Bulb help

neon green

Upgrading my op. Looking for opinions on mid range priced bulbs. I've used the baddass bulbs and love them, but since they don't make them anymore I need an alternative. I noticed there were no bulb sponsors. I'm leaning toward Ushio, about $30-60 max. I can't justify more on a bulb, unless someone can convince me that a $100 is that much better than the $30 bulb. Kind of like a $20 harbor freight socket set compared to a $400 snapon set.

Not sure where you are, but I either run the $20 cheap bulbs or Eye Hortilux which I get for $60 new on eBay. Not sure what you are paying $100 for, but dump it and get Eye Hortilux.

Upgrading my op. Looking for opinions on mid range priced bulbs. I've used the baddass bulbs and love them, but since they don't make them anymore I need an alternative. I noticed there were no bulb sponsors. I'm leaning toward Ushio, about $30-60 max. I can't justify more on a bulb, unless someone can convince me that a $100 is that much better than the $30 bulb. Kind of like a $20 harbor freight socket set compared to a $400 snapon set.

are you talking HPS?

Im a fan of Phillips. They just get the job done.

Phillips have been around before most of us were knee high to a grasshopper.

They have more funding for research than almost anyone.

They might not be the best today, but you will be happy with the results if you grow right.

Kiwiiwik

Im in phx and The grow shop I go to charges about $100 for a hortilux. I can't go anywhere else because the next closest shop ripped us off pretty bad over 2 shipments of nutes and merch. Amazons an option but I'm needing something tomarrow and want to keep money in the neighborhood with the little guys. I would love to see a Phillips bulbs spectrum and color temp. Any specific bulb from them you use?

Im in phx and The grow shop I go to charges about $100 for a hortilux. I can't go anywhere else because the next closest shop ripped us off pretty bad over 2 shipments of nutes and merch. Amazons an option but I'm needing something tomarrow and want to keep money in the neighborhood with the little guys. I would love to see a Phillips bulbs spectrum and color temp. Any specific bulb from them you use?

You will be happy with Ushio they are good bulbs, ive used them with great success.

600 watt Phillips.

Philips-master-green-power-Son-t-600W-spectral-power-distribution.jpg

Kiwiiwik

but seriously light/lamp distance to plant is more important than spectrum, Any modern HID grow lamp 400 watt and above can max out a plants maximum chlorophyll production within the needed spectrum which is wide if hung at the correct distance from the plants and the wattage is suited for the height for plant penetration even if the spectrum isn't perfectly ideal.

plants are highly adaptive to using various light spectrums.

you achieve nothing more by getting a bulb with a better spectrum unless you plan on hanging it higher than it should be.

although this is less correct with lamps like led and cmh which put out UV light too which damages chlorophyll which must be replaced by the plant.

In fact even sunlight damages chlorophyll massively and cells must be replaced often, thus outside i use Megafol | Valagro

which you may or may not be able to buy in your country.

This is why HPS lights are able to be lowered with more success (other than heat) than other grow lights without causing chlorophyll damage.

HPS is the King of lighting for multiple reasons. lack of UV damage, good penetration, cost effective, and provides radiant heat, which cannabis plants love, radiant warmth is different to temperature and plants respond differently to it.

one disadvantage of LEDS is they do not produce radiant heat. radiant heat also moves air.

as above post im a fan of Phillips because its what i know, I can achieve 1.6 grams per watt in SOG,(some stems i.e un-trimmed heads but ) what more do you want.

Im close to kick starting a new grow which will hopefully prove this using unknown clones (probably poor genetics)

Im trying to clone these straight in hydroton for the first time. 3 have roots already the others dont, as soon as i turn on the hps they wilt, so using a 8 watt purple tube until the others grow some feet.

20160123_150858.jpg

This will be a 600 watt hps veg with a 1200 watt flower in a 93 cm x 93 cm ebb and flow tray in a 1.2 x 1.2 meter tent.

and is just for fun and giggles.

Kiwiiwik

Back
Top Bottom