Bud Washing

Gotta appreciate the irony in people being opinionated ignorants;)

I still hear stuff like: LED lights are worthless for growing, Autoflowers are useless, only trust this breeder all the others are scam artists - always coming from people who never tried the stuff they trash.

People always do have opinions and each to their own. What works for 1 doesnt work for another. Have seen grows with LED's - they look magic. Autoflowers - i know someone that can pull 400+g from an autoflower growing in nft. Bud washing for me - am for it. Still on the fence with my last grow but it cant harm the final product.

We all have our own methods and have something to smoke once done, that the main reason. We all get advice on here when we encounter problems. If it aint broke then it dont need fixed.

Last years yard grow I did three washes. First one was a half cup of baking soda to 5 gal. 2nd was a 1/4 cup bsoda-5gal and the last was an 1/8 cup-5 gal. All has a 1/4 cup lemon juice too. Ive got baking soda residue off the first batch. You can taste it. I followed the utube vid. I rinsed good. Thats my experience with bud washing. Sucks. But my minds not closed is why I post this. Maybe I did something wrong? I followed directions to the T. 4D

Last years yard grow I did three washes. First one was a half cup of baking soda to 5 gal. 2nd was a 1/4 cup bsoda-5gal and the last was an 1/8 cup-5 gal. All has a 1/4 cup lemon juice too. Ive got baking soda residue off the first batch. You can taste it. I followed the utube vid. I rinsed good. Thats my experience with bud washing. Sucks. But my minds not closed is why I post this. Maybe I did something wrong? I followed directions to the T. 4D

You could always try it following the directions in this thread ...

I bet a lot of other methods suck. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You're the very first person to ever talk about baking soda taste. Jus' sayin' ... y'know?

[Edit] I see that I mis-read your post - that was flip of me, sorry. Dunno ... no one else has complained of that. :hmmmm:

Gotta appreciate the irony in people being opinionated ignorants;)

I still hear stuff like: LED lights are worthless for growing, Autoflowers are useless, only trust this breeder all the others are scam artists - always coming from people who never tried the stuff they trash.
I've personally never tried bud washing. So I can't say, one way or the other. But I don't see how anything can be washed off those gluey colas ? I will try a washed cola soon as I want to experience the difference in taste, that folks are talking about. If there's some improvement, then hell yes, I'll wash from then on, but I'm not washing to cleanse the weed. My intake is screened, all my fans are cleaned, and I don't spray, and room outside my tents are kept as dust free as possible.
I would agree that leds are worthless, if it was stated that leds are worthless, unless you want to spend 1000s of $$ for them, For enough to replace one 1000w hps. Some of the cheap leds are good veg lights, but can't flower with them. I have to agree with the LEDs becoming of age recently, but the price tag is and will be a problem, for the average consumer. And I don't think the commercial growers are lining up to buy LEDs. I think whats gonna be the new go to lighting is the lec cmh, technology is on the move !! Just my 2 cents .

You could always try it following the directions in this thread ...

I bet a lot of other methods suck. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You're the very first person to ever talk about baking soda taste. Jus' sayin' ... y'know?

[Edit] I see that I mis-read your post - that was flip of me, sorry. Dunno ... no one else has complained of that. :hmmmm:

Ok Graytail, I went back to this threads first page. It dosent say the ratio for baking soda or vinegar. I used Pigeons 420 mag utube video for instruction when I washed. Pigeons said use one rinse bucket so the using the three at certain temps like this thread says is probably a big reason it has residue. I went lighter on the B.soda than Pigeons suggested. I also used big 5 gal tubs not buckets for procedure which also could cause residue because theyres no area/room for the soda to settle. I got to pick through and separate the washed and the discolored bud next to the mold that Im going to bubble hash. Im hoping it rids the taste of baking soda. If I ever budwash again I will use hardly any baking soda/vinegar and most importantly, rinse like this threads suggests. Im sure bud washing has its purpose when done properly. like to rid bugs and chemicals. I believe you Graytail. Too many veterans here swear by it to be shit. I have a feeling I did not do it properly. How are the newbies supposed to know the bsoda/vinegar ratio from this thread??? Did I miss this important info?? Great day! 4D

Ok Graytail, I went back to this threads first page. It dosent say the ratio for baking soda or vinegar. I used Pigeons 420 mag utube video for instruction when I washed. Pigeons said use one rinse bucket so the using the three at certain temps like this thread says is probably a big reason it has residue. I went lighter on the B.soda than Pigeons suggested. I also used big 5 gal tubs not buckets for procedure which also could cause residue because theyres no area/room for the soda to settle. I got to pick through and separate the washed and the discolored bud next to the mold that Im going to bubble hash. Im hoping it rids the taste of baking soda. If I ever budwash again I will use hardly any baking soda/vinegar and most importantly, rinse like this threads suggests. Im sure bud washing has its purpose when done properly. like to rid bugs and chemicals. I believe you Graytail. Too many veterans here swear by it to be shit. I have a feeling I did not do it properly. How are the newbies supposed to know the bsoda/vinegar ratio from this thread??? Did I miss this important info?? Great day! 4D

Does this thread even mention vinegar? Baking soda and LEMON JUICE. I have used baking soda and lime juice. If you have baking soda granules precipitating out of the water it's because it was not reacting with the lemon juice.

Baking soda and vinegar is for making artificial volcanos and bottle rockets - not bud washing.

Yes it seems like you missed quite a lot ;)

I'm glad to see people are adopting my bud washing technique!

Yes, I "invented" it. I shared it with you folks here on 420....and nowhere else. I've never met, spoken to, or heard about anyone else doing it before I tried it.....and I enjoy freaking people out by putting fresh buds in a bucket of water....

But as many have said here, the results speak for themselves!

Let me put it to you like this:

Let's say I grew lettuce, cucumbers, tomatos and carrots in my basement. It's dusty down there, I've got fans flowing all around....battled with some PM, had some mites.....every now and then I get some rot or other disease on my plants....bugs flying around, dead skin cells, hair.....and I spray the plants with compost tea, fish fertilizer, kelp meal, etc.

So, you wanna come over for a salad? We'll just pull the veggies out of the ground, plop 'em in a bowl and start eating! No need to wash.....right?

The first time you wash your harvest and see all that brown crap left behind you'll begin to see the light! Then, when you smoke your first washed harvest, you'll understand.

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

Final manicure of buds is best done after they dry. It goes very fast and you're left with washed, highly resinous trim....makes superb joints. I'm also educating my customers to select untrimmed buds, which are actually better than the manicured ones because they still have sugar leaves attached. The trichomes in the leaves have more THC than those in the buds.....so it's good to get the whole spectrum in there.

I give instructions for this in my journals, as I do it every single week, on every single harvest. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

This works so well for a couple reasons:

1. takes off dirt, foliar sprays, bugs, fiberglass dust, etc.
2. fully hydrates the leaves, allowing photosynthesis to occur for a day or two on cut and trimmed buds. I recommend leaving a light on the buds for the first day or two after washing.

This results in very, dense, clean burning, smooth tasting produce! That's the basic recipe....and I'm tweaking and changing it all the time.

Warning: Do NOT use an "organic produce wash" that is based on oils! They sell these in grocery stores and health food stores, and while they might be good for lettuce and cukes....the oil removes resin from the plants.....don't use it!

Water will not harm resin....oil can and does.

Anyone who wants to know more about my methods is welcome to ask me about them anytime!

Ok kids... lottsa info out there on bud washing... I never did it before because too lazy. I had one plant that I just harvested that was infested with aphids ... not bad but they were on a lot of lower buds and petioles and stems... looked under the loop to positively ID those buggers... they are GROSS... I get itchy just thinking about it.

Anywho so I did the warm water with backing soda and lemon juice... 1tbs of each in a 3 gal bucket..... then rinsed with cold water, then rinsed with RO water. Hang to dry with a fan on it.

I of course treated the plant with my usual IPM which I try not to do before harvest if I don't have to. I had to spray the plant with some neem oil and also spinosad.. both biodegradable and organic, but there was a lot of dead bugs still in the plant. Since I got a close up view of the bugs, I felt compelled to wash them off. Glad I did... man the first washing the water was filled with all sorts of crap and an oily film on top of the water.

For me it was a no-brainer ... get the bugs off and the residual oils from the IPM. I've tasted buds with neem on them before... yeah that tastes like shit for sure.

So my question is this. Instead of using baking soda and lemon juice or maybe even in addition to them, has anyone tried washing in water with some soap nuts. We wash everything with soap nuts. It's completely harmless and actually beneficial for plants that are alive too.. Can water plants with a mild solution of soap nuts and water .... its fine. So I was wondering why not use it to wash buds in?? Soap nuts are well saponin from the Saponin tree!! Actually VERY healthy for humans so why not wash buds with it??

I don't think we've really explored other options, other than the leaf wash from SNS.

The trick of course, is to get cleansing action without harming the trichome structures, and that depends somewhat on the residue we're trying to clean off. I suspect you wouldn't ask about soapnuts if they had any solvent effect. :cheesygrinsmiley: Beyond that, I don't see how a soap wouldn't be better. But then one might also wonder why commercial leaf washes aren't soap-based.

Ok, I just did some quick research - scanned about 5 pages of listings ...

I see nothing other than "surfactant" mentioned - nothing about any solvent action. So, I think that's an interesting option. If I had any around, I'd try a wash by adding a couple nuts to the lemon juice and baking soda, right? That should help release more gunk from the produce. Or would you want it in the rinse water. :hmmmm: A surfactant shouldn't have any effect on the trichs themselves - it merely releases surface tension to help foreign matter separate from surfaces. The only thing that gave me pause was a mention that it's triterpene based - wouldn't want to mess with the plant's own terpenes.

You should give it a test! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Wouldn't a surfactant soften the trichomes themselves and potentially degrade the outer wall?

There are surfactants in the foliars we spray on the plants ... :hmmmm:

B.Brown, 1 table spoon per 3 gal of each, L.Juice, B.soda?? Thats where I messed up but then I re read Doc Buds method and he says 1 cup per 5 gal.?? Im confused. The tbl. spoon per 3 gal seems like a much better ratio. All I know is it fucked my weed up at a 1/2 cup per 5 gal. They were the big main buds too. I can only see washing if bug infested. And also Bud Rot and WPM maybe. I had some bud rot that dident get washed and I made butter out of it and it made me sick as shit. I used pidgeons 420 mag utube video as reference. Id bet money the video is like Doc Buds recommendation of 1 cup b.soda per 5 gal and I did half.
Heres a pic of the weed that made me sick. Its the brown area next to the budrot. I threw all the rot away. Youd think the 6hr simmer would kill all but not!
20170603_141455.jpg
20170603_141422.jpg

Since this threads about curing too I found a great method to share. Dude at the growshop said cure in turkey bag. I followed Nebulas idea of hanging till the small branches brake but big ones bend. I bought a humidity reader from pet smart and put that in the turkey bag. I burped the bag every day until the hum. gauge read a solid 60 deg for a few days. Then Jarred it. Its cured beautifully!!!
Much easier to burp a turkey bag than a case of jars.

i haven't heard of anyone having baking soda issues if B. soda was dissolved, buds were washed and rinsed properly..

:Namaste:

So Ziggy you think the 2 tablespoon per 3 gal is better than Docs 1 cup per 5 gal???? Your right I dident do it right it, it stayed on the buds. Each wash I did less B.soda and it got better. Im not sure what to do with this pot?? Make water hash?? Butter??? Its got B.soda residue. Do I think washing is crap, no. I think its good for certain circumstances when done properly. I guess I should of washed the brown bud next to the rot cause it made me sick as shit made into butter.

So Ziggy you think the 2 tablespoon per 3 gal is better than Docs 1 cup per 5 gal???? Your right I dident do it right it, it stayed on the buds. Each wash I did less B.soda and it got better. Im not sure what to do with this pot?? Make water hash?? Butter??? Its got B.soda residue. Do I think washing is crap, no. I think its good for certain circumstances when done properly. I guess I should of washed the brown bud next to the rot cause it made me sick as shit made into butter.

no.. Doc's recipe is what I've learned to follow and love. I try not to smoke unwashed weed. Only do so when traveling abroad and High Brix grown produce isn't available.
im a 420 S.N.O.B.
:)

So my question is this. Instead of using baking soda and lemon juice or maybe even in addition to them, has anyone tried washing in water with some soap nuts. We wash everything with soap nuts. It's completely harmless and actually beneficial for plants that are alive too.. Can water plants with a mild solution of soap nuts and water .... its fine. So I was wondering why not use it to wash buds in?? Soap nuts are well saponin from the Saponin tree!! Actually VERY healthy for humans so why not wash buds with it??

Sounds like an idea I'd try.

All you are doing is sudsing, agitating, and rinsing :)

How much lemon juice ws with that baking soda? 2 ingredients there working together.

Back
Top Bottom