Bud Washing

Not sure what to make of these 2 comments, I don't understand the first and the second conflicts.
I should expect it to be quicker to dry? but that's not good?
My morning is still a little too foggy today, if you guys could, I need some clarification on those comments please:tokin:

Next question, harvest is in about a week. 2 girls that impregnated themselves.
Ultimately not a huge concern, but I would like to salvage the seeds she bears.
Genes are nothing special, 10yr old bag seed (that bag was loaded with seeds, as are these 2 girls)
Sampling a gram has very comfortable effects, so I'm indulging maybe a bit.
Typically a gram a day, 1.5 when indulging. But I wake up foggy in a haze, eyes like effort to open. Ass handed to me.
Maybe these seeds are something I should be keeping tucked away for a rainy day, experiments and gettin the occasional spanking.
It would be a shame to wash them away, damage viability, or activate them in the washing.
Will the wash hurt them or should I attempt plucking some?
Does it come down to either clean smoke or seeds, can't have both?

Thanx in advance guys!:thumb:

RE washing: do it. You'll never skip it. As far as clarification of the comments, I can't speak for the negative view as there is only positive outcomes from washing produce. Caveat: this assumes you're drying your buds after the wash and that your drying area has sensible temps and rH. 60-70 F 50-60 rH.

Seeds. Do they sprout on the plant when it rains? NO! Wash immediately upon harvest, hang and dry.

Something about the warm/cold soak, hydrating the plant tissues after they've been cut ... it has an effect on drying and curing. As you go through the thread, you'll see that I was one of the first to notice and point this out. After a wash, the branches are wet and heavy - they feel "swollen" in your palm. So you think to yourself "ho boy, this might be a problem". :cheesygrinsmiley: Wet, soggy, mold ... etc. :thedoubletake: But no! Oddly enough, they don't take any longer to dry, they have no more damping issues than dry branches, and the drying seems to go more uniformly. It doesn't necessarily dry faster - it dries better. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The plant tissues absorb water from the wash. I don't recall anyone saying that they preferred a non-washed dry/cure.

It's so ... smooooooooth. :yahoo:

The seeds will be fine, but you'll lose some in the wash water. I've had them floating around on the surface after I've finished.

LOL
This just blows my mind.
So no worries, no holds bar, just gotta do it.
I trust you guys. I'll be doing it, Like I said, not overly concerned about the seeds so to lose a few I'll take it.

Yes, I will be drying it. Yesterday watched a panel interview thing with Ed Rosenthal talking about the dry/cure.
He seems pretty adamant about getting temps down to 45 F and RH around 70% up to 80%. I'm not aiming that low for temps or that high for RH.

Built my box 1.5' x 1.5' x 1.5'
Cut squares and loosely stapled dollar store shower curtain to the outsides and bottom. Not sealed tight so air can exchange. About 8 lines to hang strung across the top.
Putting the box through a few paces now to see what I'm going to be working with.
It's hovering at 70 F right now, target I'd like 55-60 F, and with a wet paper towel laying in the bottom getting 60% RH (hygrometer hanging like a bud in there). Once I have actual plant, (and fresh washed) I assume I won't need the paper towel until a few days into the dry.

Unless there's something wrong with that line of thinking, I think I got this under control.
:Namaste:Thanx again guys!:thanks:
I'll update here once I've done the deed, and in my thread for those following along.

LOL
This just blows my mind.
So no worries, no holds bar, just gotta do it.
I trust you guys. I'll be doing it, Like I said, not overly concerned about the seeds so to lose a few I'll take it.

Yes, I will be drying it. Yesterday watched a panel interview thing with Ed Rosenthal talking about the dry/cure.
He seems pretty adamant about getting temps down to 45 F and RH around 70% up to 80%. I'm not aiming that low for temps or that high for RH.

Built my box 1.5' x 1.5' x 1.5'
Cut squares and loosely stapled dollar store shower curtain to the outsides and bottom. Not sealed tight so air can exchange. About 8 lines to hang strung across the top.
Putting the box through a few paces now to see what I'm going to be working with.
It's hovering at 70 F right now, target I'd like 55-60 F, and with a wet paper towel laying in the bottom getting 60% RH (hygrometer hanging like a bud in there). Once I have actual plant, (and fresh washed) I assume I won't need the paper towel until a few days into the dry.

Unless there's something wrong with that line of thinking, I think I got this under control.
:Namaste:Thanx again guys!:thanks:
I'll update here once I've done the deed, and in my thread for those following along.

Just check the rH in that box every hour the first day. As for the low temps and long dry.....there's definitely something to that. It's more difficult to pull off, but is probably worth it.

Once you wash the buds and take the first hits of that clean smoke you're not going to believe it.

DrZiggy has been curing that way lately - a method he calls low n slow - low temps, strong humidity ... :thumb:

I'm too lazy, so far. :cheesygrinsmiley: I let mine do most of the cure in the jar.

Which reminds me! I got into an old jar of Panama that I hadn't opened in over a year (in the dark in the mid 60s degrees). When I popped the lid I got a pungent blast of over-ripe citrus. It was originally a cedar/pine aroma. The Boveda was still pretty plump, so I think it cured in high(er) humidity. Interesting terpene development. And it smokes as strong and smooth as ever.

:slide:

DrZiggy has been curing that way lately - a method he calls low n slow - low temps, strong humidity ... :thumb:

I'm too lazy, so far. :cheesygrinsmiley: I let mine do most of the cure in the jar.

Which reminds me! I got into an old jar of Panama that I hadn't opened in over a year (in the dark in the mid 60s degrees). When I popped the lid I got a pungent blast of over-ripe citrus. It was originally a cedar/pine aroma. The Boveda was still pretty plump, so I think it cured in high(er) humidity. Interesting terpene development. And it smokes as strong and smooth as ever.

:slide:

GT..maybe you can try a jar in your fridge.. :)
I checked my humidity level in my 'fridge. 45% ..temps vary depending on level in fridge, and how crowded the shelf.
.. :idea:

...sometimes my ideas get me in trouble. :)

How'd you do the split screen photos of those beauties? :)

Like that Zig, huh, boy was i happy once i uploaded the first one and it came out correctly on this site.

It's an app for my Droid, but i bet i phones can get it, anyway, i use or found it via Instagram. It's called layout, it interfaces with Instagram. I'm happy i found it, good luck looking for it my friend....

Doc Bud covered temp/humidity to dry in. He always mentions the importance of the enviroment. Follow that and you won't have to worry. I washed once last summer and wasn't able to monitor it throughout the day. It was over dry in 3 days. Unwashed was done in 7. Unwashed smoked much better that time, the washed/fast dried was given away. What I said wasn't meant as a "negative" but a caution.

I know a few large operations who spray ro water every day or two while the plants are alive. I do it occasionally to mimic rainfall and raise humidity when needed.

If you spray (other than just water) plants with buds on them, I would recommend washing them. If you have some bugs; or a tiny amount of PM and its only personal bud, wash it! Guerilla outdoor, wash it.

I eat fruits and veggies straight from my garden. Shake and wipe off, maybe run under the hose, then eat.

Some swear by washing, others don't. Give it a try, see if its for you.

Like that Zig, huh, boy was i happy once i uploaded the first one and it came out correctly on this site.

It's an app for my Droid, but i bet i phones can get it, anyway, i use or found it via Instagram. It's called layout, it interfaces with Instagram. I'm happy i found it, good luck looking for it my friend....

It is very easy to use and has plenty of options. I also am happy with it.

Something about the warm/cold soak, hydrating the plant tissues after they've been cut ... it has an effect on drying and curing. As you go through the thread, you'll see that I was one of the first to notice and point this out. After a wash, the branches are wet and heavy - they feel "swollen" in your palm. So you think to yourself "ho boy, this might be a problem". :cheesygrinsmiley: Wet, soggy, mold ... etc. :thedoubletake: But no! Oddly enough, they don't take any longer to dry, they have no more damping issues than dry branches, and the drying seems to go more uniformly. It doesn't necessarily dry faster - it dries better. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The plant tissues absorb water from the wash. I don't recall anyone saying that they preferred a non-washed dry/cure.

It's so ... smooooooooth. :yahoo:

The seeds will be fine, but you'll lose some in the wash water. I've had them floating around on the surface after I've finished.

I have never had a 'grassy' dry after washing.. quite the opposite. When using a vape one can really taste the improved quality - but I prefer bubblers and water pipes ... and edibles :cheer: Yay edibles :cheer:

My wife won't smoke unwashed bud unless except to be polite when sharing a bowl.

- - -

The seeds floating on the wash water surface sound like the ripest seeds that would be most likely to germinate.

I use a free android program called PhotoCollage (Bud growth, 3/31 - 4/5)

2016-04-05_23_45_00.jpg

It has about 100 pre-shaped 'window' patterns

2016-01-01_15_51_08.jpg

Doc Bud covered temp/humidity to dry in. He always mentions the importance of the enviroment. Follow that and you won't have to worry.

I can't seem to find this, sorry, I'm probably not searching properly. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I think my dry box is gonna be just fine, but I'd like to read what Doc has to say about it. Make final tweaks based on his direction.

Caveat: this assumes you're drying your buds after the wash and that your drying area has sensible temps and rH. 60-70 F 50-60 rH.

Seeds. Do they sprout on the plant when it rains? NO! Wash immediately upon harvest, hang and dry.

My bad. Forgive my foggy mornings.
I gotta stop going on here in the mornings.
(Or is there a "hair of the dog" I don't know about?)
My first harvest is nigh, and the samples are most bountiful with very potent trichs, or so I am learning. (starting to wonder wtf is gonna happen after a PROPER wash... dry...and then cure for FULL effect)

I washed exactly as Doc recommeneded with superb results...regards to the end of my first response...i did grow a lemon kush for its lemon phenos but as a new experiment i chose a few of my strawberry cough branches to dip only the stems not buds into water with a 100% all natural organic lemon extract into the water that allows the stem to suck up the water by capillary action... i found a noticable difference in the taste of those that sat in the water for a few hours before going to hang to dry after a light trim compared to the steawberry cough branches that wasnt placed into water.

I will be taking a few sample buds tonight and washing them.

Any preference on how to mix the bucket containing the baking soda and lemon juice, or does it not matter? Water, then baking soda and then lemon juice???

I don't think the order is very important. I've settled on putting the liquid lemon juice in first, then dumping the soda in and mixing it around. I don' know if it makes much difference but I try to get the branches into the water soon after mixing the baking soda in, to try to capture some of that early foaming action. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Graytail

I will do the same then. Light comes on in 10 min. By tomorrow, I should be sampling some nice clean green.

I will be taking a few sample buds tonight and washing them.

Any preference on how to mix the bucket containing the baking soda and lemon juice, or does it not matter? Water, then baking soda and then lemon juice???

Water first, then the active ingredients. I don't know the chemistry, but the baking soda seems to disolve better wth water, lemon juice, then baking soda.

I use a prewash bucket/busbin with just cool water, then a bucket/busbin with cup of bottle lemon juice and cup of Baking soda dissolved and filled, then a bucket/busbin rinse of plain water.

You are a rebel :) Aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom