Buysser's Very First Grow - Mars II 1600 Watt Attic Grow Using Growology

Your efforts are certainly commendable and impressive. You've transformed the area into a classy, useful productive place. Ideal temps are one thing, but having environmental controls in place was the primary goal for kicking off my first grow and having upper and lower limits at least within a decent range is a good path. I'd try the AC route first, and as long as you can exhaust the heat exchanged in there you'll get it. More money, but quicker and an easier fix in most cases as long as your breakers can take the load.

You do your thing, but I like to plug all my seeds before their tails get too long. Those tender little taproots are vulnerable.

Looking good b.

Your efforts are certainly commendable and impressive. You've transformed the area into a classy, useful productive place. Ideal temps are one thing, but having environmental controls in place was the primary goal for kicking off my first grow and having upper and lower limits at least within a decent range is a good path. I'd try the AC route first, and as long as you can exhaust the heat exchanged in there you'll get it. More money, but quicker and an easier fix in most cases as long as your breakers can take the load.

You do your thing, but I like to plug all my seeds before their tails get too long. Those tender little taproots are vulnerable.

Looking good b.

Thanks gov. I feel like I plugged them pretty quick for the same reason. They were in the water for 48 hrs and had definetly cracked open with a root. Tender loving care

I do almost same as KJC described in his journal. I use Rapid Rooters and use a syringe to water them for a week or so. I usually put a small amount of grow nutrient in the water for ~50-75ppm for a week or so and once I see any protrusion, I put them in the medium. I'll continue with a syringe for a few more days usually watering and/or checking several times each day. I want the plug to stay moist is all.

I do almost same as KJC described in his journal. I use Rapid Rooters and use a syringe to water them for a week or so. I usually put a small amount of grow nutrient in the water for ~50-75ppm for a week or so and once I see any protrusion, I put them in the medium. I'll continue with a syringe for a few more days usually watering and/or checking several times each day. I want the plug to stay moist is all.

Thanks gov..... so your lights are on with the plugs?

Yes. Really only for simplicity though. I raise my LED to the highest point and let it grow like that for a week or so as well. I have a 4x2' T5 panel that I got strictly for veg and I haven't ever used it. I was even too lazy to switch out the lights so just went onward with the LED. They seemed to like it just fine and while the first 2 weeks of life for my plants is filled with anxiety, I've had every bean pop and grow and never had any issues in the seedling/early growth stages so it must be fine.

Yes. Really only for simplicity though. I raise my LED to the highest point and let it grow like that for a week or so as well. I have a 4x2' T5 panel that I got strictly for veg and I haven't ever used it. I was even too lazy to switch out the lights so just went onward with the LED. They seemed to like it just fine and while the first 2 weeks of life for my plants is filled with anxiety, I've had every bean pop and grow and never had any issues in the seedling/early growth stages so it must be fine.

I just put them on a 18 / 6 schedule under fluorescents. The tips are growing like crazy but are sticking out if the hole on a couple of them. I've got nothing to compare it with. Should I turn the roots bottom down or not worry about it. Newbie stuff

Looks like a couple have spun around in that hole. Should I pick them out and right them stem down..??
20140718_182700.jpg

Nope. Only thing I'd say at this point is don't over water and keep an eye on the membrane that lines the inner shell as I've seen many lately (including both of my last grows) that didn't shed the membrane preventing the cotyledon leaves from opening. I used some reading glasses and tweezers to remove them and they took right off. I felt leaving it on would have doomed them.

Looks like a couple have spun around in that hole. Should I pick them out and right them stem down..??
20140718_182700.jpg

You should re orient the seedling to the proper orientation tap root down.

so I went in this morning and looked at them and think they look worse than they did last night and I'm thinking it's because I had the light to close so I removed the membranes and re orientated the tap roots, give them a little drink move the lights up and wishing the best for today. Classic newbie error
20140719_100350.jpg

What are you using as your light source? I keep Compact Florescent Light bulbs 5"-6" from the plant. I keep 4' Florescent tubes and T5 Florescent tubes 2"-3" from the canopy.

is a compact fluorescent bulb that I had about 3 inches from last night and it looks like it burnt them so I move them up to about 16 inches now. Flailing. Thanks king

Remember if you are using Rapid Rooter plugs to keep them moist each day.

Yes, and I even tear off a little chunk from the edge and stick it gently into the hole to guard the roots from any extra light that might get in there. Not too tightly, but it can also act as a modest support for the tenderling.

Yes, and I even tear off a little chunk from the edge and stick it gently into the hole to guard the roots from any extra light that might get in there. Not too tightly, but it can also act as a modest support for the tenderling.

this is a great idea, i do it for my clones when i used to use plugs. helps keep them snug in the plug:)(now just stick a cuttings in the dirt and done :))

watering them from the bottom is also a good idea. I have caught myself watering from the top only to realize i wasnt getting them wet to the bottom which can do some damage to some young'uns.

you can even put a little piece of foil over each plug, just cut it down the middle and around the stem. this helps retain moisture, protect the roots from light damage and prevents any algae growth.

Hope to see some pics of some new babies soon!!!:peace:

Back
Top Bottom