Buds smelling musty?

James427

What's up? I'm a bit worried about my plants buds. It's about 3 or so weeks into flower (after switching to 12\12) and she has some decent sized button buds I guess they would be? Well they look pretty good and have a nice aroma near the bottom but the top colas ( ?don't know if it could be called a cola yet because they are still very small) smell like a dirty towel or something almost like they may be starting to rot or mold? I don't know if bad bagseed will smell like this it's literally like stagnent dirty laundry that sat. The plant otherwise is healthy aside from a phosphorous deficiency I'm working through. The temps are topically in the upper 70s to mid 80s and RH is around 40ish % usually around 35% especially now that I have a dehumidifier in the room. Problem is the first 1-2 weeks the RH was in the upper 40% range at times I don't know if that caused my buds to have problems. I always have the central air running moving are in my room where the tent is and a 400cfm fan in the tent pulling cool fresh air from the room and blowing towards my door so I don't think what air is my problem I think it's humidity. Also I just started a real nute regiment giving around 2.5 ml of grow big and tiger Bloom and calmag+ but 3ml of big bloom. For a plant in a 3.7 gallon pot(fully filled the pot out) this far into flower (also has been almost a month sense TP with new FFOF soil so I know it's not as hot) what's a good ppm feeding by now?
Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks
Grow info:

What strain? Reggie Bagseed
Is it indica sativa or hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid unknown percentages
How many plants? 1 plant
Is it in veg or flower? Flower
If in flower how long? About 3 weeks
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or hydro? Soil
If soil what's in your mix? FFOF cut with 35% perlite.
If soil what sized pot? 3.72 gallon
Size wattage of light how many? 1 600 watt hps on 50% power. Trying to up the power but heat gets to high.
Is it air cooled? No
Temperature of room cabinet? 75-88 degrees lights on. 66-75 lights of
pH of medium or reservoir? 6.0-6.3 runoff always 6.5-6.6 going in.
Any pests? Not that I know off. Saw some gnats a while ago in the room
How often are you watering? Around 1 every 2-3 days depending on conditions. Hotter temps dry the soil much fastertype and strength of fertilizers used? FF nute trio big bloom tiger Bloom and grow big as well as cal mag+. Around 2.5 to 3 ml for a 400ppm feeding
Size or square footage of room? 3x3x6.1 foot tent.

I'm pretty sure im OK as far as the smell goes but I'm really lost right now on what's a good ppm feeding. Right now I'm feeding with around a 580 ppm feeding 3.5ml grow big 5 ml big bloom 5 ml of tiger Bloom and 5 ml or cal mag+. pH the water to 6.6 but I tested the runoff in its drain pan and it's 5.7 pH and 715 ppms. I'm thinking I'm gonna do a flush next time she's ready for a watering. Any ideas on a good ppm this far into flower? She seemed to use 80% of the 450ppm feeding I gave last time. I've got several leaves curling up and dying with a harsh phosphorous deficiency. So I think I might have a soil pH problem. Not good in flower especially.

Musty is fine, this is actually a normal aspect of a particular strain's flavor/scent profile. Various strains start off musty and then produce a more refined taste/flavor as they mature. Particularly for the pure sativas I have noticed they begin with a nice musty scent. Although, if one hasn't smelled it before, I can see how it would be a bit intriguing :thumb:

Musty is fine, this is actually a normal aspect of a particular strain's flavor/scent profile. Various strains start off musty and then produce a more refined taste/flavor as they mature. Particularly for the pure sativas I have noticed they begin with a nice musty scent. Although, if one hasn't smelled it before, I can see how it would be a bit intriguing :thumb:

Thanks for your input! It's really good to hear that the smell can be normal. It is a reggie bagseed my friend said the bud kind of had this smell to it but was just a very strong smelly sativa.

My girl and i thought i had a leak for awhile because the whole house smelled like mildew. Then it changed to a diesel fuel smell, then skunky.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

My girl and i thought i had a leak for awhile because the whole house smelled like mildew. Then it changed to a diesel fuel smell, then skunky.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Your humidity levels are only what I dream of!!...lolool...40 ish is good...I deal with much higher...air flow is key...not sure you need the dehummer!??...cheerz...h00k...

Thanks for the replies it really does help out me at ease. The buds are doing exactly what you said. Starting to smell more sour and skinny now so I'm pretty confident I'm gonna really be seeing them fill out in the next few weeks. dr.h00k I was getting some supply's from my local hydro guy and he said the same thing air flow is really key to preventing mold and keeping phresh clean air circulating. He said he usually doesn't worry unless he's well into the 60-70℅ range and has air flow problems. Guess I am over reacting a bit with a dehumidifier lol. But being my first grow and how far I'm in I was definitely worried when I smelt musty buds. Lol

Back
Top Bottom