. One seed was big (about to send out sprout), the other quite small. Both seem healthy.

So I had to finish up the tent to a point where I could place the germination dome in the tent. I still have to run the exhaust to a window, but it's ready to go otherwise.

After all of that (while I was hurting from a kidney stone.....I have lots of those) I prepared pots.

I mixed up my super secret soil recipe (1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 worm casting compost, 1/3 Scotts potting mix, with mychorrhizal fungi added). The potting mix already had perlite in it. I just want to make sure it drained well.

I saturated the soil after it was placed in peat cups. I then planted the seeds (root down), in a hole made with my small finger, and pressed the soil around the seed gently. The water was distilled, with nothing added.

They are now under the dome with the dome light running 18/6. Inside the dome, I have the water jug for thermal mass (slows down temperature swings), a bowl of water for humidity, and the plants. This is all still sitting on a germination mat set to 77 deg F. The temps shown were right after I got through. The system hadn't warmed back up.

I misted the soil this morning before I left.

Everything at this point seems to be moving forward correctly. I haven't used the fancy pH pen yet. I still need to calibrate it.

Hope to see something above soil this evening, but I think that may take a day or so.

Nice set up!

Did you dome them? If you didn't I'm not surprised. The peat pots dry out quickly. Mine are in a humidity dome for that reason. The solo cups hold better moisture, so in the open air, they will do better.

I'm working on a hypothesis at this point.....not real-world knowledge.

My peat cups will be planted pretty soon. When they come out of the dome, they will be in 3 gallon fabric pots.

I may find your recommendation accurate. But for now, I'll just have to stay the course. I'm not moving them at this point. I could drop the peat cup into a solo cup..... That might be a good idea. :thumb:

I'll drop one into a solo cup (the whole thing), then we have a control.....
Morning Bonsai

At first i didn't i just had all 6 (3-solo , 3 Peat) sitting under the light. Then as i got talking to another grower he told me he puts them under domes until they have 3 nodes. I did as he suggested and within a couple of days they doubled in size. I guess the added humidity is very important to early growth. But and there always seems to a but. Proof for me so far is the difference in size between the girls in the different pots.

Again a bit different how i planted mine as well. Once they had a good tap root ( Like shown in your picture i planted them directly into the soil no rock wool either.

Like you I am trying different things I've read on the internet plus listening to friends that used to grow for a living. So far i have made little mistakes, but knock on wood not anything that has been detrimental to the girls yet HAHA.

Its going to be great to see how it all works out.

Stay Frosty Bud :cool:

Last night I was hoping for sprouts, but nope, it didn't happen. Maybe in the next 24 hours or so. I did drop a peat cup into a solo cup. It didn't exactly fit the way I was expecting. It is actually "hanging" in the cup, so there is some room for water drainage.

Looks like they are trying to break through the soil, but not sure exactly. There seem to be some yellow greenish things in the soil, which I believe to be the top of a sprout. I didn't molest them though.

Maybe tonight they little ones will poke through.

Well, I don't care what the song says, baby beans DO grow!!!

I got my sprouts, so I'm calling today "day 1"

I was greeted last night with two baby sprouts. Both look pretty good, but the large seed's sprout was entangled with its seed casing. I decided that was my first chore. I removed the casing, carefully with a pair of tweezers. It wasn't really attached, but the sprout stalk had taken the shape of the seed casing half.

I decided the humidity was staying too high now that the sprouts were out of the soil. I opened the humidity dome vents to allow the dome to dry out some. I also removed the water jug and bowl to remove the water supply. (the jug dripped a little).

Now I just have to decide when to start using the large LED light. I'll wait until the dome is removed, which should be after we get true leaves (singles).

I checked the soil moisture with a moisture meter (got to love the wife and her flowers). The meter was halfway in the moist zone.

Now it's just talking to them and making them feel safe. They don't realize yet, they were born into the S&M zone. We will start whipping and chaining soon, for these girlies are dwarfs, and will need to be trained early.

Not much more to report. I haven't killed them yet, so that is a good start.

Haha to funny Bonsai. Beat those babies softly. maybe more like a nice tickle.

I would leave them under the dome for a bit longer. I found the high humidity built stronger roots and stems. If you think they are getting to hot try putting the dome on the last 3-4hrs of light and leaving it on during darkness this will help maintain humidity while still allowing the plants to breath. Also when they don't have the dome on make sure to add air movement. You want the plants to look like they are dancing this to helps with making a strong stem.

For me i put the LED on right away after they sprouted, but i didn't have cfls. keep them up about 24" so you don't heat stress. If you find the plants are getting bushy but not tall try to lift your lights to make plant stretch.

This was when i found myself playing with heights, amount of water i gave.

Just wanted to throw a bit of Nooby advice at yah Haha

Keep it Frosty Bud you are doing great!

Haha to funny Bonsai. Beat those babies softly. maybe more like a nice tickle.

With a feather??!!!

I would leave them under the dome for a bit longer. I found the high humidity built stronger roots and stems. If you think they are getting to hot try putting the dome on the last 3-4hrs of light and leaving it on during darkness this will help maintain humidity while still allowing the plants to breath. Also when they don't have the dome on make sure to add air movement. You want the plants to look like they are dancing this to helps with making a strong stem.

Yeah, it will be a few days. I want the leaves to start getting big to promote root growth before I remove the dome completely. The tent is in a humid environment already, so I'm worried about too much humidity. Not sure what the humidity normally runs, but it is high. (close to a lake, which makes the area humid). Yeah I knew about the fan, but thanks for making sure. It is an important step for a healthy stalk/stem.

For me i put the LED on right away after they sprouted, but i didn't have cfls. keep them up about 24" so you don't heat stress. If you find the plants are getting bushy but not tall try to lift your lights to make plant stretch.

I may use the large LED and keep it about 24 inches from the plant top. The PAR value there was in the 500's, according to the manufacturer.

This was when i found myself playing with heights, amount of water i gave.

Just wanted to throw a bit of Nooby advice at yah Haha

Keep it Frosty Bud you are doing great!

I'm using amoisture meter, so I think I'll work out a watering scheme pretty easily.

Thanks for taking the time to share you knowledge. It's why we are here. :thumb:

Day 2 (just counting days since sprout, not veg or flower).

Last night started pretty uneventfully. The babies are looking ok. They were actually looking very good this morning but I didn't take any pictures this morning, just two last night.

I have a problem I'm not sure I can solve.

I lowered my LED light to about 27 inches above the plant tops. I turned it on both switches for about 30 minutes. Oh boy that wasn't a good idea. My germination dome went from 79 deg F to 91 deg F. Then I let it cool off, reusing the fluorescent on the dome for a while. The next try was with the exhaust fan running, and the dome still got to 84 deg F.

I think I'm going to be growing at a temperature above optimum. I don't really have a way to cool the room, and can't really afford air conditioning or the power to run it.

Do the lurkers think a higher than normal temp will kill the grow?

Pictures from last night:

Hey Bud

My Temp during the dome period was about 86f RH 70-75% i didn't have issues, but i also took the domes off once a day as well just to give the plants a break. about 2hrs give or take.

Even now my tent is at 65f night 83f day time and running 35-60% rh. i think the big thing is make sure they get lots of fresh air and a cycle when they can cool down (lights off) they will acclimate to their environment.

From the looks of yours you are ok.

Keep it Frosty from one of the lurkers HAHA:cool::slide:

Hey Bud

My Temp during the dome period was about 86f RH 70-75% i didn't have issues, but i also took the domes off once a day as well just to give the plants a break. about 2hrs give or take.

Even now my tent is at 65f night 83f day time and running 35-60% rh. i think the big thing is make sure they get lots of fresh air and a cycle when they can cool down (lights off) they will acclimate to their environment.

From the looks of yours you are ok.

Keep it Frosty from one of the lurkers HAHA:cool::slide:

Thanks Sly,

That puts me a little more at ease. I'm somewhat committed at this point, for I don't want to waste the seeds. I guess most of my growing will be done in winter from this point forward.

I take the dome off and talk to the little gals every evening. I find it sort of weird, but I like doing it. Funny, I have no medication right now, so I'm just some sober guy talking to two small plants. o_O

You'll be ok talking to them and you might notice they wink at you occasionally.

Not likely that you've hurt them at all but run only the grow switch until they go to bloom. You'll be amazed in a few short days here how well they perform. At some point you'll want to put an oscillation fan in there just to move the air around and help with stem strength.

They are looking healthy and robust.

Thanks, I've not done much, sort of on autopilot excluding the temp issue.

The girls look good!

Also sitting and talking to them allows you to give them some CO2, so you are supplementing their growth with your breath. Tell the wife it’s cheaper than buying more stuff if she hassles you. Lol

Yeah....plus I think they like me.... wife doesn't hassle..... but also doesn't want me to buy anything else for now. :D

You'll be ok talking to them and you might notice they wink at you occasionally.

Not likely that you've hurt them at all but run only the grow switch until they go to bloom. You'll be amazed in a few short days here how well they perform. At some point you'll want to put an oscillation fan in there just to move the air around and help with stem strength.

I have a fan for the little girls. I just have to get them out of the dome first. That is coming. Just trying to let them get a little bigger first.

Back
Top Bottom